Advice On Musical Enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dwmann, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I became an avid music fan at an early age - I bought a Scott 342C, Garrard SL72B (later upgraded to a Dual 1229), and a set of Sterling Electronics in-house speakes with the proceeds from a paper route when I was 11 years old. (1967) I began seriously collecting records in the 1970s when a friend became involved with JEM Records, which I think was the first company to import European albums into the US on a large scale. I bought imports because they sounded better. I loved listening to music back then. I listened to music all the time. And now I don't, and I'm wondering why.

I started converting to CD about 1986. I bought a high end Sony ES CD player to complement a system that consisted of dual McIntosh MC7270 amps bridged for mono and a pair of Klipshorns. I was so blown away by the detail and dynamics of CD (AND the convenience and absence of surface noise.) I thought I'd hardly ever listen to records again, and sold many of those I had (mostly 60s collector stuff). I listened to CDs all the time. A couple of thousand CDs later I find I hardly ever listen to music anymore, except on long road trips in the car. (I hardly ever listen to ANYTHING while driving in the city. I find it distracting - probably a holdover from years of riding a motorcycle.)

I can ENJOY music in the car. CDs sound great in the car. But for the most part, the Macs and the K-horns are just gathering dust. I used to sit and LISTEN to LPs, but I never seem to listen to CDs very long. (Even my DCCs and MFSLs - probably because I've heard most of those titles SO many times I'd just rather hear something else.) These days I get tired of music very quickly and go off to do something else. I just don't enjoy it that much. But in the car, or sometimes when I hear the radio playing over someone's cheap stereo, it's almost like I'm hearing the old magic again.

The question is, what's going on? I don't think I'm just tired of music. I don't think it's the setup. The Macs have a VERY tubey sound for solid state equipment, and I've always been in love with K-Horns. Perhaps K-Horns aren't the best speakers for CD? Or do I just not like the way CDs SOUND? Is it the dynamic range, which is what attracted me to CD in the first place? In comparison, vinyl sounds so SMALL. But maybe that's what I used to like about it? I still have an old B&O turntable, but compared to CD, vinyl just doesn't seem to cut it. I would probably have to give up CD altogether and get used to LP sound all over again. I know a high end turntable would sound a lot better than the B&O, but I hate to invest the $$$ if it's just going to sit there. I have no idea if it would make that much difference.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I just discovered this board recently, but you all seem like knowlegable hard core music fans. I'm starting to think CDs just aren't MUSICAL. SOMETHING just isn't there. But I can't be sure. In the last couple of weeks I've started buying a lot of DCC and MFSL discs, and they do seem to make a difference over the standard releases, but they're kind of expensive and there are only a few hundred available titles. Maybe I should just go back to vinyl. But HOW? How do you guys switch back and forth from vinyl to CD. It's two completely different sounds. Or does a high end turntable make THAT much difference?

I haven't heard DVD-audio or SACD, but if they continue to be anything like the old quad mixes that tried to put you in the middle of the stage, I won't be interested AT ALL. I don't want to hear the drums behind my head. Sometimes I think MONO was the peak, and it's been all downhill from there. COMMENTS????

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What I think? You can experience periodic music burnout.

Also, CDs have less dynamic range now because of the continued practice of mastering engineers digitally compressing/limiting the music in the effort to get the sound as loud as possible.

You guessed in about many DVD-A discs. They are mixed to put you in the band instead of in front of it. I also have no use for this gimmickry!

I also think some music is better left in MONO.

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

If you still are using your 1986 vintage Sony cd player you might try auditioning some of the new CD gear that's available...you may find that the sound is much improved.

Good luck!

4. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Add to my list of questions: Who makes a good CD player these days? I upgraded to the Sony ES in 1989 ($1200). One reason I have never upgraded again is the fact that the dealer who sold me most of my equipment over the years told me a couple of years ago that most manufacturers today were concentrating on lower end CD changers or DVD players. I haven't even SEEN a single disc audiophile-grade CD player in a long time that didn't cost mega- mega- megabucks.

5. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

If your Sony has a digital out I would highly recommend purchasing a new DAC from companies like MSB, Musical Fidelity and others.

I went that route with my circa 1988 Pioneer 9700 cd player by purchasing an ADCOM 700 DAC and enjoy a major improvement in sonics.

A friend of mine went the same route with similar results. He also uses K-horns.

Just last month I hoooked up my cousin with a used ADCOM 600 DAC. He spent all night listening and called me next day to tell me that he would not have believed the improvement in his system.

