1. Please help us keep us afloat without banner ads. DONATE NOW! Please visit our 2015 Forum Fundraiser thread for details, or donate directly here. Thank you very much for your support!

AIRPLAY: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio airing on PBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MMM, Feb 27, 2011.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My friends Carolyn Travis' and her husband Chris Fox Gilson's movie AIRPLAY: THE RISE AND FALL OF ROCK RADIO is beginning to be broadcast on various PBS TV stations. In my local area, it is airing this week on NJN - March 3rd at 11:30pm. This is a condensed version for TV of the complete movie, to leave content unaired on the DVD version for sale. It is a great documentary on the various phases/variations of AM/FM pop/rock radio. The main site for the movie - to be updated soon - is here :

http://www.theairplaychannel.com/demo/

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I do, however, hope that there is more than just lip service paid to the conceit that radio is all about "rock". That's a flavor of an ever-widening palette of music that has blessed radio with pop, dance, country, beautiful music, and other popular styles, and I would hate if this were all glossed-over just because some hipsters can't get their free air-guitar music anymore, when there are so many places now that one can purchase it.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks Martin, I'll watch this! As a radio announcer, it will be good to see where I went wrong, with my recent decision to return to the world of radio, after being away for nearly 10 years. Hopefully there will be a "it's in our blood and we just can't help ourselves" segment in the documentary?

Chris C

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

5. JA Fant

JA Fant New Member

Thanks for sharing!

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Thanks Martin I will check it out on NJN!

7. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Active Member

Thanks, should be interesting.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

bummer as it doesn't seem to be airing in the NYC/Long Island area yet. looks very interesting...

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Carolyn told me that WLIW picked it up, but last I heard from her, she did have a date/time for their first airing yet.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My DVR is set to record it this coming week.

Chris C

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh great, fantastic news. i'm very interested in seeing this. thanks...:righton:

13. Khojem

Khojem Active Member

Hello Martin. Looks like a good program. Any idea if it will air in Los Angeles again? Perhaps on PBS Socal (KOCE)? I just found the thread and missed the airing on KCET.
    Thanks!

14. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Well-Known Member

The 2008 program aired again last night on PBS.

Import CD also has the DVD for under $8 !