Advice please on tube amp pairing with ProAc 140 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having never heard a tube amp, I’m intrigued, and am going to start looking at options over the next few months. Really happy with my current amp (Cambridge 840A v2) – it’s a cracking piece of kit – but want to delve in to tube world and see what all the fuss is about. From what I’ve read, SE seems to be where the magic is.

Speakers are ProAc Studio 140 mk2 - has anyone any experience of or advice around pairing these with an integrated tube amp with please?

Speaker specs:
    - Impedance: 4 ohms nominal, 3.2 minimum (this is from their website, but interestingly the sticker on the back of the speakers says 8 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum…)
    - Sensitivity 91db linear
    - ProAc recommends 15-250 watts…

Amp budget would be around £1000. Would consider used.

I listen to wide a range of music, and it would need to be able to drive them all to reasonable levels, in a 250 square foot room.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Rob

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I have a 45-watt Audio Research tube integrated with ProAc speakers of similar specs in a 180-SF room. It's a very nice combination but I occasionally wonder if I'd be better off with more power. Every now and then, I want it loud.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A friend uses a Croft valve power amp with his floorstanding ProAcs, I'm not sure which models either are, but they are a rather magical combination and I write that as someone who is a dedicated solid state user.

4. Shiver

Thanks guys.

Bob - one would hope 45w was enough to be honest! Does it just start clipping, notably, when trying to push them that bit harder?

I know some here happily drive less efficient speakers with fewer watts, but I guess it depends on your own set up and requirements. Listening to easy music at sensible volumes is one thing, but I’d really miss not being able to crank-up some rock or large orchestral pieces – feel the force. Maybe it’s an unrealistic expectation for tube amplification at this price level?

There are a couple of stores in this region where I’ll be able to organise a demo (though limited brands); but for now will see if any used options come up locally, and will certainly keep the above suggestions in mind – cheers.

5. Shiver

... Any more thoughts or suggestions around this please?

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Line Magnetic.

7. Shiver

Cheers, but as far as I can see Line Magnetic aren't really found in the UK yet. It's a shame as they seem to get universal praise.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How about Rogue Audio? Shame LM aren't in the UK ...

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don't know that I've noticed any clipping, but I sometimes feel like I've turned the volume knob as far as I should. At around the 2:00 position with the CD as the source I start getting nervous.

10. ratiug

ratiug New Member

I haven't heard the 140's, but I've owned the Response 2.5's for a while, which are less efficient (measured: 83db) but I'll go ahead and share some experiences with those.

I tried quite a few amps with the 2.5's (ss and tube) up to about the $6k (retail) range.

A PrimaLuna Dialogue 2 integrated sounded really good, very natural timbre and lifelike midrange detail in spades, but at 38wpc lost composure at high volume with the 2.5's. (but... they were really good and probably worth a try on the more efficient 140's)

Currently I'm using Rogue Audio M-180 monoblocks, which sound incredible and are a great match for the 2.5's in terms of tonal balance, very balanced/natural top to bottom and, and plenty of bass control/drive. But back to your quest for an integrated, I've also heard the Cronus Magnum with other ProAc floorstanders at a dealer (I believe it was with D18s) which sounded like a good match as well.

11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I thought that I read somewhere that ProAc's Stewart Tyler uses tube amps when developing his speakers. I used to have Response 1S speakers which I have used with my Cary Audio CAD 300 SEI (which I still own). This amp has 4 and 8 ohm taps.

This combination sounded excellent.

Scott

12. Shiver

13. Shiver

OK, thanks for clarifying Bob. Sounds like the outer limits of what you'd consider its comfort zone!

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Eastern Electric M88 would be an interesting choice if you could locate one. I'm using one with 92 db speakers that dip down below 4 ohms. I'm guessing I'm getting a little more than the stated 40 watts with the KT120 tubes. I find a rumble filter on the TT input signal does help free up some power. M88 is a great integrated with a true balanced input, which I plan to use at some point when I improve my digital source.

15. Shiver

Thanks - appreciate you sharing. Unfortunately all three of those options are out of my current price range, at least new, but suitably noted! Interesting the Dialogue 2 lost composure at 38wpc, at least with the 2.5s... all the above is making me think that some of the lower powered options I've seen out there on the current 2nd hand market (for example Audionote UK Oto SE, 10wpc, and Unison Research Simply Four SE, 12 wpc) really woulnd't be realistic...

16. Shiver

Cheers Scott - I've heard that too re ProAc being developed on a tube platform... just looked up the Cary - £5k UK price!... Looks awesome.

17. Shiver

Alrighty - not heard of that tbh, but interesting option. There's one here http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/eastern-electric-m88-integrated-amplifier---pre-owned-3212-p.asp - quite a beast. Again noted - thanks.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Also of note, the transformer cores are sourced from Japan, and Alex uses point-to-point wiring between the power tubes and transformers. Probably a better preamp section than most of the competition. The personality of the amp is lean and a bit dry with less top end extension than most. You can transform that into a more lush sound with NOS tubes, but the bass remains characteristically tight and very controlled rather than mushy and warm. Right at 60lbs US.

19. ratiug

ratiug New Member

I haven't heard the Sphinx, but I did hear a Medusa with the ProAc 2.5's. More power than the Sphinx, and the power amp section only (I didn't get a chance to hear it with a tube preamp). But the Medusa sounded very musical, effortless, very balanced top to bottom with exceptional bass control and imaging. Not surprisingly, it wasn't really an all-tube type of perspective. I suspect you'll hear some clear tradeoffs (pros an cons) between a hybrid like that and the all-tube integrateds in your target budget (and maybe within any reasonable budget)... just a matter of weighing the tradeoffs.

20. Shiver

Great insight - thank you.

21. Shiver

Absolutely. Again, I plan to try out a few options over the next few months and see how thoughts (and budget!...) develop over then. No rush and want to get it right. What I'd love to hear along the way is something beguiling, with minimum compromise, and wholly un-dismissible. Much like the impression my speakers initially made. This and all the above suggestions are a great help to start with. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.