Air on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought Air's "Moon Safari" on vinyl recently. I thought the sound quality was atrocious. A terrible digital transfer of an album I love.

In a store now thinking of picking up some of their other releases. What's the sound quality on "10 000 Hz Legend", "Premiers Symptomes", "Pocket Symphony", etc?

2. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Thats why you need a good cd player! Not everything is better in vinyl.

SammyJoe and gingerly like this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I just dropped the needle on my original pressing of Pocket Symphony, I'd say it sounds good but not great. Excellent pressing, just not an especially dynamic album. I have the recent reissue of 10Khz as well, I seem to remember it sounding a touch better.

4. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

There's a thread in Music on the recent reissues. Most seem to like them.

5. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

10,000Hz Legend is a great sounding CD... it was a demo CD for someone at Stereophile - I forget who. Standard issue CD is fab.

- edit

It's Jonathan Scull. He says:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/47-laboratory-4704-pitracer-cd-transport-page-3

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

You didn't mention "Virgin Suicides", but that's my favorite Air release and the only one of the reissues I've purchased so far. It is significantly better than the CD which I've been listening to for the past 10 years or so. Can't speak to the other titles but I suspect if they were all done with as much care you will be happy.

7. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not at home so I can't check, but are these rerelease's all done by the same people who did "Moon Safari"?

Perhaps Moon Safari wasn't well mastered to begin with, but I always enjoyed the CD. The vinyl sounded like warmed over ****e.

8. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I don't know for sure, but "Moon Safari" is the only title that's been in print consistently, unlike all others. Discogs leads me to believe these "Moon Safari" is a new mastering too. New pressings are done at Pallas, and my copy was flat, silent, and on-center.

9. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

I thought this thread was going to be about cleaning vinyl with compressed air.

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

It will be soon Arden, hang in there mate.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  11. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Was the Moon Safari one of the new reissues or an existing reissue? I bought a new one on heavy vinyl last year but I can't help but think it's an unofficial pressing. The sound is average and the sleeve, whilst it is "tidy" is a bit blurred, as if it was a copy blown up to LP size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.