Affordable recording equipment (but still nice)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bluebair, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone, my brother is going to start recording his music. And me being an audiophile I want to know what is the best equipment he can get that is still very affordable. Microphones, audiovox, pop filter, etc.
    If it matters he is making neo-psychedelic inspired music (Mac demarco, drug dealer, tame impala, etc.)

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Good and cheap are mutually exclusive. You get what you pay for. Good microphones are and never were cheap, neither is good outboard gear, good recording gear.

showtaper likes this.
  3. Bluebair

Of course I understand this. What I meant is what is the best he could get with a budget on the smaller side. Because like everything else there are good things and bad things within the same price range.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You need to specify the exact budget dollar amount. "Very affordable" to people here can mean $10 or $10,000.

displayname, The FRiNgE and Bluebair like this.
  5. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

I would start out with something like this:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools

Pro tools will give them the basic digital audio workstation (DAW) for recording on to the computer and the interface for connecting the instruments and mics to the computer.

As for mics, you can find a good bundle package with pop filters and xlr cables. Such as:

The RØDE NT1-A 1 inch cardioid condenser microphone.

You can find all in Amazon.

The FRiNgE and Bluebair like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Rode mics are very fine for the money, good performers and well priced.

7. Bluebair

Thank you, I will pass the information on to him.

8. Bluebair

He wanted to get the BEHRINGER UMC202HD, do you know if that one would be a smart choice for him?

9. Gary7704

Its a basic audio interface. It has phantom power for the mics that need that. I dont think that comes bundled with any recording software but its not a bad unit.

Bluebair likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Focusrite Scarlette Audio Interface is better suited for his needs, and comes with some nice bundled software. And is a nice bargain. I'd consider a MacBook Pro or iMac if he can stretch to that for his recording, those are good computer options. That would be money well spent over time.

c-eling, Gary7704 and Bluebair like this.
  11. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

From specs, it doesn't look bad.
    What you need is direct monitor (for overdubbs or punch-ins), and this device got it.

Good and cheap can go hand in hand quite nicely.

If he uses headphones during recording (click track/metronome, or overdubbing), he needs closed headphones with sound insulation. Good ones are Byerdynamic DT 770 pro (either 250Ohm for lighter voice coils and better high end resolution, or 32Ohms for louder sound on less-powerfull headphone amps) or AKG K271. (around €130)

He needs a solid microphone stand. There's various good brands. Solid stands are made of all metal, have their weight. Make sure, the foot is made of metal. (starting €50)
    He maybe needs a popp killer. I guess, any would do. (€15)

Good but cheap microphones are chinese made large diaphragm condenser mics. From brands such as "Studio Projects" or "MXL". Or, Thomann house brands. Usually, you want to have a unidirectional type (cardoid pickup pattern). (starting around €100)

Recording softwares (DAW) are many, and most are good. It depends on taste and workflow, what you prefer. A usefull one is Steinberg Cubase. Try to finde an OEM version, where a number of the functions and gimmicks of the full version are removed. But, such an OEM verison still would be perfectly suitable for recording, overdubbing, mixing and editing. OEM versions are either bundled with gear (interfaces), or available as DVD inside musician's magazines (such as, www.keys.de), for merely around €20.

If you use Windows, make sure the software and the interface support the ASIO driver model.

How many tracks does he want to record simultaneously?
    (If you record a real drumset, you would like to record from 4 tracks up to 8 tracks at the same time, simultaneously.)
    For more than merely two tracks at the same time, you will need other interfaces with more inputs than the said Berhinger of Scarlett.

Best regards

Bluebair likes this.
  12. thewonders

thewonders Someone that I used to know

You never mentioned if he is using Windows or a Mac. There are good options for both but more choices with Windows. Reaper is a decent (and inexpensive) DAW that is both Windows and Mac. Some other DAWs (that are more full-featured) are Logic (Mac only), Cubase and Pro Tools (Mac and Windows), and Samplitude and Sonar (Windows only).

Behringer makes inexpensive gear, some of it OK and some of it not. There are many brands that are much better quality, like Focusrite, Presonus or M-Audio. There are a lot of cheap Chinese mics out there - the better mics are the name brands like AKG, Shure, and Rode.

Whatever the musical style, good equipment will help him get good recordings.

Bluebair likes this.
  13. Tim Müller

Hello,

you are right. There is always better gear out there, with more consistent specs and quality.
    However, the question is, can these better gear be used to it's potential in a home recording environment?
    I pretty much doubt it.

