Adventures In Mastering: ALICE COOPER "Billion Dollar Babies" for Audio Fidelity..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Hands down best forum on the planet.

2. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Can only agree.

ultron9 likes this.
  3. bezrin

bezrin New Member

Steve, you're missing my point.

Based on what I read here, I'm not sure what master you're working off of. Our album had crossfades (the "crossfade outtakes" referred to on the box are the left over tops and tails that we would edit out when we edited in our crossfades). If you have a tape that is missing the cross-fades then it's a later generation than our master.

If there are different tone levels on mixes then those are mixes from different places. Our album was mixed at the Record Plant in Studio A - always on the same machine, always with the same tones. The EQ master is the closest thing to what we wanted our album to sound like in the end. I don't expect you to use that. But I also don't expect you to dismiss it as not being the way we intended it. WE created it. So that's the closest expression of our vision at the time.

Of course I want it to sound great. Of course I'd love to hear it without the limitations imposed by vinyl. But while you're making something that wants to be sounding the way WE intended, I'd just like to know that you're actually paying attention to OUR master and that you're actually working off of our final mixes.

In the end, the easiest way to ensure that you're doing something that accurately reflects the intent of the creators would be to involve one of us in the process. As I said: we're not that hard to find.

Finally, I do appreciate all the time and hard work that you're putting into this and I'm not trying to quash interest in the new product. I just got a little worried when I read your original post.

Bob

4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Maybe bezrin and Steve could get together and do my favorite Alice title, Love it to Death in hi res. :)

SandAndGlass and Dino like this.
  5. junk

junk Hellion

I know...same thing I was thinking. :faint:

6. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

It would appear that Steve does not have the original master.

drift likes this.
  7. junk

junk Hellion

Sounds like.
    Seems like Mr. Ezrin might know where to find it...

8. ringosshed

The two disc BDB had a bonus track: Son Of Billion Dollar Babies (Generation Landslide Outtake) [3:45]. The master Steve shows us also has Son Of Billion Dollar Babies written on it. Was this really what the song was originally titled? Wouldn't the title have been changed on the master?

9. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Besides the recent Joe Walsh AF, this is going to be one of my favorites.

BDB is one album that has been with me since HS. Never tire of listening and ranks high on my album list.

I'm sure it will sound amazing and can't wait to get it.

junk likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It says "Formerly: Son Of Billion Dollar Babies" above the title, "Generation Landslide." As it is correct that GL was originally titled SOBDB, I don't see how we can necessarily deduce anything about the authenticity of the tape from that inscription.

I'm just saying: I don't know why anyone would have thought to include the former title on the tape box, but I don't find it all that significant. Now, if Bob Ezrin chimes in and says, "No, that's not the master, that's some other tape", then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but it isn't readily apparent to me that it's a problem just because it says, "Formerly: Son Of Billion Dollar Babies" on it.

Anyway, it's great to see Mr. Ezrin posting here and I'd pester him with questions but I'm sure he doesn't particularly relish the idea of being pestered with questions by a 49-year old Alice Cooper fan. So, I'll just tip my hat in salute to a great producer and musical genius. :tiphat:

11. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I'm definitely in for this one. An Alice classic that I can't have too many copies of. Saw him a couple months ago and he's still got it, even with that little gut protruding these days….

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Look, we used the original tapes, how many times do I have to post that pic? WB hates it when I post pics of their property but I'll do it again right now, for the last time. BOB IMG_20131111_102935_602.jpg

13. ringosshed

Agreed seeing Bob on here. I'm just trying to figure out if there are any clues on the tape box that would lead us to believe it is not in fact the master. It appears from what Bob is saying is that it is not.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. ringosshed

So Ezrin is lying? Re read his post.

15. Steve Hoffman

He is not lying, just a bit confused. Once again, you see the photo? Stop causing trouble.

Bob and I have spoken. He told me one of Alice's super-fans flagged the posting for him because he was upset at the inference that his "precious BDB was less than perfect in its form."

Since all 40 year old master tapes are usually messed up like this this is a non-issue.

With this pointless stuff I have to reluctantly end any and all future AF "Adventures In Mastering" threads. This will be the last one.

ad180 and junk like this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think that Bob said that definitively, I think that rather he was expressing some doubt based upon Steve's description of the tapes and what had to be done to them in the process of mastering. There could be several explanations for this that don't necessarily involve the wrong tapes being used. Anyway, I hope that Bob gets an advance copy and approves of it. That would be a good result.

Scott J, Blair G. and ringosshed like this.
  17. ringosshed

He wasn't definitive but raised serious questions that have yet to be answered.

18. Steve Hoffman

What questions?

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I really, really hope you don't end the 'Adventure In Mastering' threads. They are such a great read and very informative.

Pat

20. Steve Hoffman

I've been told to end them, sad to say.

21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really hope it does not come to that. The info is interesting and the teaser for what's to come gets us all excited and generates sales. I really hope this little misunderstanding can get cleared up quickly and amicably - little bs stuff like this should not put a damper on the enthusiasm we have for the forum and generally goodwill of the members here.

22. ringosshed

Based on what I read here, I'm not sure what master you're working off of. Our album had crossfades (the "crossfade outtakes" referred to on the box are the left over tops and tails that we would edit out when we edited in our crossfades). If you have a tape that is missing the cross-fades then it's a later generation than our master.

He is telling you that it is a later generation than his master. Could it be remotely possible that he might no what he is talking about being he produced the album?

BeatsByDre likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

You have it backward. The tape with the edits on all the songs is the master. There is only one. Everything else is a copy.

You're insulting me, Stephen Marsh, our record company, Warner Bros. Records and all who worked on this. You think we can't tell a master tape from a copy? Do you know how long we had to wait and what hoops we had to jump through to get the actual Warner Bros. original master tapes on this album? And now you're casting doubt that we are even when I showed you a photo of the tape box and described our entire mastering process in detail?

It sounds to me like you have an agenda.

George P, Gardo, chilinvilin and 16 others like this.
  24. ringosshed

Ok you mean Ezrin has it backwards. I was quoting him.

BeatsByDre likes this.
  25. moops

moops Senior Member

Wait until the The Wall obsessives find out !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.