Adventures At RTI record pressing plant...AKA Relaxin' At Camarillo -Now with PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jefhart, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

My Adventures At RTI...AKA Relaxin' At Camarillo

Well, my family and I just got back from two great weeks vacationing in California. Why am I telling you this? Because during our time in Los Angeles, we were privileged to meet Steve and get a tour of AcousTech Mastering and the RTI pressing plant. When I posted, way back in June on a vacation thread, that I was coming to California, Steve was gracious enough to offer to give me and my family a tour. Needless to say, we took him up on the offer.

On our third day in LA we made the hour or so drive up to Camarillo. Finding RTI, tucked away in a small group of industrial buildings, was pretty easy. When we walked in, we were greeted by Don MacInnis, who owns the joint. He said that Steve and Kevin Gray weren't there yet (we were a little early), but were expected shortly. He gave us a brief history of AcousTech and RTI, and we discussed the Bruce Springsteen show he had seen the previous night at Dodger Stadium. Then Kevin walked in. He showed me and my family around the studio, patiently explaining what everything did. We had a nice chat, about The Beatles (naturally), and lots of other things. Then Steve walked in. After introductions all around, Steve pulled out a master tape of a very popular jazz album, by a popular jazz artist of the early 60's. Steve and Kevin then proceeded to cut me a test pressing, right before my eyes, of one of the songs (at 45 rpm of course). After the pressing was done, we looked through a microscope at the grooves. Really fascinating. They were wiggling all over the map. Steve and Kevin were kind enough to sign the pressing, and I had a truly unique souvenir. Wow!!

We then went on a tour of RTI, basically following the whole process from the creation of the metal master, mother and stamper to the pressing of the finished albums. We saw "raw" vinyl, both the regular kind, and the super fine stuff used in the 180 and 200g pressings. Yes, there really is a difference between the two. I also got another souvenir, a "biscuit", which is the glob of vinyl that the record labels are attached to, before it is squashed down flat. You're right, Steve, it makes a great paperweight on my desk at work. It's got labels from the "Miles Davis At The Blackhawk" album on it. One final souvenir was a mass of wispy thin vinyl that is the waste that gets sucked out when the grooves are being cut. Looks sort of like fuzzy hair. It's also pretty flammable.

After the tour we went out to lunch with Steve, Kevin, and Rick Hashimoto, RTI's Plant Manager. Went to Bandits, a great BBQ place. We had a great time eating and talking about a wide range of subjects, but, of course, mostly about music. I had a terrific BBQ Steak sandwich (thanks Rick, if you're lurking out there, it was a great recommendation), followed by the biggest hot fudge sundae I've ever seen. Steve was the only other person brave enough to tackle one. I think we both enjoyed it quite a bit. Back to RTI for some pictures (I'll e-mail them to you Steve, since I can't figure out how to post them on the forum), and goodbye.

It was really a great day. Steve and Kevin are two of the nicest guys you will ever meet on this planet, and everyone at RTI treated us royally. Thanks Don and Rick, for letting us poke around your place. Thanks so much to everyone we met, of course, particularly to Steve for setting the whole thing up and being so gracious to us. It was great fun meeting you and finding out that you are even nicer in person (if that's possible) than you are on the Forum. Thanks again, Steve. Also, loved the Roy Orbison story.

Jeff

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Jeff,

Glad you made it back safe; just in time for a nice three day weekend to recover.

It was great meeting you and your family; a truly nice, well behaved bunch!

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour of Record Technology/AcousTech. It's a neat place; technology old and new, working smoothly together to make neat sounding records. Ah, yes; they still make metal parts essentially the same way as they did in 1902! Things are automated somewhat now, but the idea is exactly the same. Fascinates the hell out of me to this day!

Tell Barrie that Kevin and I are going to go back to that BBQ place in your honor next week, heh. It wuz sure good! I'll skip the Hot Fudge Sundae this time though. (Since I had to do a night shift at Capitol on the day of your tour, I was sure the caffeine in the Fudge would keep me awake nicely, and it did).

