Advice re: custom stereo cabinet

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThinWhiteDuke, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm thinking of building my own custom stereo cabinet, done all my measurements, whipped up an ugly diagram in Visio, selected my favorite wood (Rimu, a kind of pacific pine) ...

It occurs to me I should probably think about extras before it's too late, such as an open back to ensure air flow and cable access, wheels to make it easy to roll the entire thing away from the wall to gain access to the cables etc.

Any advice on stuff I should include in the design before I commit to my local chippie? (carpenter) ?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Leave room for the future.

3. ThinWhiteDuke

I can always sit on the floor :D

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

What a fun project, please take photos when it's finished!

5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

adjustable shelves, casters to move the unit out from the wall.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I'm wondering if wheels are not a good platform for an audio rack to sit on, as opposed to the kind of feet that isolate i.e. spiked.

Additionally, I remember a while back someone posted a chart about resonance and what it was for different materials...don't remember where pine was on that list.

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Casters are probably not as good for stability as fixed feet -- but I'd recommend you put good casters on your rack anyway. Any potential audible difference between feet and casters is, maybe, a third-order problem. After you have your gear all set, the room acoustics as they need to be, and all the music you need in your library, you might consider stuff like that. Until then, it will be a lot more pleasant to hook & rehook things up if you have wheels on the rack. And you can get really excellent sound even with that terrible shortcoming ;) in your system.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I also bot for casters, hidden if possible. I think it would provide more isolation compared to wooden legs.

I do some woodworking as well and I hate to say this but...use as much mdf as you can, it's less resonate.

9. ThinWhiteDuke

I was thinking of using Rimu (can't stand MDF and am not convinced of the resonant problem impacting my tuner or buffered cd player etc. and the TT's sit on top of a seriously solid concrete fireplace mantle piece separate from the floor) and already planning on using coasters.

Have considered placing the four way powerboards on the back panel of the cabinet so that I can have all the power leads plugs and wires in one cabinet and only have the speaker cables and powerboard power cables going to the wall sockets, but I'm concerned about interference especially having DC power packs so close to my kit.

10. JohnVinylJames

JohnVinylJames Member

Adding wheels into the mix is a great idea. It also saves your floor from scratches. Do you have any updated images on the DIY project or is it too soon?

11. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

A fan. A very quiet computer fan to vent all the heat you're going to generate with all the components in a closed shelf system. Plenty of ventilation. You can mount very quiet fans that will not interfere with the system sound and save yourself a lot of headaches later.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.