Advise to buy a new direct drive TT...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tezca, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tezca

tezca Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps the questions I am going to ask had been resolved in past threads: sorry in advance.

• I have £600-700 to buy a new TT + cartridge. I need to upgrade from a very cheap one.
    • I have a very basic, modest Technics stereo integrated amp SU-V500M2
    • I tested Regards and Project TT, and I am convinced they sound superb due to the motor isolation, but: they required continuous adjustments being precise, sensitive equipment; I do not have to much room, and two children around!
    • I decided to go for direct drive because their are strenght and more straightforward, and I have heard good reviews of some direct drive TT: Audio Technical, the new Pioneer, Reloop, etc.
    • I don't want to buy as second hand Technics 1200 and spend more money upgrading a tonearm and other parts
    • I am asking, please, for recommendations to buy an up-to-date Technics clone which allows me to buy a pre-amp (if needed), a silent TT with a good tonearm very well into this century (with all respect to the guys who have been upgrading their Technics. I am sure they will be always ahead of me...)
    • I don't do USB or DJ. I would like to spend my time with my children enjoying the pleasure of music. I hear the Denon dl-100 cartridge and I love it. I has a pair of respectable Tannoy speakers.
    I have been reading this forums by years. I hope someone will have five minutes to deal with this newbie questions. Thanks.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I would still buy a used SL-1200 over any of the new DD tables (excluding things like the uber-expensive VPI). Take your time looking and you'll find one that wasn't abused by a DJ.

APH, aroney, jlc76 and 1 other person like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hunt a Technics SP-25 and a good tonearm and be done with it the rest of your life. All the SL-1200 good points and much more tweakable (you can use any tonearm you like, including 12" tonearms, and any plinth system you like). The best fuss free record spinner you'll ever own.

Ortofun, Shak Cohen and Fiddlefye like this.
  4. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

This is just what I did. I just got a Technics SP25 with a Rega arm built by Dave at The Locus Group (Cryo-Parts.com). It's an absolutely beautiful table that sounds fantastic. I will give a mini-review after I've lived with it a while longer. But first impressions are very, very good. Fantastic service and just a great guy!

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have over 5 years of experience with my own SP-25 setup, and I am just in love with it as the day it came home to live with me full time.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So, what you are asking for doesn't actually exist. The Audio Technicas, the new Pioneer, and Reloop that you mention are all the same thing built by the same Chinese company (Hanpin), and while they're not horrible, they don't really compare to the Technics they're attempting to duplicate.

My suggestion? Buy a used Technics, and then don't spend any more money upgrading the tonearm and other parts. There's a lot of enjoyment to be had out of a stock 1200, I never changed a thing on mine.

APH, Lownote30, MikeJedi and 2 others like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed. You can get a lot of musical enjoyment out of a stock SL-1200 for many years. And they'll outlive most any other turntable made. They handle even broadcast use without being finicky on a vinyl heavy format.

MikeJedi, johnny q and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. tezca

tezca Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to all for their replies. The SL-1200 it is!

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You won't regret it! :D

Lownote30 and MikeJedi like this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Before you buy a used SL1200 consider the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 it actually has a stronger motor and has a better sounding tone arm plus in the US they can be bought for as low as $350. The unit weighs in at a hefty 40 pounds. It's very well made and even has a built in phono (which is not very good) and USB connector.
    I recently bought one to play 45's. I was quite impressed with the build quality for the price.

11. action pact

I don't understand advice like this, which I've read from more than one owner.

When I had an SL-1200, which I bought stock and brand new, I found that its performance improved dramatically from simple mods like re-wiring the arm and interconnects, wrapping the arm in rubber shink tubing, etc., not to mention adding a KAB fluid dampener.

Metralla likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Well, the OP explicitly stated he didn't want to mod the deck, to the extent where he'd rather buy an Audio-Technica then worry about modding a 1200, so I was just pointing out the third path of an unmodified Technics. I don't think many people would argue a stock 1200MK2 is much better then any of its cheaper clones after all.