Email me your snaps and I'll post them on this thread for you. Don't forget a few shots of you guys at Disneyland!

By the way, "Relaxin' At Camarillo", a Charlie Parker song, right?

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Very nice of you Steve:thumbsup: Oh yeah that's where Charlie had a bit of time to umm how would you say it MELLOW OUT for a bit as "BIRD" did need his rest and relaxation at the time. So what's he do he writes a tune about his time there?

Well I'm convinced by that story you're even a cooler guy than I thought you already were:cool: and that's always good to know about a person I like!

I can't wait to see these pictures. I loved the ones from the Peggy Lee remaster session of you at Capitol. I wasn't able to post as it was moved to the music section of the Forum and I had just seen them last night. You looked super intense in a few of those "I liked seeing that" it's one of those looks that says hey this is hard work but I love what I'm doing. :thumbsup:

I must say that although it's a bit late or early in the AM here on the East Coast, but I'm now dying for a nice Hot Fudge Sundae!!:D:

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wonderful story!!

5. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Great story Jefhart. I look forward to seeing the pix. It's great to know that Steve is as nice in person as he comes across on this board.

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Jeff,

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us!

Bob:D

7. Steve Hoffman

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jeff, you're one lucky guy. That's really a great story and experience. Nice of Steve to show you around. I mean where else can you get that kind of deal?

mud-

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Very cool! Glad that you had such a great time.

10. Steve Hoffman

Jeff sent me these shots to post for him. This is Kevin Gray, Jeff and myself at the start of the RTI tour:

Attached Files:

• one.jpg
      one.jpg
      File size:
      107.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Steve Hoffman

RTI Pressing Mgr Rick Hashimoto, Jeff and Kevin & I outside RTI:

Attached Files:

• two.jpg
      two.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Steve Hoffman

Jeff and Don MacInnis outside RTI:

Attached Files:

13. Steve Hoffman

Pressing a record:

Attached Files:

• four.jpg
      four.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Steve Hoffman

Watching the newly pressed record slide out.

Attached Files:

• five.jpg
      five.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Steve Hoffman

Behind Kevin Gray you can see thousands of LP metal masters, mothers and stampers being stored.

Attached Files:

• six.jpg
      six.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Steve Hoffman

Jeff doing what comes naturally. Barrie in shock.

(Note extra hot fudge in iron skillet).

Attached Files:

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve must be polite and keep his guest company. :D

Attached Files:

18. Steve Hoffman

Jeff's family; tired but happy. Jeff still standing (barely) after that giant hot fudge sundae.

Attached Files:

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Looks like a good time was had by all. :)

Thanks for sharing.

20. Steve Hoffman

Oops, I forgot one! This is the souvenir 45 RPM lacquer that Kevin was gracious enough to cut for Jefhart.

Attached Files:

21. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Great.. now I want a fudge sundae!

:D

Great pictures! Lovely family, Jeff! Glad you had a great time. Hey - what did your boys think of the tour?

22. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

That it's easier to burn a CDR :D.

23. Jefhart

Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. Barrie wasn't in too much shock since she's seen me eat a Hot Fudge Sundae before, though never one that big.:) Thanks for keeping me company, I know it was a great sacrifice for you to eat that sundae.:)

Thanks for all the replies guys, it really was a fun day........and my test pressing sounds fantastic Steve, another good job by you and Kevin.

Also, forgot to thank Rick for recommending Boo Boo's Records in San Luis Obispo, great store. Thanks Rick.

Jeff

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What was on the record?

25. Jefhart

It was one fine sundae, Jeff. How far is Camarillo from you? Worth the trip for the BBQ as well:)

My boys found the tour interesting, and enjoyed meeting everybody. They particularly enjoyed the lunch. My oldest son, Evan, took the video of the sundae eating, from which we took the photos. I didn't even notice him taking it until he was practically done. Sneaky devil.

Even though they are both young enough to be in the CD generation, they are familiar with records, unlike most of their peers, since I still have quite a few of them. It was something out of the ordinary for them, something I guarantee none of their friends will ever experience. They appreciate that.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.