After having owned the Sennheiser HD600's and the HD650, should I get the HD58x?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I owned the HD600's and HD650's for quite some time in the past , I have some experience with these two headphones and spent quite a bit of time with them. I sold them years ago but I remember liking the HD600's much better. I did find the HD650's a bit boring , the HD600's had just a little bit more treble refinement which I liked but were just a tad bit more bass shy. Although my ears are sensitive to treble I like a neutral headphone that doesn't draw attention to itself. I'm looking into the HD58x and from what I am reading it looks like this headphone might be a mix between the HD600's and the HD650's , anyone have any experience with the HD58x? How would it compare to the HD600? It looks to be a steal for $170 on the massdrop website!

2. noway

noway Forum Resident

Haven't heard the Massdrop HD58X but nevertheless I would stick with the HD600s. Try L&M.

3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just a tip. Drop has a refurb section where these are even cheaper.

4. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Agree with the above - the HD600 remain the best in the lineup in my view.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The advantage for the HD58x Jubilee is that they are easier to drive. They're 150 ohms instead of the 300 ohms for the HD600 and HD650.

The HD600 and HD650 need a good amp. If they aren't amped will and suitably they will sound boring. Good amps cost more than the headphones.

The HD58x Jubilee isn't so fussy about amps. It will work well with amps that are not suitable for the HD600 or HD650. You can even plug the HD58x into a laptop and get enough reasonably good sound to use for YouTube listening.

The main issue with the HD58x Jubilee is that it is not as resolving as the HD600 or HD650. Less resolving meaning that you can't hear as far into the recording and music. The HD58x puts more veils between you and the music.

But if you're going to use a $100 headphone amp, or similar, the HD58x will sound more energetic and potentially more resolving than the HD650 from that amp. But when you use a good headphone amp that situation reverses and the HD650 will be more resolving than the HD58x from that good amp.

So it's a matter of choosing the headphone that is suitable for the level and quality of amplification and source.

PiperAtTheGates, gakerty and Spy Car like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used to have the HD650's and drove them with a hundred dollar Schiit Magni 3+. Sounded great.

TheIncredibleHoke and Nathan Z like this.
  7. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I’ve enjoyed both, but the 600 are much better.

shug4476 likes this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Sound quality is relative. The Magni and HD650 will sound good, but the headphone is capable of better.

If I were optimizing a little headphone system for myself based around a Magni series amp I'd choose the HD58x over the HD650 for that system. But if optimizing for a better amp like the Valhalla or Lyr 3 or better then I'd choose the HD650.

PiperAtTheGates likes this.
  9. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Just prior to lockdown I went to the Shiiter (Schiit's listening room in Valencia) with the intention of previewing the Magni 3+ and the Asgard 3. I went in hoping to prefer the Magni 3+, as to that point I was mostly a "speaker guy" and a headphone amp was a backup.

I tried a variety of headphones, but spent particular time with newly acquired HD650/(Drop)6xx.

I felt the Magni 3+ was similar sonically with the lower impedance cans that I compared, but with the HD6xxs the power seemed slightly lacking. Still good, but I went home with an Asgard 3.

What I didn't know then was that my home-world would be turned upside down by the pandemic with everyone working/studying from home and that good headphones would turn out to be a pandemic-survival godsend.

As @Ham Sandwich said above, I would not hesitate to pair HD58x with a Magni3+ (phenomenal value in that combo) but the 650s sound better paired with the more powerful Asgard 3 IMO.

Bill

10. ssmith3046

Couldn't agree more. I have an Asgard 3 but my go to headphone now is the Focal Clear Pros. Easy to drive but sound better amped.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. ssmith3046

Without a doubt. just depends on what you want to spend. I've never spent over $500 on a headphone amp. I'm retired so I like to pursue other interests too and on a fixed income one has to watch the money. Beats working though :)

12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I believe HD58x run comfortable without a dedicated headphone amp.
    HD600/650 not

13. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I own the 580's and they are just GREAT!

14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I have driven HD600 with Chord Mojo, Graham Slee Solo, and headphone output on my Arcam AV9, all with good results.

The best results (by far) were with the Graham Slee, though, which admittedly isn't cheap (although I paid less for it than I did the headphones).

15. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I've had the 600 & 650's, and now have the 58x. My experience with the 600/650 is the same as yours, I liked the 600's better and thought they had better balance. I used them with Cardas cable and a really good amp. I no longer have a high end headphone rig and recently bought the 58x, which are very good. Still, my favorite, if you can drive them correctly, would be the HD600 with a good aftermarket cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.