After M*A*S*H

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I liked the Wayne Rogers venture, House Calls (which is based on the Walter Matthau film) better than the Trapper John series with Pernell Roberts. It ran for a few seasons, started off well with Lynn Redgrave, who left the series to be filled in by Sharon Gless, before she did Cagney and Lacey.

2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I remember that and liked it too. (Not sure if it would be as good as I remember now, but I'd like the chance to find out.)

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was surprised to see that this ran for two seasons. I was a HUGE M*A*S*H fan at the time and other than knowing that I must have sat down to watch After M*A*S*H, I remember absolutely nothing about it that than it was kind of sad.

It should have been included as a bonus feature on the complete series set.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  4. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember watching the first episode, but have virtually no memory of it or watching any other episodes. I almost certainly watched it because the final episode of MASH was such a huge event. The only thing that I really remember is Rosalind Chao saying she tried to find Korean war brides and virtually none would talk about their experiences moving to a new country.
    It probably is a "what were they thinking?" series but I'm sure in 1972 people were saying the same about making Robert Altman's film into a tv series.

5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

While not a masterpiece, I recall finding AfterMASH much more enjoyable than the last few seasons of M*A*S*H. With original series creator Larry Gelbart back at the helm, we were no longer subjected to the pun-fest of the final years...and episodes guest starring Radar and Colonel Flagg were actually quite stellar.

EDIT: I just realized I made the same points earlier in the thread, 8 years ago!

chilinvilin likes this.
  6. dirwuf

Here is the episode with Gary Burghoff guest starring...

razerx and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  7. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I suppose Americas' fascination with Cpl. Klinger and Col. Potter was actually finite.
    Getting clobbered by the A-Team is just sad. We need a Hello Larry thread right now.

8. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

As sad as AfterMASH was, I 'd still buy a complete series DVD set if they put on out.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

This thread is back after it's hiatus, unlike After M*A*S*H.

10. DreadPikathulhu

I remember more about Hello Larry than I do about After MASH.

Who is going to start the Ropers thread? Is there an existing Three's Company thread we can tag that one onto?

Uther, Vidiot and bradman like this.
  11. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I've always liked Wendy Schaal!

12. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Don't forget the Dukes of Hazzard spinoff; Enos.

13. DreadPikathulhu

I did until you reminded me. Now it's all coming flooding back.

14. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

They should start a cable network for all these short-lived spinoffs from far more successful series.

KevinP likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

I'd probably watch it! I don't like committing myself to a long-running show.

• Joanie Loves Chachi (Happy Days)
    • The Lone Gunmen (The X-Files)
    • Tabitha (Bewitched)
    • Flo (Alice)
    • Crusade (Babylon 5)

wayne66 likes this.
  16. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The late 70's was ripe for failed sitcom spin-offs. How can you forget these?:

- Fish
    - Grady
    - The Sanford Arms
    - Blansky's Beauties

17. DreadPikathulhu

I forgot all about Sanford Arms!

It lasted four episodes. Fred Sanford returned again in 1980-81 for another spin-off Sanford, which I totally missed.

18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Actually, "Fish" was good enough to make it through 2 seasons. I used to watch it occasionally, it was no worse that most other sitcoms at that time.
    The others on the list? Uh...

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I barely even remember the opening.
    Being a M*A*S*H fan I know I saw a few episodes,
    but I thought it lasted less than 1 season.

Darryl

20. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Blansky's Beauties is interesting in that it was a mid-season replacement in 1977 featuring two stars whose Fall 1976 shows were cancelled after a few airings, Nancy Walker (The Nancy Walker Show) and Pat Morita (Mr. T and Tina).

And the irony is that Pat Morita was once again playing Arnold, the former drive-in owner on Happy Days, which he'd left to star in...Mr. T and Tina.

CusBlues likes this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same thing with me: Watched it at the time, don't remember anything about the shows themselves..

CusBlues likes this.
  22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been mentioned but one of the After MASH episodes won an Emmy!

CusBlues likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

As mentioned, I really don't remember AfterMASH (other than watching it at the time)... I'd buy a DVD set of series of it if they ever release one (just as I bought all 11 seasons of MASH)...

I have vague recollections of Sanford: From what I remember, it was a lot like the original Sanford and Son, except it didn't have Lamont... Instead, IIRC, he was replaced buy a guy named Cal...
    Sanford also should have a DVD release... It'd make a good companion to the Sanford and Son DVDs...

CusBlues likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Robert Altman's MASH was the real MASH.

CusBlues likes this.
  25. dirwuf

No, Richard Hooker's (H. Richard Hornberger) MASH is the real MASH...

CusBlues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.