Advantages of Upgrading Technics SL1200 MKII to something vintage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rkellner, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My stance is to stop upgrading at a certain point (it is a lot of fun - but at some point I feel you should stop) - and simply find a second table that is different in many ways from the Technics - and simply enjoy both. My second table is a VPI Classic - let's see the differences:

10.5 inch arm
    20lb platter
    belt drive
    Massive plinth
    Uni pivot arm

Just some of the many differences. I had to draw the line at changing out the Arm - as I'm very happy with the arm on the M5G.

This way - at least you have something to compare against and understand the nuances with different table types.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Is that a KAB PS1200GX power supply and Cambridge Audio 640P phono amp on top of the CD player?

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - good eye.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Does the KAB power supply make a discernible improvement to the sound? I have a 1210MK2 with 640P, and have been considering the KAB fluid damper and power supply upgrades, but want to be sure one or both really make a good difference.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My understanding is that getting a better arm on the Technics table and adjustments to the power supply will make the 1200 a real performer. I'm not sure that $1200 spent on a different turntable would be as cost effective as upgrading the Technics table. In any case, I doubt the difference in the 'tables is a great as the differences in arms. My understanding is that the Technics 1200 is a good 'table coupled to a so-so arm.

delmonaco likes this.
  6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

A lot of folks aren't familiar with the Technics pedigree, namely that they often issued "armless" versions of their "armed" turntables. The Technics SL-120MK2 was/is the exact same table as the SL-1200MK2; but, came without an arm or often with an SME armboard for fitting, of course, an SME tonearm. I have an original Technics SME armboard that fits the SL-150, SL-120MK2 & SL-1200MK2 provided the right holes are drilled. Looking closely at many 1200MK2s, one can actually see the indentations for the 4 bolt holes of their SME armboard. So, changing out the arm is really not that wild of an idea for these tables. The SL-150MK1 & MK2, SL-120MK2, SL-110 (aside from the SP series) were/are all armless tables from the factory or designed to be used with different arms. But, I agree, other tables have different nuances. If I could have all the turntables I wanted... ...I'd be divorced. :D

7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Cool, he told me the same thing when I bought mine from him. Like I said, I can't say that I'm unhappy with it at all, I even love my cart (Shure V15 III with JICO SAS) and new tube phono stage (Parks Budgie) with it. I have a stock 1200 with an M97XE Shure cart with JICO SAS and Cambridge 651P in my living room system and while it's good enough for casual listening the M5G blows it away by far.

I think I'll probably put some isonoe footers on, mainly for aesthetics and leave the upgrades at that. All those bearing, platter, power supply, and tonearm upgrades sound cool but I agree with costerdock in that at some point it might have been easier or even cheaper to just buy a better turntable to begin with, but having something modded and tricked out is also pretty damn cool.

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My Technics M5G was bought brand spankin new from KAB - and when I spoke with Kevin - he was adamant that the table was dead silent - and didn't really need the external powersupply like the other models - but I wanted all the bells and whistles - so ordered that with some other stuff - he was correct - the table is dead silent. So the folks that swap out the powersupply must have some noise that just doesn't exist in the M5G. I'm glad I have it -but again - even using headphones - I could not tell any difference - quiet is quiet - I'm even using a Kimber DC cable to connect the DC power to the table - I think all the little upgrades add up.

If I had an older Technics - I'd go with the KAB powersupply - much cheaper than other models and Kevin is a great guy to deal with.

I love the fluid damper - that really does produce a noticeable difference.

Thanks,

9. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

It's not necessarily about transformer noise. My oldest 1200 is silent. However, a well designed psu has more benefits than just eliminating tranny hum. I'm probably preaching to the choir.

rebellovw likes this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Like I said I'm happy with it and even the MN bearing I feel it all adds up

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

In a similar situation. Having a technics sl1200 w kab upgrades i recently purchased a mint Thorens TD-147. A real beauty and i couldnt turn it down. want to a/b the two and pick out nuances. direct drive vs belt...should be fun!

rebellovw and 56GoldTop like this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Wow, I've never seen a linear arm mounted to a 1200 before. It looks even more frakenstein-esk than does my Linn with its ET-2 mounted on it. But I bet that it sounds good!

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Interesting.. I am quite happy with my Technics SL1200 stock unit i bought @ Guitar Center 7 years ago for around $425.00... best money i ever spent.. with my AT 440mla cart.. sound is amazing.. but as KAB has shown, you can do some nice upgrades to these puppies...!! :)

14. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

In the next fortnight I plan on finally purchasing a designbuildlisten "the wand" tonearm for my 1210mk2. It is meant to be an excellent (an affordable) tonearm upgrade for the 1200 and is highly reviewed. Will post when I have it all installed, which may take a while ahaha.

rebellovw likes this.
  15. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would be very interested in your thoughts once you compare!

theron d likes this.
  16. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Nice arm, that ET-2. :agree: I looked at that many times.

17. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I'd like to see that the results of that. For a while Funk Firm was offering a F*x? wand upgrade for the stock arm which kept the lovely VTA on the fly et al. I've seen one person with that upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't think Arthur offers that anymore.

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

What a coincidence - I bought mine at Guitar Center around 3-1/2 years ago (although used), and also use the 440mla. Love it for the most part.

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I spoke to another guy from NZ who has the upgrade on his 1200 via an email last night (kindly provided by Simon at designbuildlisten). He wrote a full and level response regarding the merits of 'the wand' in terms of detail retrieval and bass reponse, it definitely sounds like it is the way to go for the price, and nice to support a local producer of good quality gear! Will get back to people here after I have installed it and had some time with it! PS didnt mean to thread hijack, hope the OP is getting somewhere with his quest to upgrade his turntable (or 1200).

56GoldTop likes this.
  20. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's cool, keep the thoughts coming! KAB Damping, heat shrink tonearm, new feet, and maybe an acromat are starting to sound good!

21. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I hope the new Acromats sound better than the older ones, cause they really suck the life out of the music on any turntable I've tried it on. I've got a Herbies 5mm mat on my M3D, and it's not going anywhere.;)

jeff

22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Oh, that's not good to hear. In fact, I don't often hear that at all. I've been using the stock (thicker) mat with a DIY soft felt mat for a couple of years, now. :hide: The thick rubber mat squelches the platter pretty darn good (considering it's a sandwich, rubber on the underside of the platter as well) and the felt mat in between decouples the record from the mat, making the lower mids and bass sound less... ummm... rubbery. I was thinking a white Acromat would be really cool. Then again, when I finally get the ETP platter, I doubt I'll use anything but a felt mat. All reports say the ETP platter is dead as a doornail.

23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Will a cartridge upgrade make a greater difference? I also have a SL1200 and very nice pre, amp and speakers gear, but I've been reluctant to invest on a new TT. Could someone recommend me my next move? I currently carry an Ortofon Bronze cart

24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I love my AT440MLA great price on amazon.. IMO.. sounds wonderful..totally matches well with my sl1200mk5 and blew away the old shure m97x i had on there! (which was great for its time!) hope this helps... :)

motorcitydave likes this.
  25. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I would have thought the 440MLA would have been a backwards move or perhaps sideways at best? Perhaps a AT150MLX might be getting there? Maybe a ortofon black may be preferred if you already like the stock bronze sound. It can be upgraded just through a stylus upgrade too! Rather than the whole cartridge body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.