Hope this helps.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That is very true. Many base their negative view of CD on old players.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've never heard single ended triode amps myself, but
    I've read reviews that gush over the musical "magic" and involvment they can bring (and you've already got horn loaded speakers). Maybe you should audition some. In the past, I've been surprised that I can enjoy music so much in the car compared to home (at times). Wonder what the pyschological reasons for that may be?

8. NealW

NealW New Member

Firstly i agree with the people about upgrading your CD player. first of all you could look at getting a better DAC and using your player as a a transport. i had a relatively cheap upgrade to my CD player which made a startling difference. the clock was upgraded with a seperate power supply and some adjustments were made to my DAC and a new power cord put in (total cost $300). now my CD player is so much closer to the sound of my turntable it is like night and day BUT the turntable is still king. so i suggest you get into LP's again it is very cheap don't be afraid of second hand goods except cartridges (i believe you should buy a new one). i bought a micro seiki turntable (out of production but built to last $220), grado gold cartridge $ 150.

i have increased my LP collection by arround 200 LP's in the last 6 months (cost $300) so no problem in getting the software.

the sound of vinyl is so relaxing and easy compared to CD and that is the reason you will find yourself sitting in front of your Hi-Fi again. i find when i play my CD player despite the improvements i usually am working arround the house (i.e. it is not serious listening but rather background music).

you have such great equipment you owe it to yourself to take the plunge

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you are just tired, DWMann. Bored. Music is lifeless - it does not 'move' you anymore. It's dull. All the same.

Try something that gets you going. In the car, you crank the tunes, pedal to the metal (well, within reason, right? ;) ) and have FUN! At home, stand up and do the air guitar thing (even if you have to make sure you're alone!) Upgrading the CD player will give you better sound, fer sure! Invite some friends over and do an A/B/C test of the same album and discuss the differences! Have 'listening parties'! Go on quests to find obsure CDs (like the Japanese Abbey Road, released in the '80's and pulled off the shelves!)

Try playing CDs and NOT sitting in front of the stereo system. Just have "music in the house". You'll find life more enjoyable (at least I do) and you'll also find yourself diving to the stereo to hear a particular passage (WHAT was that guitar player DOING!?!? type of thing!)

I'm glad you joined up here. Lots of very interesting people here! And some scary ones, too (I'd love to know how many people here are mastering enginers and other significant music industry people! I would not be suprised in Nancy Sinatra was here!.................... Actually that would be soooo cool!!! Did you catch the link to her web site?)

And you are exposed to other types of music - funk, country, jazz, etc.....! Try them - you might like them!

Have fun - my basic message. Enjoy!

10. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I think that LPs force you to listen. With CDs it's much easier to play one or two tracks, then pop another CD into the player and play one or two tracks and so on. You don't do that with LPs - it may not even have sth to do with sound quality. It's just so convenient to hit the "play" button instead of brushing the record surface, lowering the needle, then carefully putting it back into the sleeve...

Arne

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

True, Arne! A CD is more like an entertainment device - skipping tracks, rotating to the next disc at will, reversing the timer so it counts backwards to see how much time is left on the song, etc., etc.

A turntable has to be watched carefully, the arm raised, make sure it does not skip, listen closely for the newest 'pop' or 'click', etc. More of the "Serious Audioplile Experience" with a TT - for me at least.

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

A recommendation....

Go back and listen to music that was recorded with "real" instruments from the 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's when there was a dedication to recording music created with these "real" instuments in a more dynamic, musical way. You may rediscover the musicality of listening to recordings!

Bob :)

13. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

Like Marcus Welby, M.D., I'm not a Physician, but I'll play one on the internet at times.

Listening to recorded music is not perfect and I too find that I am in a rut.

Here's my suggestion. Go hear some live music. Go to a jazz club and listen. Go to a symphony and listen. Heck, go listen to the blind fella playing guitar outside the Metro stop on Dupont Circle.

The key is music is meant to be listened and shared with others! I find when I attend the free concerts in the park that I really enjoy the music.

Go to a movie and pay attention to the soundtrack.

Another thing, buy some stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Go to the "World Music" section of Tower Records. Avoid Newage though. LP collecting is great here as you can go to a big used record store and fins lots of long lost goodies.

What not to do: DO NOT BUY NEW EQUIPMENT!! To me, buying new equipment is the equivalent of buying a new car just to have something new, not something you need. You can buy an inexpensive turntable if you wish to experiment with cheap plentiful used LPs.

As for CD players, when I can recall the website, I will post it. This modifier has some interesting views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.