Advice on Belden 9497 Speaker Cable!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Why Man, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Gumboo likes this.
  2. Bill Why Man

Bill Why Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

After much consideration, your thoughtful and cogent writing contributions and experiences with unterminated Duelund 16wga speaker wire has me sold. I've ordered two 3-meter runs at a negligible cost over similarly lengthened banana-plugged Belden 9497's (which I'm sure are also quite good). I also like the aesthetics of the black cotton wrap over the orange-and-black coils. Parts Connexion has just shipped it from Canada. I'm looking forward to hearing the Duelunds for myself. Thanks, Russ!

Happy holidays,

Bill

33na3rd and russk like this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Thanks. I don't think you'll be disappointed and they do look nice and are really easy to route.

Happy holidays to you.

4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Hi Bill,

I hope you'll post your impressions for us after you've had them set up a bit.

Thanks!

5. Bill Why Man

I've had them hooked up since yesterday. So far, so impressive. I'll get back on my impressions after a few days of burning my ears in some LPs.

googlymoogly, 33na3rd and russk like this.
  6. Vince325

Vince325 New Member

Beavis thanks for the kind words, appreciate it. Oh and what Shindo are you running just curious? Thanks again

7. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

You are very welcome!
    I have a Shindo Montille amp and a Monbrison preamp, along with a McIntosh MC 225 and MC 250. The 9497 works well on everything and is unbeatable for the price (and easy to work with)!

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

So, how could I order 50 feet of the Duelund DCA16ga speaker cable on Parts Connection? What do I put in the quantity box?

Thanks for the help.

9. 50’=15.24 meters.

10. stereoguy

Oh! I see. I thought it had to be two runs of 25ft or something like that...
    Thank you.

11. Bill Why Man

You can request your order to be cut into equal runs in the comment section on your order page, if needed. They will obliged my request for four equal runs of 3 meters.

Remember to order four runs—two for each speaker.

33na3rd likes this.
  12. stereoguy

But I dont *have to*, right? I could just order the total length I need in meters and cut it to size myself, right?

13. Vince325

Vince325 New Member

Googlymoogly thanks for the kind words glad the wire worked out for you. Always good to hear positive feedback. Just curious what speakers are you running?

googlymoogly likes this.
  14. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Paradigm Studio 100, version 2.

15. Bill Why Man

You bet. Less work for them!

16. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I just received a pair of Belden 8042 Tuneful Interconnects to connect from my turntable to my MoFi Phono Preamp. Can anyone explain the directionality of these cables? I was assuming that the direction of the writing on the Tuneful label and the Belden printing on the cable would be the direction for the cables. In other words, the direction should be going away from the source or my turntable and into the preamp. Whatever direction the writing is headed is the direction (arrow) for the cables, correct? I contacted Tuneful through ebay where I purchased them and I got some really confusing answers. Also, the purple Tuneful heat shrink label/wrap is closest to where I plug them into my turntable. Does this sound all correct?

17. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Not every cable manufacturer believes in directionality. If it's not specified, go with whatever sounds best to you.

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Going in the direction of the writing is generally a safe bet. Does Tuneful connect the shield at both ends?

19. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I have no idea if they do. I am assuming yes. All of my cables I have always connected the way you stated (going in the direction of the writing). I had some conversation with the seller/company and it was confusing me, but I think possibly they didn't understand that I was connecting these interconnects from my turntable to my phono preamp.`

20. Bill Why Man

Seancito,

I can’t help you with the cables’ directionality, but I have been terribly interested in their affect on the sound, connectivity, value, quality, etc.

If you wouldn’t mind posting some observations after some use, I’d be quite interested in hearing them as I’ve considered the purchase myself (I’m assuming these are the $64.95 ones on that big auction site).

Thanks,

Bill

21. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Hi Bill,

I have only about an hour use on them, so it's a bit early to tell now, but my first impressions are positive for these cables. The build quality is nice and the rca connectors are solid. I had a pair of Luminous Audio Monarch cables that were too long for my setup, and I needed and preferred something shorter from my turntable to my phono preamp.

I'm also at the tail end of breaking in some Morrow MA3 interconnects which are connected from my phono preamp to my integrated amplifier, so once everything settles in it might be the best for me to give a clear observation. There is one blog that did a review of the cables (they weren't from Tuneful, but same Belden cables) and it was positive.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  22. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I just checked, and Tuneful does connect the shield at both ends. Many find this cable sounds best when wired up this way.

@Seancito, this means you should be good to go with following the direction of the writing.

@Bill Why Man, I have a set of 8402's from a different source and am surprised how nice they sound. I've tried them after both of my phono units, and after my DAC with nice results. I want to do a comparison against my shielded Duelund 16 gauge, also a very nice inexpensive cable, but have some house projects to take care of first.

23. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

And by that you mean the direction of the writing would replace an arrow on the cable? Like the label has "Tuneful" printed on them and writing is in the direction from my turntable to phono preamp?

24. russk

russk Forum Resident

Shot you a PM. Basically having the shield terminated at both ends is a more unusual style of terminated the cables, it can make them more prone to noise. If you do have that style, made popular by Jeff Day, then it shouldn't really matter. Try them both ways for piece of mind. If the shield is only terminated on one side most people have been connecting that side to they're preamp. In your case I would definitely try both ways, one way might provide you with a quieter connection.

Personally I really like the 8402, it's inexpensive, flexible and easy on the gear, sounds great. If you try the cable with the shield terminated at both ends and have any noise issues just get one that is only terminated on one end.

That said going from your turntable to phono preamp you might want to try a lower capacitance cable. KAB USA actually has a pretty good deal on a low capacitance Mogami cable, their "Art Pop" cable and some good Litz cables. I'd get a pair of the Art Pop cables and compare them. They are around 20 bucks I think. They are the best inexpensive IC around.

25. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Shoot...now you have me thinking about capacitance. I have my Belden 8402's connected to my MoFi phono preamp and then the preamp connected with a pair of Morrow MA3 interconnects to a Rogue Audio Sphinx. I have a Shure V15V-mr cartridge. Is this a correct capacitance measure?