SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff.

Welcome to SH :). I'm glad you quoted that post from Steve as I had missed it earlier. As you stated it is inspiring and refreshing to see Steve go to great lengths to find a workplace that shares his ideals.

Bill

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Where did you preorder them from? Both the America and the Rush SACDs are available from Audio Fidelity.

Bill

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

importcds back in August.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I posted a very positive review here, and sellers tend to hang on my every word. That's just how it is. Sorry.

;)

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

The 5-10 days thing with importcds in my experience with them in multiple orders, usually means a product is backordered. I'd make other plans.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't preorder the America SACD from importcds. But I could have bought it from them but I waited too long and now it is out of stock. It was at a great price of $15.50 plus shipping. So I'll wait till it becomes available again at close to that price as it isn't a must have title for me. But I do want to eventually buy it so I can hear the great job that Steve did on it :).

Bill

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You are correct in that "Ships In 5-10 Days" normally means out of stock. The America SACD is now listed at importcds as "Item Currently Unavailable". So it would be a good idea to look some place else.

Bill

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Good point. And why not press more when they sell out so quickly?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The America SACD shows as being in stock at Audio Fidelity. I'm not sure how AF handles selling there titles to resellers. But maybe they only release so many then leave the remaining quantities to sell on their own site.

Bill

11. stever

stever Senior Member

I waited for weeks to order it from importcds.com, but finally went to Elusive Disc because they had it in stock.

12. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Didn't know it was "rare." Now my disc sounds even better, folks.

13. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

They both appear to still be available...direct from Audio Fidelity's website.
    http://www.audiofidelity.net/

14. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

I finally got to listen to this last night, and yep, can only echo the praises throughout this thread. I've never owned this album in any form, so most of the tracks were completely new to me. A decent lp, and certainly a solid debut from the young kids that they were then. The sound, well, i can't imagine this sounding any better. Thanks Steve, for another superb release!

15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

amazon has mine as shipping soon.

16. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

4 new ones now at Amazon, in stock for $19. There was 5 just a minute ago :cool:

17. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Thanks. I had this on pre-order at amazon.co.uk but it still hasn't shipped so I'll get it from .com now.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I bought the America SACD from importcds for $15.50 (plus shipping) as they had some in stock. I look forward to giving it a good listen although I have no other versions to compare to the SACD.

Bill

19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I recieved my copy earlier this week and finally got the chance to hear it today and boy does it sound good it was certainly well worth waiting for.

20. Gmat25

Gmat25 Forum Resident

Love this SACD. Reminds me of the vinyl I first had. Listen and you can hear when the engineer clicks on each acoustic guitar mike one by one
    on Here. Warm clean sound! Thanks Steve! Available again at Audio Fidelity; Amazon; Imports and more. Get this!

ultron9 likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just listened to the America SACD and it sounds outstanding :)! The acoustic guitars sound so lifelike and natural. Excellent soundstage and depth as there is almost a surround like effect at times. This is the first version of this album I have owned. Although a fellow member sent me a RBCD copy to compare the SACD to. I can't wait for the Boz Scagg's S/T SACD to be released. Thanks Steve for another outstanding job :)!

Bill

ultron9 likes this.
  22. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Love the sound of this sacd. I heard the cd version several years back (borrowed from a friend) and that doesn't sound this good.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You know that's a Kevin Gray remastering, right ? Kevin's work is of the highest of quality of course, just wanted to be sure you knew. The upcoming Warren Zevon is Steve's.

24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I dunno, Michael Jackson - Thriller [DSD] DSF download (which Acoustic Sounds claims to be produced from a Sony SACD cutting master) features pretty extreme DSD audio peaks of +7.8dBFS DSD (or +1.8dBFS PCM), but foo_input_sacd plug-in performs its DSD-to-PCM conversion with no clipping whatsover...

25. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Finally heard this - can't believe how different it sounds from the version up on Rhapsody - almost like a different mix (in a good way)!