Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD survey

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by curbach, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet Thread Starter

Some recent discussion of this rare item got me thinking. There seems to be some debate over how rare it actually is and whether or not it was ever officially released. Poll results, rather than anecdotal evidence, might help clarify matters (or not :)).

Select any option(s) that apply to your personal experience.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not seeing a poll yet.

I think it's pretty conclusive, only one copy ever surfaced on the collector/open market. The rest made were probably destroyed.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet Thread Starter

Tell that to carrolls in the Rocks cd thread :)

Poll should appear momentarily. I decided to make it public so a bunch of anonymous jokers couldn't claim to have the disc :) (edit: well, I meant to make it public, but it looks like I botched it. )

For those who have seen it somewhere somehow, please specify if it was marked as a promo if you know. I didn't want to overload the poll with options, so I left that out after the two "I own it" options.

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I assume you know it but, it is not even listed at SACD.net...

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good idea for a poll. The only thing that will settle the issue related to Carrolls' claims will when/if he ever provides a photo of his friend's alleged copy, but at least this thread can indicate if anyone's ever SEEN a copy.

I suspect most of us are aware of the one that was discussed on the board and that's it, even though - according to Carrolls - there are TONS of them out there! :LAUGH:

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

One person out of three voted that they own a copy, so obviously there are thousands of these floating around.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This choice may skew your results:

I have seen a used copy for sale on-line

The reason, a forum member actually owned this disc, and sold it or had it for sale on-line.

I didn't vote for that selection, because I truly believe you may get a lot of responses for that choice and it may leave people believing that more copies exist than actually do.

I voted for the last choice.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I actually saw a new sealed one at a Best Buy in San Antonio in the early days of SACD. Should have grabbed it. No idea if it sold. It may be sitting at some guys house who has no idea of its scarcity.

9. therockman

This is true, but somebody in this poll already voted that they actually own it. :help:

10. therockman

Wow!! :righton:

:cheers:

11. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

I never saw it, but then I'm more into vinyl anyway :shh: :D

12. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I voted that I had seen it online for sale but that was the forum member who posted photos and gave a link to his eBay listing.

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Years ago I saw a new sealed copy at Media Play in the Pittsburgh area. I almost bought it, but then I ended up purchasing something else instead.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Wow - it seems more people than I thought saw sealed copies but passed on buying (as I didn't think this thing actually existed in sealed "commercial" form).

I would have given my left "you know what" to have come across a sealed copy; I would have purchased it in a heartbeat.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Maybe a case of mis-remembering, or confusing with "Toys In the Attic"?

17. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I've seen this picture online. Any others?

Attached Files:

leahypc likes this.
  18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Didn't the original guy who found the Drillout have to take it out of the cellophane to prove it was the real deal? Well that what he said, and I trust him on his word.:D

19. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Thanks Pibroch, I had my post on hold until since before you posted and I didn't see yours. Thanks again.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

His copy was sealed with a promo drill-out.

No copies have been verified as for sale in a retail environment. A few people "saw" one, but I find it hard to believe that if there were really out there at retail, no single person picked it up. And we have a lot of SACD-hounds around here :agree:

21. therockman

This.

22. I'm almost positive it never made it out for retail sale, at least on the East coast. I was a fan of the format from the beginning and was very diligent in keeping abreast of the small SACD/DVD-A section that Best Buy had in each store. Best Buy carried virtually every mainstream Pop/Rock act in that section which Sony had released on SACD, including the other known Aerosmith SACDs.

Aerosmith was easy to remember as they had their own little divider, right in the beginning of the section in the top left corner of the shelf. I never saw a Rocks SACD in my weekly visits to multiple stores. This was not a section that had a lot of turnover in stock, items would not sell for years.

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It was actually on sale in Japan 10 years ago as this cached page seemingly shows. If I owned a record shop 10 years ago, I would have considered buying some of my stock online, especially if it was OOP in my own country. I'm not sure what the exchange rate was for 2534 yen in those days, but anyway.
    View attachment 201763

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I voted that I saw one because I remember seeing it. I guess I migh be mis-remembering, but I'm not that old. Best Buy had a small SACD section and there wasn't much turnover - items would be there a long time. I guess not too many people in the area were into SACD/DVD-A. I used to semi-regularly go to the Best Buy and a Circuit City to look at their SACD's. I don't know why I didn't buy Rocks. I might have thought I would wait for a MCH release. I'm pretty sure I only saw it the one time. It may have been pulled from the shelf and destroyed or returned to Sony if some order to remove stock came down.

It certainly wasn't considered a rare or highly in demand item at the time. I wasn't here, so I was getting all my SACD/DVD-A online discussion from The Audio Asylum.

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It was out there. You are correct. The whole idea of Sony distributing it, recalling everything, but making one cut-out, distributing it to a single store and destroying the rest is beyond insane on so many levels starting with logistically. What a ridiculous idea.

leahypc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.