Al Jardine - A Postcard from California tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marka, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marka

marka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last night I had the opportunity to see Al Jardine perform at a club, with his son Matt and his musical director. We saw Al a few years ago on the Pet Sounds anniversary tour with Brian Wilson at the Hollywood Bowl. But this was, not to offend anyone, almost like seeing The Beach Boys in a small club.

Matt again was in great voice, singing the high stuff.

Al really carried the show well. He was in great voice, played well, was engaging, and funny.

The show started with him playing a recording of the Beach Boys first recording - at Brian, Carl, and Dennis’ house, and with the recording fading out, the live band faded in.

Music was played with historical Beach Boys pictures (focusing on Al, of course) projected on large screens at the sides of the stage.

Al told a number of great stories...how he met Brian...how their music progressed one chord at a time...when John and George knocked on his hotel room door late at night...the recording of the apparently drug-induced Vega-tables, etc.

And the music was great! Performed superbly, for the most part. One exception (though with a great story) was Good Vibrations, which I thought was bit lifeless. One or two others were a bit slow. But that was the exception. They played most of the Beach Boys well known songs, and some from Al’s solo album.

I know that in the near future he’ll be on tour with Brian, but when he goes back out solo - see him!

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well guess what, Al is doing a 2018 version! I am going to browbeat my mom into flying out from Chicago.

Anyone going near LA? Oh wow, this is just 4 shows on this "tour"-pretty rare.
    Calendar | Al Jardine
    Sunday October 7 (two shows)
    Yoshi's
    Oakland, CA

Friday October 12
    The Canyon
    Santa Clarita, CA

Saturday October 13
    The Canyon
    Agoura Hills, CA

Sunday October 14
    The Canyon at The Rose
    Pasadena, CA

marka likes this.
  3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The Canyon in Agoura is a weird venue but quite suitable.

I emailed Al’s management to see if he’d be doing any UK solo gigs whilst over here with Brian (as he is now); no response, alas.

4. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I would be very interested. Regrettably , I don’t think it would be runner on this side of the Atlantic.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's odd that Brian Wilson's solo tour has more original Beach Boys than the actual current Beach Boys do.

Al is a class act.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

That is correct in that two is a larger number than one. We're also splitting hairs when we overlook that Bruce Johnston played with the band at the height of their popularity and most artistically revered period . He only joined four less years later than when Al Jardine joined. This is a band that has a fifty year plus history. Let's include Bruce Johnston as one of the most important members of the band, given his writing and lead contributions to 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, and the 1985 self titled album. He also sang background vocals on Summer Days (And Summer Nights), Pet Sounds, etc. and produced The Beach Boys' fantastic Light Album from 1979. We love you Bruce!

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

l
    I'd be there like a shot.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  8. marka

marka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the post. We will probably go to the show at the Rose, though I’m tempted to try for the hat trick, and see all three L.A. shows. I like, but was never a huge Beach Boys fan, but the show I saw was that good.

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My mom likes the idea of that show because it's Pasadena, so iconic, "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and all that. But showtime 9pm, and work the next day, ugh. That suggest Agoura Hills on a Saturday, but if my mom visits it's nice to go to dinner with the in-laws. Which moves us to the Friday show but OMG traffic up to Santa Clarita on a Friday afternoon...o_O

10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Saw this show at the bizarre venue of The Cave in Big Bear, where he pulled maybe 60 people? Strangely, I found some of the more baroque material (to me Hnv, GV, GOK) actually sounded better in this very sparse two instrument-three voice arrangement than the old rockers, and was amazed and impressed that Al travels with a stand up bass and pulls it out to play it on GOK, and very deftly to boot! Definitely not something a BBs fanatic should miss if they are within a couple of hours of it. He came out to sign and chat for awhile after show at the one I saw as well, tho he balked at the three LPs I proferred---but did sign one. (Was mostly signing event posters from the club, freely handed out)

It was a lot less Al centered then you might expect from an Al solo show, but there you go. I guess these guys all think that anything they do needs to be over half ENDLESS SUMMER tracks.

MRamble and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Al is being inducted into the Rochester music hall of fame on Sunday night I am thrilled to attend. Will report back

Tord, Aurora, Lonesurf and 2 others like this.
  12. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

yes re bruce. my pop and melcher and bruce had a label deal together. he is a huge talent, and has been for 60+ years!

i only hold against him his "i write the songs" lol

13. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

if i had to choose one? agoura. parking is easy, its never hard to get in/out and i like that weird place.

i've seen lots of old friends and favorites play there. plus i can get home to pch safely :)

head_unit likes this.
  14. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

I would love to see a live release from Al's tour. It's a blessing that he's still so good vocally.

15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Is the floor still totally covered with carpets? And-per my one and only experience there, seeing Blue Oyster Cult-is it uncomfortably jammed for standing room and bathroom?
    The Pasadena Rose/Canyon seemed pretty large and open for an Accept show.

17. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Played the double treat Sunflower/Surf's Up yesterday. Always liked Jardine's folky, yet underrated Lookin' At Tomorrow very much.

Tord, oldsurferdude and MRamble like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So as anyone could expect, al was a true gentleman and told a few stories about his local connection to Rochester and his migration west. Segueing nicely into a gorgeous telling of postcards from California one was given a complete understanding of the autobiographical nature of the song. Paying tribute to brian, in my room was simply breathtaking. Amazing so textured a performance from this trio on this arrangement. That was followed by a one two punch of surfing USA>help me Rhonda which also featured a full band and backup singers.

The band returned for the knockin on heavens door encore along with the rest of the evenings performers. Never in a million years would I ever guess I would see al perform with carmine appice on drums and tony Franklin on bass

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Tord and Elizabeth M like this.
  21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

This is an Al Jardine thread and he was incredibly important to the band's sound and could sound like Brian in the live shows and in the studio. Johnston could not do so because of his thin vocals. Johnston's stuff was at best slathered in fruictose and corn syrup to the point of being hokey with marmalade in the middle. He had an incredible voice that far exceeded Johnston's to this day. He now tours with the King of All Egos, Mike Love and does nothing on stage but clap his hands and pander to his leader. Please do not make Johnston an important member of the real Beach Boys. The Light album was far from "fantastic".

fishcane and Phil12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.