Agree? I have all the music I want for the rest of my life. No need to hear anything new.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Every once in a while I do come accross something new (as of current day artist) that I absolutely love. Most recent example is Margo Price album "Midwest Farmer's Daughter". I already love that as much as my favorite classic country albums (probably I like it exactly because it sounds like it could have been made 30-40 years ago). But finds like this are very rare for me as far as current music goes since I also don't care for hip-hop, rap, electronic, and especially commercial pop. When you take all that out there is not much left to consider.

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Thanks for the earworm now rrrrrr. So throwing it back at you.

JeffMo, Purple Jim and Mr. Grieves like this.
  3. Django

Django Forum Resident

Such as?
    Wouldn't be much of hip hop fan myself.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I agree - you've pulled out a large chunk if hip-hop and electronica aren't on the list of possibilities.

Hip hop is the new rock. I could understand the self-imposted limitations if that general genre (since there are a lot of sub genres) is dismissed outright.

Again, not saying that's a bad thing. Only that I can understand how that limits the options. Imagine if it was 1971 and someone wanted to hear new music and didn't like rock.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

I think it's great people like what they like. But I really wonder if the 60s generation haven't made a fetish of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones--just because it's the music of their youth.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't hear those 1960s rock icons as great. Take the Beatles. Their lyrics seem to me often quite weak. They have a gift for melody. The production from George Martin is often superb, truly impressive.

So to me it adds up to good, likeable pop music of its time. It's had a strong afterlife. I know now it's especially popular with small children. But "great"? I can't hear it.

I swear I'm not trying to get anybody's goat here. But it's far easier for me to be impressed with Kendrick Lamar, for instance, than the Beatles. Far more "serious," much more verbal intricacy, etc.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    lonelysea likes this.
  6. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I think of hip-hop more as the new motown. I was not a huge fan of motown either, although unlike hip-hop there are some motown artist/albums I do like a lot.

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I think the Beatles are OK. I understand all that they are. I am and always have been way in the minority. First bands I like as a young teen were CCR, The Doors, Steely Dan and then Traffic.

I think that's about the progression. Then Zep, Floyd, Yes, Genesis (was my favorite maybe 77-79) and then King Crimson.

For me the Beatles were just not that exciting. Stones slightly more but not by much. I like some of the classics well enough but give me "Taking Tiger Mountain(by strategy)" or even 801 over anything by either of them.

So way before I got interested in improvised music, I was much more interested in Brian Eno's song albums or more recently much more interested in Yo La Tengo than the Beatles.

Ted Dinard likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's easy to play the snob card. A true musical elitist might argue that classical music was like Dali or Picasso, whereas crude rock/pop was more like Frazetta.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think hip-hop is bigger today than Motown was then. It's literally a global phenomena now.

Thom, Mr. Grieves and ralphb like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

A hip hop artist like Kendrick Lamar has a lot in common with someone like Marvin Gaye circa What's Going On or Sly Stone's There's A Riot Goin' On, same dense production, lyrical beauty, passion and anger. It's just in today's language, so there's a certain amount of adjustment to how you hear the music, but it's every bit as brilliant as those artists.

Thom, PHILLYQ, Freedom Rider and 2 others like this.
  11. Ted Dinard

I think our tastes, and what we find "obvious," would be much easier to understand if we gave short histories of our musical development like you did.

When I was a preteen, I underwent a phase of liking the Beatles, Stones, Bob Dylan--then I began to see their shortcomings, or at least what made them unsatisfying to me.

As a teenager, I moved on to punk, "college radio," new wave, indie, whatever you call it. The best of that I still love, more than just about any 1960s "classic" band (except maybe the Kinks). I also went to oddball pop of all eras. Also rockabilly, antediluvian country music, jazz especially of the 1950s and 60s, and classical.

When the Beatles come on the radio, I can quite enjoy them (I usually change the station if it's the Stones, Dylan, or the Who though). But I never listen to the Beatles by choice except with my children.

12. Django

Django Forum Resident

I do like a few of the older hip hop tracks, the message, some pe, some de la soul. But even when I was younger I felt a bit silly listening to rappers.
    I just can't really relate and don't really care with what they're going on about.

13. ralphb

This may sound silly, but if you can, give a listen to the Hamilton Cast Recording, a history lesson delivered as a hip hop musical, there's just enough standard pop moves and Broadway musical flash to make it go down easy. You don't need to have seen the show ,it's very accessible and quite a transporting listen.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What about classy rock/pop?

15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

One can compare him with anyone they like. Attaching a hierarchy to works of art is the height of snobbery.

PHILLYQ and royzak2000 like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Who can say? I imagine if you played "Eleanor Rigby" for a hardcore classical aficionado, they'd turn their nose up, middlebrow fare at best. I'm not endorsing this view, just making the point that someone else can always out-snob you.

Lost In The Flood and ralphb like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Avida Dollars

18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I wouldn't say To Pimp A Butterfly is on the same level as Sgt.Pepper. Nowhere near. I'd say it's more like this generations Purple Rain than Sgt.Pepper. I looked up how high it was rated on BestEverAlbums.com....
    Overall Chart » It came in at 155, which is still very good going, but not up there with Sgt.Pepper, or Purple Rain, come to that. But it was received.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah, just go and rewrite all the history books. tell 'em how they got it all wrong. :biglaugh:
    Chuck Norris better than Orson Welles for you?

20. ralphb

It's only been out a little over a year, give it time.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In my experience, classical fans really like Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, The Long And Winding Road,... Never met a classical fan?

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't think Kanye West will ever be as great as the The Beatles. Beatles songs were everywhere in the 60s. Kanye West songs aren't everywhere now. I don't think there is a sound of today in that sense.

I'm listening to To Pimp A Butterfly right now (second attempt), and I tbh, I find his lyrics off putting. Hearing the N word repeatedly doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, aside from other lyrics that I'm hearing that wouldn't go down well on this forum.

I'm not one of those members here thatsomeone stuck in the past btw. Far from it.

23. Ted Dinard

They were probably just being polite. The faux classical side of the Beatles is not likely to impress anybody versed in the subtleties of Mozart or Beethoven. The Beatles have to rely on other virtues.

24. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Perhaps the genius website can help you better appreciate the lyrics & understand his intentions a little more. I often times completely change my stance on some songs based on other interpretations that have provoked some thought.

25. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Just for the fun of it (because I'm feeling so open minded today :edthumbs:) I just went and watched few Kendrick Lamar youtub videos (I never heard of him so I simply picked some that had huge numbers of views).
    Sadly this experiment did nothing other then remind me again that I simply don't get and can't stand hip-hop. :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.