Unless you have a semi-pro recording room, with sound proof and acoustical treatments to provide equal reverb and decay for all frequencies, no chatter echo, well defined diffuse reflection, and non-right angled wall and ceilings.

In normal "bedroom" recording situations, the frequency response of the room will very likely boost some frequencies, attentuate some others. Will have some unwanted chatter echo, or so.
    No sound proof, so ambient sound leaks into the room.

That's why I think, these chinese microphones are just as good as the better ones within a home studio bedroom recording room.
    Or, let's put it the other way: Sound improvement does not start with gear, but with acoustics and acoustic room treatment.

I feel, even these OEM versions of audio recording software, are quite full featured for purpose of recording, punch-in, overdubbing, midi programming, mxing and editing.
    There's some limitations built in, for the total number of audio tracks, or the number of audio tracks that can be recorded simultaneously. If this posses a problem, you can find "artist versions" of the software (one level above the OEM versions), or so, which are still affordable.
    And indead, reaper is a quite affordable DAW software.

While most DAW software emulates a conventional tape based studio, there's a completely different approach to workflow in Ableton live, which is based on loops and samples that can be arranged and played live or for recordings.
    Some of my friends love the workflow of Ableton, while I prefer the conventional "tape recording emulation" workflow. It's a matter of taste.

Best regards

Bluebair likes this.
  14. Gary7704

I would second using a MacBook Pro.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  15. Bluebair

He has a Windows laptop, but he may be using a Mac for editing purposes. I will ask.

He does have access to a few studios that are semi professional, although he may not be planning to completely use them.

Also if anyone wants to check out the very rough demo he already recorded, look up won't change, in regard to the stars (josh bair). I'm pretty sure it was brickwalled and stuff, but it'll give you an idea of what he has already done, and where he can improve.

Thank you

16. Bluebair

So it looks like he just wants to record a rough ep in his room/other unprofessional places, he uses Windows, hut may be borrowing a Mac.

He wants to know if he should get dynamic or condenser mics, or both. He has a drum set and an electronic one, and might want to hang a Mic above the set to record.

Let me know you opinions on this, thank you

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Every studio needs at least one Shure SM57. It's the world's most ubiquitous and versatile mic.

[​IMG]

brianplowe and Bluebair like this.
  18. Tim Müller

Just tone microphone above the kit? I would use a condenser. Unless he plays really loud, over-the-top loud.
    I would use at least one additional mic for the kick.

Best regards

Bluebair likes this.
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Recording a drum set and getting it to sound good is not all that easy in terms of balance between drums, phase of cymbals, and of course overall ambiance in a room that's not acoustically prepared to be a live drum room, especially with a single cheap mic. I say, forget about even trying. For a home demo one will get way, way better results using the electronic kit as a Midi controller to control a nice sampled drum kit... Something like EZ drummer, for $150 ( and of course you'll need to get yourself a DAW that supports VST midi instruments or something like that and an interface with not just audio but also midi), will get you access to great recordings of classic drum kit recorded in famous studios that can be triggered from an electronic controller and give you much better mix control (not to mention easy of editing). Sonically the results will be orders of magnitude better than whatever results an amateur with no recording experience is going to get hanging a single cheap mic over a drum set in a bed room or basement.

Bluebair likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The other thing I'd suggest, actually, especially if the OP's brother is looking to record not just solo but a group live, is just to buy studio time and record the basic tracks at a pro studio. There are actually a lot off inexpensive small studios around with much better sounding rooms, mic closets and equipment than the OP's brother is going to but together, and with an experienced engineer to run the recording -- vs. an inexperienced one not only running the recording but trying to deliver best performances at the same time. It may actually wind up being cheaper even than buying a lot of new recording gear, or at least not much if at all more expensive, with the end results likely being much better sounding and taking less time.

Bluebair, displayname and Tim S like this.
  21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I like this. Record real drums and basic rhythm tracks (bass and 1 guitar) at a decent place. Then get a decent condenser vocal mic ( I like StudioProjects brand for the price) for all the vocals. You can just set this mic in a dead area with blankets and stuff and get a very acceptable sound. Grab an SM-57 if you have additional guitars or live instruments and record them at home in this same dead area.

The midi drums will sound better than a real kit if you go the home drums route, but I don't know if you want to deal with the learning curve for getting this happening correctly on computer software.

Bluebair likes this.
  22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

He could invest in a solid drum microphone kit and use that for everything. Here's a solid example:

If he's getting serious though, I think the idea of renting studio time will be the best bang for his buck.

Bluebair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.