Robert C likes this.
  13. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Or an SP-15 if you think you might ever like to play 78s. If you get extra lucky you might even turn up a SP-10. I've had a SP-15 for a few years now and it has excellent potential.

McLover likes this.
  14. action pact

Oh, I see!

McLover likes this.
  15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

The fluid damper adds quite a bit to the sound of the 1200 series as does the rewire of the arm.

Technics for the price made one of the best turntables in that series. An amazing piece of machinery. All the years I had all I had to do was play it and occasionally dust it. That's it. Put a good cart on it, I had a Goldring 2500, and your good to go. I wish I never had the thought of upgrading my TT and kept the Technics.

theron d likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Heh, I have my Technics boxed up and stored in my basement for the day I snap and can no longer deal with "the game" so to speak.

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I agree....my SL 1200mk2 is staying totally stock. I enjoy the hell out of it. The same can be said about my 3 other vintage tt's. PL-560, PL-530, and SL-1600. All are well built and still work and sound awesome after 30-37 years.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Interesting option. Do you own an SL1200 to compare the AT-LP1240 to? Also, do you have to remove the pre-installed phono premap for better sound, like with the AT-LP120?

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I agree with action pact!

Lownote30 likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There's a new player on the block IMO. I was at guitar center this weekend and was playing with Pioneer's new DJ table, let me tell you, that table is a thing of beauty. Even more impressive than the SL-1200 (and I own two Technics for tables!" I haven't researched it that much, but the build quality is spectacular and the looks are stunning. I don't know who builds it, but I think it looks the modern match for the SL-1200. Certainly more beautiful. It's a rock. You should research this table. It's called the PLX-1000. I have NEVER seen a table spin up so fast! I''m going to look into it myself.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/07/17/plx-1000-pioneers-699-pro-dj-turntable-details-revealed/

Ah, nevermind. crappy specs. figures

Pioneer: Wow and flutter 0.1% or less WRMS (JIS WTD)
    Technics: wow & flutter 0.01% WRMS)
    Pioneer S/N ratio70 dB (DIN-B)
    Technics –78 dB (IEC 98A Weighted))

some wow & flutter specs

CJ Walker CJ 55 0.06% Vinylengine
    Linn Sondek 0.03% Reviews
    Pro-ject Debut 0.12% Manufacturer
    Pro-ject RPM 9.1 0.08% Manufacturer
    Linn LP12 0.06% 0.03% (lingo) Reviews
    Rega P3 0.09% 0.04% Reviews
    MMF5.1 0.15% Manufacturer
    MMF9.1 0.15% Manufacturer
    Pioneer PL 112D 0.07% Vinylengine
    Systemdek 0.09% Vinylengine
    Thorens TD160 0.04% Manufacturer
    Dual CS505 0.05% Vinylengine
    Technics SL-10 0.03% Manufacturer
    Pioneer PL-518 (DD) 0.03% (WRMS) 1976-1977
    Pioneer PL-630 (DD) 0.025% (WRMS) 1978-1980
    Sony PS-X6/X7 (DD) 0.025% (WRMS) 1977-1979
    Yamaha YP701 (BD) 0.08% 1974
    VPI Scout .02% (Manufacturer) .09% (Test lab)
    AR XA 0.03%

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Don't own a 1200 like I said just bought this to play some singles because i don't like playing them on my TT's with expensive cartridges. The phono amp is bypassed via a switch although I suspect that if you wired it for direct output it would be better.

PBo likes this.
  22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, I didn't want to just seem like a contrarian, but I'm 99.9% sure that deck is just another Super OEM like the AT240, etc. Which isn't necessarily a problem, as putting aside the endless debates on if the 1200MK2 is a "DJ turntable", DJs certainly need somebody to build them turntables, and even for strictly music listening purposes one can do worse for the money IMO.

Oh wait, scratch that last part, I didn't realize it was $700. Yikes!

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Shoot for the SL-1210M5G model. They are noticeably better than the Mk. IIs, imo.

24. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Agreed. And I dearly miss mine.

motorcitydave likes this.
  25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool, glad you agree. I bet you do. What cartridge were you running?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.