Ahhhh!!! Where Are Blank CD-Rs Manufactured?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Cruz, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ahhhh!!!

I know there are a gazillion threads on this subject, but how can I tell if a BLANK CD-R is made in Japan? AND/OR what's a good BRAND and TYPE can I pick up at a JOE-DRUGSTORE or JOE-TARGET store? Maybe a NASHVILLE CAT can point me in right direction here in NASHVEGAS?

I've seen the names Taiyo Yuden and Matsui (sp?) thrown around a lot. Do they make consumer prdcts?

2. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

I have been using the Maxell Music CD-R's for six months now. They are the Taiyo Yuden and are made in Japen. I get them from Wal-Mart for $13 for 30 discs. There are programs out there that can read a disc and tell you what it is. Nero Burning Rom has the ability to read disc info and that is what I use to burn cd-r's with.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Ahhhhhhh! is not a good thread heading for the search engine.
    Ahhhh!!! Where Are Blank CD-Rs Manufactured? is a good heading.

Changed.

mud-

4. Brian Cruz

That's a good one. Though, it's not as attention-grabbing, is it? I will try to behave myself on my next thread.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

You're right, it's not as exciting but people at least will know what to expect when they open your thread!

mud-:D

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Most reputable companies will tell you where the product was made. Those Wal-Mart or Comp USA specials usually won't. That should be your first warning!

8. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Which ones do you like then Grant, could you give us the brand names you would stick with and their point of origin.

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Re: Ahhhh!!!

Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui are sold by American-Digital.com. I have good luck with products I've ordered from them.

10. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

So far, for "non-music" labeled store-bought blanks, I've found only Maxell Pro's and Fujifilm are made by Taiyo Yuden. Somewhere on the packaging you'll see "Made in Japan".

If it says "Made in Taiwan" anywhere, they ain't TY's.

Joel

11. Brian Cruz

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought Maxell Pros. They said "Made in Japan" on the package and on the actual CD, but say "Made in Taiwan" on the CD jackets. What does that mean?
    :confused:

12. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

CDRidentifier can give you incorrect info about the stamper, that's why they stopped updating the program. The search engine IS your friend, folks!

13. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The Maxell CD-R Pro's that I have say "Made In Japan" on the box and disc. I don't see Taiwan mentioned anywhere. The center ring is that smokey plastic which I guess is common to Taiyo Yuden.

I love these things. I use the blue-label discs. I have also seen a red version, which I presume is for stand-alone burners. :confused:

14. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Ascot, you are correct. Taiyo Yudens are always frosted in the hub like that.

15. Beatle Terr

Simply that the CD jackets are jobbed out and Made cheaper in Taiwan for Maxell.
    :)

16. Grant

I use anything made by Taiyo Yuden, like Fuji Music CD-R or Maxell Pro. For other cases i'll use Imation.. I also have a small stash of Kodak gold/silver and Mitsui silver blanks. All but the Imation, Mitsui and Kodak were made in Japan.

17. Grant

I use the utility that came with Nero.

18. Brian Cruz

Arighty! I will now burn with peace of mind.:)

19. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

It uses the very same method, Grant.

20. Grant

Right. It reads the same info, but at least the version I have is a bit more up-to-date.

21. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Nice site.

I wish there was a similar site for US sold blanks. Packaging and labeling is different (for example, with Maxell, I didn't see "Maxell Pro" on that site, but there are a few "XL's" which we don't get), and we have some completely different generic names, like Compaq, Office Depot, Radio Shack... which I'm sure are all CMC Magnetics :rolleyes:.

Joel

22. CMC Magnetics ?

Ewwwww.

Phil

23. Beatle Terr

My good friend Tom from California are always sending each other discs back and forth and he has always sent me the Imation discs, Those discs seem to be very good as well as I've heard they aren't to expensive. However like yourself I mainly always by the Maxell Pro's for making CD-R's. Are the Kodaks gold/silver discs gold colored on the writable side? Plus do you like them as well as the Maxell and Fuji's.

24. Grant

Why? I have never had one problem with any CMC/Imation blank over the last five years. I know they have a bad reputation, but I don't know why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.