Adventures In Mastering: "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" 360 Stereo Gold CD from AF..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So there weren't any?

Thanks, you answered my question.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unless there were some sort of rare (promo?) stereo singles that I'm not aware of, which is extremely unlikely, the 45s were mono.

3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Of course, what was I thinking?
    I don't know why but I thought Dylan may have had stereo and mono mixes for the 45s.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This is excellent news! I can't to get my hands on a copy. My first Dylan CD was the old U.S. pressing. The sound is O.K. I am very eager to hear the gold disc.

5. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Worth the purchase for "It Ain't Me Babe" alone... thanks Steve & AF

6. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Thank you. :righton:

7. Ah well, kinda figured as much about the poster. The music content and how it sounds is all that really matters anyway.
    Great pick Marshall! :cheers:

8. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I am very happy that we get another SH mastered Dylan disc. I treasure my Highway 61 DCC.

My only question is why couldn't the issuing record company be convinced to let you do the mono version of the album as well as a two-fer definitive version of this classic album? Would an SH remaster the mono album be an improvement over Sundazed's mono LP?

I hope that the issuing record company includes the poster with the album.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Stereo or mono, the only "unique" single mix that I can think of offhand is the one used for "Most Likely You Go Your Own Way And I'll Go Mine" when it was used as a b-side (I put unique in quotes because this same mix also appeared on the Canadian "Blonde on Blonde" mono LP). But as the song isn't on Greatest Hits (and is mono to boot), it's clearly not relevant in this case.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Can`t wait.I`m also going to have few people over to listen.

11. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that anytime a song from "Blonde On Blonde" has been put on CD, it has been a remix and not the original stereo mixdown?

If that is true, it'll be nice to finally see some of the original mixes from that album surface on CD. A must for this music fan! :righton:

12. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Excellent, I too got this album as a kid and it taught me Dylanology immediately, I loved each and every song on it. A great LP and perfect education to be introduced to Bob.

This will definitely be a future purchase. Congrats, Steve!

13. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Been waiting for this for 45 years. Steve, have you ever met Mr. Dylan?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would *think* the GH CDs would use the original mixes (which ones, I don't know), but I'm not certain. That is, I'm assuming the GH/GHII compilation masters were used for the CDs.

Roger would know for certain.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's true, all the Blonde on Blonde stereo CDs have been modern remixes.

I linked to Roger Ford's amazing site earlier in the thread, but here's the specific page where he summarizes the differences between all the various mixes of the album over the years and then goes into detailed song by song analysis. It's staggering. I can't think of another album that's had such a complicated (indeed, convoluted) mix history.

http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart2/BobPart2.htm

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even for the Greatest Hits CDs?

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Two of the greatest compilations of all-time. Can't wait to hear Steve's magic touch.

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That I can't say (I should have phrased my earlier post more accurately). I don't think I own a copy of Greatest Hits 1 on CD.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

"Tomorrow is a Long Time" and "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

This is jumping the gun, but if it happens, we all want it done right...

I don't think Greatest Hits Vol. 2 has EVER used the first-generation master for either of these songs. "When I Paint My Masterpiece" and "Watching the River Flow" are from the same sessions, but "When I Paint My Masterpiece" sounds like a few generations removed. "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" comes from the April 12, 1963 Town Hall concert, and it sounds better on a few bootlegs (particularly the recent complete mono bootleg) than it ever did on Greatest Hits Vol. 2.

It's probably telling that both tracks appear back-to-back on that compilation, and they did some weird transition/splice where it cuts directly from the applause after "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" to the first note of "Masterpiece." One suspects that the original tapes for both were dubbed down to another piece to make this (rather pointless) splice.

PLEASE use the first generation tape. If you need to fade out of the applause and leave a second or two of silence before going into "Masterpiece," that's FINE by me.

rxcory likes this.
  20. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

How much will this cost in NZ currency? and do these get stocked in music stores?

This might be the time to get my first Dylan CD.

21. Fantastic!

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This really is outstanding

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Count me in for Greatest Hits & especially GH vol. II (if that ever happens). It would be great to have the tracks with Happy Traum mastered by our friends at AF.

Sundazed used the poster for thier reissue of the GH album but I believe it was smaller scale. I have the original Glaser poster in a frame. Love it.

24. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

An instant purchase, easily.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I can see this easily becoming my most cherished AF disc.