AIVS "Down With Dirty" record cleaning fluid

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hvbias, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

Has anyone tried their new record cleaning fluid "Down With Dirty"? It's aimed at being a budget cleaning fluid.

I've been using AIVS #15 and find I go through it quite quickly. Though I do use more than the recommended amount for better results (in my experience) so the costs add up.

I will probably give it a try when my current bottle of #15 is finished, but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it yet. Cheers :cheers:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/AUDIO-IN...IRTY-RECORD-CLEANING-KIT/productinfo/AIVDD18/

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I could have written you post. I've been doing and thinking the same thing.

When my #15 runs out I plan on getting this. I will make up double strength mix for new and problem records, and a single strength mix for maintenance cleaning.

hvbias likes this.
  3. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

That looks awesome, I am almost out of fluid now and have been kicking options around in my head.

Is this intended to be a one step system or is a rinse recommended/required after this step?

hvbias likes this.
  4. hvbias

It says to rinse with water after the double concentration solution. Personally I would rinse even after the regular concentration since it's only a few seconds on an RCM.

Instructions: http://www.audiointelligent.com/Down With Dirty Website Instructions.pdf

whaleyboy likes this.
  5. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Thanks!

I read the site and instructions and it wasn't clear if this new "budget" solution was intended to be one step (at regular strength) or a part of a system. You are probably right, a subsequent rinse step is probably a good idea anyway.

hvbias likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

I ordered a bottle today. I will mix two solutions: single and double strength. For both I will still use a pure water rinse. I would never consider anything but finishing with a pure water rinse anyway.

whaleyboy and hvbias like this.
  7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Cool. I am almost out of my last batch (some unseen criminal hand spilled most of it, I think it happened when we had painting being done) and I think that I am going to order a bottle of this stuff, too.

I also just received some "Reagent" grade distilled water which I am planning to use for a final rinse.

Good luck!

8. Danglerb

Danglerb Forum Resident

How is it it record cleaning solution, ie a drop of soap, industrial alcohol and water, is more expensive than good scotch?

9. hvbias

How it it you can buy a set of cables that cost more than a new Porsche? ;)

I've tried AIVS #15 and it works better than the above home made concoction you mentioned. Quiet vinyl is worth it.

RaceTripper likes this.
  10. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

How is it a "budget cleaning fluid" if it costs nearly three times as much as their regular product?

11. hvbias

It's a concentrate that makes 6 gallons... did you read the description?

macster likes this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

I abandoned my idea of using both single- and double-strength. I mixed up a double-strength solution to use as regular cleaning, with a pure water rinse. I cleaned up some old records today and they sounded great.

13. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I finally had time to clean records this afternoon. I mixed a batch of this stuff (I went 1.5 strength) and followed up with a rinse with Reagent level distilled water (why not).

I just got a new vacuum tube and brush so I used the new ones for the final, reagent, rinse and I also washed everything out with distilled water (as per instructions) before mixing up the solutions and etc. It seems a little excessive but what the hell :)

I am spinning the recently cleaned records and so far the first one sounds great.

hvbias likes this.
  14. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

Hello, new here and looking to pick up my first batch of record cleaning supplies. I am very interested in the "down with dirty" concentrate, as AIVS seems to have quite a good reputation. Does anybody have any further thoughts about this product. Sound like the two who posted above were happy with initial results. Just curious if they are still satisfied with the down with dirty concentrate. This is all new to me, I just built a RCM, and have tried distilled water on a record to test it. Seems like a good deal, and I would be set for a long time, but it would be great to read further comments. Any suggestions, etc. for a to the world of record vacuuming, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    paul

15. Josquin des Prez

I'm still happy with using DD. I finished cleaning up my original vinyl collection using it. I still use Formula 15 for cleaning brand new records, and double-strength DD followed with a pure water rinse for maintenance. Works great and I can recommend it.

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been using the AIVS one step cleaning solution with my Okki Nokki and love it.

17. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

Thanks Josquin.

18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I've been using DWD (higher strength mix) for a little under a year now. It's the second step in my cleaning process and works great. I complete things with L'Art du Son as the final step...I find that it really helps to remove any static build-up prior to ripping/playing the vinyl.

19. hvbias

Now that you've used it for a while, would you say the DWD is just as effective as the #15?

(question is open to anyone that has used both)

20. Josquin des Prez

I don't know. I still use both. #15 for first time; DWD for maintenance. How do you even test something like that objectively?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.