Advice on new 4K TV

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Isamet, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m looking at getting a 4K TV. I also want to upgrade my Blu Ray player so I can watch 4K movies. My main question is can anyone recommend a Blu Ray player in the $300 to $400 range that also plays SACD’s?

And secondly since I’ll have the ability to have Dolby Atmos, I figure I’d need a receiver capable of playing it?

All help is welcome

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Pickings are slim, but this would be worth a look: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...-blu-ray-player-black/6336494.p?skuId=6336494

Correct.

Lownote30 and Isamet like this.
  3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

OLED is a must..........IMHO

chili555, Grootna, Exotiki and 5 others like this.
  4. slazechko

slazechko Forum Resident

OLED is absolutely the best option, but it's also more expensive.

long story short get an LG OLED. the C models are the sweets pot (Has the exact same panel/processor as the more expensive models, so identical picture quality). The more expensive models in the range just have better built in speakers (which you don't want to use anyway) and fancier stands. Not worth it IMHO.

rtings.com is the go to place for TV ratings and reviews.

Snargfarg, chili555, Grootna and 4 others like this.
  5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I bought a 65" LG OLED a few months ago and the picture quality is outstanding. No regrets!

6. Isamet

7. Isamet

How are the Hisense? I’ve seen some good reviews on them, though I don’t know if they’re OLED

8. Isamet

I looked into the OLED just now and unfortunately it’s not in my price range :(

9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

What is your price range and size?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. Isamet

70 inches and $1000 max

11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

TCL 65" 65R635 in that range. Great HDR picture and Roku OS makes all other smart TVs seem like works-in-progress.

I love my LG C8 OLED, nothing like it for nighttime movie/TV viewing (especially HDR), but it's not perfect for bright rooms and sometimes I miss the brightness of my previous TCL 55P607 for daytime soccer viewing.

Isamet and Mccrip like this.
  12. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I got the new Vizio P75QX-H1 and it's the best looking television I've ever had. Color saturation and brightness that doesn't make me miss plasma.
    It's a 75 inch tv and on picture quality easily beats the 4 year old 65" Sony that I had previously, which was more expensive (and had hdmi inputs that burned out)
    It's pricey, but I'm not disappointed. It's the first tv I've been enthusiastic about in years.
    The streaming quality of the built apps is outstanding. I'm disconnecting my Apple TV if I convince myself to drop one streaming service that the Vizio doesn't offer. Speaking of Apple TV, the Dolby Vision picture that it offers isn't superior to the picture of the 1080P picture offered with the built in streaming apps. They are comparable once picture settings are adjusted.

Shawn and Isamet like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Check out Costco after doing your homework. Sometimes they have the best price. Then again, Wal-Mart might also have good prices... :shrug:

Isamet likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've also got an LG OLED - one of the last of the 2016 4K and 3D models - and I love it.

My Panny plasmas looked great but not as great as the OLED - and the passive 3D on the OLED >>> the active 3D on the plasma.

That's not an issue now - not unless you find a used 2016 - but the OLED looks great for 2D as well!

Isamet likes this.
  15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I think most of Sony players support sacd

Isamet likes this.
  16. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Yeah I’ve been holding off only because my plasma is still here, looking great and doing 3D from the old ps3 games and blu rays. I kind of wish I had picked up one of the older oleds with 3D but prices were higher back then!

Isamet likes this.
  17. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

For the money you want to spend, TCL 65" or the Vizio PQ series 65". I went with the Vizio and the picture is awesome, but the software isn't as good as the TCL. I use an Apple TV for content, so the software isn't a big issue for me.

Isamet likes this.
  18. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Best Buy has 70" TV's from LG and Samsung starting at $599.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  19. Isamet

Yes, I saw that but not too impressed with the number of HDMI ports they have. Two at most. My old Samsung had 3. Though I will check out the LG's.

20. Isamet

I believe this one was highly rated by CNET. I just wish it came in 70 inches. 75 is too large for my wall

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65...oc=CBS+Interactive+Inc.&ref=198&skuId=6367717

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I second/third/whatever the LG C series. Best picture out-of-the-box by a long shot. Plus, it has the best remote I've ever used. It works like a wireless mouse, where you can move it around to type things on the on-screen keyboard. Also, it's RF, which means you don't have to aim it directly at the TV to get it to work. The built-in apps are pretty good, too. Possibly not as good as Roku's lineup, but I'd go for the LG and just buy a Roku if you prefer the Roku's interface and app options.

Isamet likes this.
  22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat but need to stay on a budget since I "had" to buy some audio gear this year. Would like to stay in the $500-$800 range for a 65" (can't go bigger in current setup).
    Can't seem to find one with a decent refresh rate for sports that also has a great picture. The whole scam of calling a 60hz refresh rate "tru motion 120" is deceptive imo.
    Been wary of tcl and vizio despite some good ratings. Any suggestions?

23. Isamet

Can you tell me the model number you bought?

24. Isamet

If i'm looking at the correct item are you talking about their CX series? If so, it's out of my budget unfortunately.

25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Unless you buy a left over model from last year at a discount or may find a great sale or an open box or floor model on something better you have basically three choices TCL 6 series, Hisense H9G or Vizio M series Quantum or if you stretch price wise P series Quantum. Samsung Q80T or Sony X900H if you can find them below $1,000 maybe.

Isamet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.