AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Abbey Road, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The price makes them tempting. But I've heard other AKG headphones, including the 701, 702, 501, 601. And the AKG open headphones of that style aren't for me. So it's easy for me to pass on this massdrop.

But that doesn't mean the AKG open headphones of that style are bad. It's entirely a preference thing. And that makes it very difficult to know if you'd like them if you've never heard an AKG open headphone before.

I personally much prefer the Senn HD600 to any of the AKG headphones. And I like planar magnetic headphones. The AKGs are not like the Senns or planars. Quite different in sound in bass, midrange and soundstage style. The folks who like the AKGs tend to focus on the open soundstage they offer. The AKG soundstage makes it sound like notes or sounds are flying by, like you can reach out an grab them as they fly by. It's a spacial thing that many other headphones tend to lack.

What headphones are you using now?

3. Abbey Road

Normally the Sony MDR-1R, but sending those in just under the end of warranty due to a buzzing in one channel. I really think I'd like an open headphone, and what you describe sounds very much like what be looking for. Selling my UE Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs on eBay right now, because I don't use them often. I also have a Schitt Vali /Modi stack now, which can easily overdrive the MDR-1Rs, but I think will pair better with the AKGs.

So now I'm using my trusty MDR-7506 with Beyerdyanmic Pads. :)

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I love my AKG 701's.

rxcory likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too. Mine, not yours!

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've got a number of AKG phones. I suppose I kind of collect them, but they are quite different from the sound signature of many other phones. Before investing, I'd try some, as they seem to attract lovers and haters of that sound.

Abbey Road likes this.
  7. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I have K601's from the initial K releases. If you enjoy a big "airy" presentation and don't mind a long break-in (200-300 hours in my experience) you will enjoy the series. If you prefer isolation and or "big bass" then you would be disappointed.

8. Abbey Road

This is what attracts me to the series; I'm looking for headphones that feel more like listening to speakers, and descriptions like yours make me think I'm barking up the right tree.

I just noticed that my MDR-7506 are 63 Ohms and these are 62 Ohms. Does this mean I should have very similar headroom/power coming out of my pre-amp for for sets?

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

All the AKG's I've tried in the past have the same thing in common:

Lack of bass

10. Ham Sandwich

Buzzing in one channel can be caused by something like a hair poking through and making contact with the driver, or some other type of debris making contact with the driver. Try removing any hairs from the ear cups. If you can remove the ear pads and other coverings enough to see the driver try blowing very softly (very softly) on the driver to dislodge any debris.

11. kevinsinnott

This sounds like AKG phones. They are very good at putting an image outside the head. I do not miss loudspeakers nearly as much using AKG phones.

Abbey Road likes this.
  12. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

K712's have bass, and sound great with Oppo HA-1

wgb113 likes this.
  13. kevinsinnott

I own the AKG k501, which is known as among the leanest of the line regarding bass. Amazingly, there is bass, but there is clearly a different profile or perhaps EQ curve (or lack thereof). As I said, it must be heard. Some recordings just sound superb, and make me feel like I'm listening to a great loudspeaker system, so capable are these at placing the soundfield out of my head.

14. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

My 601's require quite a bit more juice to achieve equal SPL's to my MDR-V300's (I use a Headroom "The Max" HA, and it just barely gets the job done on the 601's). I think that is because of the open "leaky" design of the AKG's. That said, I find the AKG's much more satisfying at lower listening levels than my other 'phones. As mentioned above this design is much more "speaker-like" in presentation than a closed design headphone. Based on your original link to the K7xx it looks like they have tweaked them to output 3db more bass (though they do not specify at what point in the freq curve they are boosted) than the original K's, so that is promising.

The price is right, I say go for it. When you receive them: Plug them in, place them over a shoebox (the narrow dimension), queue up some wide-bandwidth electronica and crank them 24/7. That should break them in nicely to start. Hope you enjoy.

15. Ham Sandwich

The K7XX has gotten good reviews and measurements. If you're at all curious about these headphones I'd suggest getting in on the deal. Especially given the price.

I've already managed to deplete my 2015 headphone budget and 2015 hasn't even started yet. Oppos and an HE-560 are already committed. And an IEM is tempting me. So I've got to tap out on this deal. No headphone budget left.

16. Abbey Road

Thanks.

I was under the impression the breaking-in headphones was more woo than reality. Have there ever been any peer-reviewed tests to illustrate the effects of breaking in headphones empirically? (Will start new thread.)

17. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Empirical? Well, I wont argue the concept. Folks tend to get overworked on the subject. I personally have experienced break-in (and warm-up) to improve and in one case degrade the sound of various electronic devices, so that is all the proof I require on the subject. Bottom line is that it costs nothing to try.

Theoretical? I assume most folks would agree that mechanical devices (all made of elements on the periodic table, subject to the laws of physics) exhibit different characteristics and behaviors due to temperature, humidity, vibration, the passage of time, etc.. Whether or not it can be measured by the human ear is another matter.

The biggest change in sound due to "break in", in my experience, happens to be speakers and headphones. Likely due in most part to the polymers and glues in the surrounds of the driver(s) flexing/loosening over time.

The one case where break-in initially improved and then degraded sound was with my short-lived Ortofon 2M Blue. The first 50 hours was disappointing, the next hundred hours was nice, after that the bass became too heavy handed and woolly in my setup.

18. Abbey Road

Started a new thread on the subject of break-in here. You might want to move your comment over.

19. kevinsinnott

Do headphones really "break in"? They seem to. Unless it's the wearer who gets broken in, as they notice certain things and get used to a different aural perspective.

nitsuj likes this.
  20. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

And not just audio equipment. I swear the faux-espresso's from my Brikka get better and better as the tarnish builds and the years go by... :)

kevinsinnott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.