Advice needed for tripod and head

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KLM, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok, so I just got back into 35 mm photography. Actually, I was never really in but had a camera that a fooled around with. I bought a Nikon FM 3A and have added three lenses and several filters. I am armed with a Domke camera bag and Nikon Flash and have been busy on weekends and recent vacation trips shooting away.

So the next thing I probably need is a decent tripod with head. Any suggestions? I prefer outdoor black and white photography but also take some inside as well. Looking for a high quality (probably used) and versatile model and have been told that either Gitzo or Bogen are the way to go.

I've also been told that a ball head is a nice option but am concerned about the weight of the camera with my zoom lens (80 - 200mm).

So what do those in the know know? Anything other tips on choosing the right tripod and head would be greatly appreciated as well as websites for advice.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SLIK made a great tripod in the 80's...It was great with my Olympus OM-2n System. It's a tripod jungle:)

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Look through the various forums at www.photo.net (Camera Equipment community in this instance http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-one-category?topic_id=1544&category=Tripods/Camera Support). (The site can be slow at times :agree: )

Bogen (referred to as Manfrotto in Europe), Gitzo, Slik all make some very good tripods. If you are going to be trekking with the tripod it pays to look at the weight to save wear on your legs :)

A quality ball-head like those made by Arca-Swiss would have no trouble with the weight of camera and lens but they do cost. There are also accessory plates made by the likes of Kirk that fit over the ball to prevent any camera movement whilst the outfit is being carried.

All the best - Andrew :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.