Alan Parsons - Tales 40th Anniversary boxset with 5.1 bluray.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Coming in the summer, along with a 45rpm vinyl.

From Alan's Facebook page:
    Who would have thought I'd be talking about anything I worked on 40 years after it happened? OK. So the Beatles were a part of everyone's history, but in 2013, when Dark Side Of The Moon had its 40th birthday, I was reminded how important that record would be to my future. It was 3 short years after Dark Side was released that Eric Woolfson (also my manager at the time) and I assembled an album on which the star was intended to be Edgar Allan Poe - I thought I would be a line of small print as producer and co-writer but that changed as the APP identity was born upon the release of Tales. I am proud to be still flying the flag supporting this album in the live arena along with the many more albums that ensued under the banner of The Alan Parsons Project.

It's a great thrill to tell you that this summer, Universal will be releasing the album in a 40th anniversary multi-disc box set including a 4-sided vinyl set at 45rpm (amazing quality), 3 CDs - one of which is all-new bonus material and a 5.1 surround mix on Blu-ray . The surround version will be a totally new mix which I hope to complete within the next few weeks.

2. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Summer just a got a whole lot better! One of my favorite albums of all the 1970s, getting the 5.1 treatment I've craved since I started with the Yes, Tull, Gentle Giant, etc. deluxe reissues.

Jarleboy and RickH like this.
  3. agn

agn Forum Resident

Looking forward to this!

4. Oh yeah baby! Bring it on! :goodie:

mike catucci likes this.
  5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Sounds cool.

6. I hope though that since it's a Universal title it doesn't get pressed at GZ Vinyl. That would be the only downer potentially.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Bring it on, can't wait.

8. My MFSL gold disc will be hard to beat when it comes to the sound of the original mix. 5.1 surround could be nice if it's well done, but I'll wait for the reviews. Since it's not my favourite APP album I hope this will lead to other albums being mixed in 5.1 as well.

formu_la and Galley like this.
  9. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Hell yes!

I'm all for this as long as the mastering is done well. Fingers crossed.

Chris C, dougb222 and full moon like this.
  10. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seeing as Side B of the original album was a 16 min song and a 4 min song be interesting to see how they divide that up for the 45rpm.

Wingsfan2012 and The_Windmill like this.
  11. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

oooops!

12. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

how long a 45rpm side can be?

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

While I have the 3 titles on 24/192 discs, and more I Robot-related formats, I Never Bought This One , but I damn sure will now !!!
    Thanks !

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder if the Blu-ray will be sold separately? Maybe Alan Parsons will consider doing more 5.1 mixes of other APP albums.

Bill

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would bet no, they won't milk enough money out of the buyers that way. :) The Mofi sounds terrific, my decision will be made on the quality of the bonus material. I assume the two other CD's will be the original and stereo remix?

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bummer! But you're probably right as that would be to easy. If it's a big expensive box set I'll pass as all I'd be interested in would be the 5.1 mix. If I start a WTB now will that put me first in line :D? I just remembered that I have the "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" MOFI Gold CD. It'll be the first disc in the Oppo in the AM :).

Bill

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    formu_la likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looks like it will fix the problem with the other reissues, too, according to Parsons' recent Tweet

@alanparsons: "Remix of Tales going swimmingly. This one is going to sound a lot louder and in your face the way we always had hoped! Bad boy rawks!"

Jarleboy and Mister Charlie like this.
  18. Myke

I've posted the question on Parsons' FB page. Cuts out needless speculation.

Jarleboy, pscreed and Bill Mac like this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bill

20. Myke

I need to know myself. Not exactly crapping money here.

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I was obviously speculating but I figured why not join the club? If I was Pete Rose I would be betting on the expensive options.

22. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Considering we all know how to use our volume controls that doesn't sound good at all...

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Will the 45rpm be all analog??? Automatic buy if it is. Of course this is Universal. Has Universal released any AAA vinyl in the last ten years? I doubt it.

Will the blu-ray have a stereo mix included?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

The Mo-Fi vinyl is as high-rez as I need it and leaves the original master alone!

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I bought two sealed copies of this years ago and both copies were flawed. The vinyl was very noisy. Unlistenalble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.