Advice Needed On Turntable Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mjfan26, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjfan26

mjfan26 Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I have saved a little money and have a budget of around $3,500 for a new turntable. Can anyone recommend a turntable around this price range? I'm looking for something that is going to produce incredible sound and a very noticeable difference from my current Dual 550.

I have a Sony DA5500ES receiver (phono input) and B&W CDM-9NT Front Speakers. I'm actually pretty impressed with the sound quality from this setup, but I can't help but think how much better the vinyls would sound with a high quality turntable.

My vinyl collection pretty much consists of Michael Jackson, so I'm looking for something that can really produce clarity and really show his music on a mother level.

Do I need to spend $3,500 is the other question?

I was thinking the Rega RP8?

2. mjfan26

My current cartridge is a Ortofon Blue

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I love on a "mother" level :)

farmingdad likes this.
  4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

With your current set up (Dual 505?) I would suspect a weak point is the AVs built in phono section. I would initially look to getting a standalone Phono stage, may be a loaner? And trying the sound via a line level input. This proved a serious step up with my Pioneer LX86.

mjfan26 likes this.
  5. mjfan26

Any recommendations on a phono pre-amp?

6. The quick answer is NO, you don't need to spend $3,500. However, I'm a huge believer in source first so I won't say not to spend that much. Get yourself a nice turntable/tonearm combo around $2,000, and $1,500 for a nice cartridge and phono pre. A Clearaudio setup would be sweet!

mjfan26 likes this.
  7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well I'm well at the entry stage myself. But I'd have to consider the phono amp in line with it working with the "next" turntable, ie to allow for working with mc in the future or not. In the UK mm only the Rega, Lehmann, Graham Slee.

8. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

A VPI Scout w/a Musical Surroundings Phenomena II phono and a 2M Black cart would make a great combo. It would keep you right on budget.

9. mjfan26

anyone have any advise on a particular turntable?

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Contact Seth at SoundStage Direct. He is a forum member here. I bought a VPI Classic 1 with a Ortofon 2m Black cart a couple months and absolutely love it. Seth gave me a sweet deal.

11. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

To get "a mother level" branch out from MJ to JB, ; )

Colin M likes this.
  12. russk

russk Forum Resident

So many combos to pick from. Assuming you definitely want to keep the Sony and not grab a Rega Brio or Elex integrated and a table like a SOTA Jewel or an RP6 and throw a 2m Bronze on whichever you get (which is the way I'd go, since the Rega Integrateds have decent phono stages). I guess I'd grab a Lehmann black cube and the SOTA Jewel with the Rega arm and the Bronze or maybe push the financial limits and grab a Michell Gyrodec with a bronze and the cheap Rega pre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.