Al Jean: No further seasons of The Simpsons will be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And that would be a legit complaint.

I'm not sure what they could do to make a mega-set appealing to all of the folks who already bought the individual packages. Give us the first 12 seasons on Blu-ray? That's not a selling point, IMO - those early seasons aren't going to gain much from BD due to the quality of the source material.

Add extras? Yeah, that'd be nice, but what could they add that'd make the set super-appealing? The existing DVDs already have lots of deleted scenes and commentaries.

I'm not saying I couldn't be suckered into a mega-set at some point, but I still think it'd be a difficult sell - I just don't know what it'd offer that'd make it worth the money...

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

:laugh: Yeah, I'm actually probably going to buy Josie And the Pussycats in Outer Space.

San, jupiter8 and LSP2003 like this.
  3. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Most younger people I know think that the concept of physical media is completely foreign. When I say that I buy DVDs, blu-rays and CDs they usually are surprised and say "why?" - more of my friends that are in their 40's only buy a blu-ray now and then and use Spotify for most of their music. We are a dying breed..

And I do not like buying DVD-R or CD-R releases as I feel like I need to back them up due to degradation over time. I would have bought Josie And the Pussycats in Outer Space if it was on a regular DVD!

4. im sure most of you have seen this on the digital bits

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/040915_1430

Now the lack of a release from Fox for the completed "The Abyss" and "True Lies" as well as the lack of release for "The X-Files" for BD makes me really dislike Fox. Here you have fans that want to buy product and they just refuse to issue it.

There are some shows I stream and some I want to buy. If Fox isn't willing to put this out, license it to a company that will. Studios are run by idiot bean counters who turn away from profit. I find this ironic given that Fox is the studio marketing (poorly I might add). In my opinion, a Fox is one of the worst studios when it comes to this type of stuff. A pox on them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Benno123 likes this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Cherish your original release of the X-files .:D
    Then you have 2010 slim pack version with a lot extras gone.
    It's strange the released Lost In Space On Blu Ray?
    I will always treasure psychical media. It's can't be erased
    or taken away with hiccup in the system.:wave:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Audio cassette and VHS it was possible to tape over. I've used store commercial titles as "blanks".

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

As someone who owns seasons 1-17 and 20, I am very disappointed by this news.

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Does psychical media allow you to see the future?

9. Mirrorblade.1

Oh , yes it does Progrocker I see you need to buy more Cheetos and salsa.
    And Winne The Pooh will be a live action movie.:laugh::winkgrin:

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Perhaps it was because the cardboard digipaks themselves got slimmer over the years? The earlier season sets did indeed take up more space than a regular DVD (they were about 2 or 3 times the width of a regular slimcase!) but as the years went on, the later season DVDs were packaged in noticeably slimmer cardboard digipaks. (I never bought any of the "head" cases myself... the DVD sets wouldn't evenly line up back-to-back on the shelf with those things!) :p

11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, I know--I see the recent seasons are smaller.

Actually, a few years ago I noticed that The Simpsons early-era digipaks had slimmed by a fractional amount not worth double-dipping for. FYE had some of both versions and I lined them up and noticed a minor difference. The new versions had a 2011 date on the back, IIRC.

13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I watched and taped the show since it started in 1989 as a series. I stuck with vhs. I bought a dvd player because of Simpson dvds. I got rid of 1 through the first part of 18 on vhs. I figured they'd be out on dvd. I moved between 17 and 18 and sent the older ones to an ex. I have half of 18 through 25 on vhs but I rarely watch them. I enjoyed the show but stopped recording them when I got rid of my cable last year. The Simpsons and Family Guy were the only things I watched and it wasn't worth paying for that. While I'm sad to hear the sets won't be around, I notice there is so much to watch and when watching them, I'm not doing anything else unlike with music. It's a mixed blessing for me but I'm also a completist. Maybe with an uproar 18 and 19 will come out so the first 20 are out, maybe not. There are good episodes in each season along with clunkers. The show has outlived a couple of medias. The time we will get the whole show on one format is after the show is done and whatever the prevailing media is at that time (and after). Hold tight! When they stop after season 30, you'll see the entire series in some form. Vinyl stuck around but that was more a quality thing. This is a tangible thing. Books are next. Maybe we won't get physical copies of The Beatles All These Years 2 & 3. I'm gonna go sit down now.

14. Mirrorblade.1

Do you realize how heavy a complete box set would weigh?:yikes:
    once the show is cancelled.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe the whole show will be on a disc the size of an iPod disc.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

By the time the show ends, the technology to put it all on a 5TB Bart Simpson USB drive will probably exist.

17. Mirrorblade.1

lets say 5 disc per season times 27 seasons 130 discs.:yikes:
    It will come in life size homer head he opens his mouth and dvds come out.:laugh:

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If the first 12-13 seasons are "SD Blu-ray" then you can get the set under 100 discs.

Do Season 20 commentary tracks exist?

19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Possibly only on Simpsons World.

20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I only buy stuff I know I will watch multiple times or stuff that is really cheap (I just bought Predator on Blu-ray for $5 the other day). I know some people who used to buy everything Criterion put out, I buy only the stuff I truly love. Films like the Elephant Man (yes, I know it's not a Criterion) that are fantastic films but depress me so much I never wanna see again obviously don't make the cut.

I see certain Kubrick and Hitchcock films like Beatles albums, I'll probably have multiple copies over many different formats over my lifetime.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I watched the Movie...and haven't watched an episode since.

22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The movie is actually really good compared to season 18 which is when the movie came out.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Nobody at Fox has the " Courage"... to pull the plug on the Simpsons?
    I don't know why? The ratings are lackluster nobody wants Simpsons
    merchandise anymore?
    It's mystery like Pyramids of Egypt?

24. Blob 1965

Blob 1965 New Member

According to reports remaining seasons aren't going to be released on Blu-ray either.

25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe this is what shows will do is not release a physical product until the show is off the air (unless there is money to be made).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.