Alanis Morissette- My Humps video

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I actually like Alanis a little more now - she seems to have gotten a sense of humour about herself and life in recent years (ie: touring with Barenaked Ladies, this video, etc.) And it's strange, but I actually find her sort of attractive now. That's not something I ever thought I'd say.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed (except I've always thought she was attractive).

I just wish she'd do a two-for-one US release of "Alanis" and "Now Is The Time" and toss the song "Fate Stay with Me" with the B-side "Find the Right Man" as bonus tracks. I already have the Canadian CDs of those first two albums but I'd love to hear that single and its flip side.

3. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Brilliant! Yep, she sings it well. (She could sing the yellow pages and make it work.) The video makes it even better (a contrast in styles: serio-comic) and I must say, she's getting better with age.

4. I've not always been a fan, but she seems to be getting better and better with each mew album.

I can't cite all the album titles off the top of my head (at work now, and no time to look them up at the moment), but I'd say her last two (two most recent) albums have been fantastic(!) -- and I quite like the one or perhaps even two albums prior to that.

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I don't get the forum hatred for "My Humps" (or "Sexyback" or whatever else the clubs are playing) since it's a goof-off dance track that doesn't pretend to be meaningful. Obviously it succeeds as a dance track.

Aiming low is probably preferable to the sort of bad poetry from classic rock icons that members often quote in their profiles. Is "My Humps" dumber than most Yes, bad Brian Wilson or almost all solo Paul McCartney?

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

'My Humps' is an easy target, even though I like Alanis' spoof on it. It's as if Alanis is making fun of her own 'serious' image as well as the song.

I do agree with your statement though. 'My Humps' is harmless goofy fun. Nothin' wrong with that IMHO.

dan c

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes. I loathe Yes, but even they never came up with anything as inane and moronic as referring to "lovely lady lumps". Man, that line makes me NOT want to think about boobies - I didn't think that was possible! :thumbsdn:

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Boy George could sing 'My Humps' and I'm still gonna think about boobies! Maybe my standards are lower than yours...;)

9. PaulKTF

I think the odds of George singing that are pretty slim... :laugh:

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

If she's gone out of her way to show her brilliance to me, she's failed miserably! (She sings like a cat with her tail caught in a fence!):D

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

and it shows that despite some of her complicated lyrics (I like her but don't know what she's talking about half the time) it reveals she has a sense of humour.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Well, you said it.....I'll just agree with you. Never have and never will be a fan of hers.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't understand the hatred for it, either. The original song was a joke, a joke, a little lady joke! Why does no one see that?

I think the trick to understanding that phrase is talking like a female. In other words, ever listen to young women joke around? If a man wrote those lyrics, he's got an understanding of the world of women!

Uh...i'd draw the line with Boy George. If he sang it, i'd think about puking.

14. GRAMMY WINNER GENRE CATEGORY YEAR TITLE PERFORMING ARTIST
    Black Eyed Peas (Will Adams, Allen Pineda, Stacy Ferguson, Jaime Gomez), artist. Pop Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2006 - 49th Annual GRAMMY Awards My Humps The Black Eyed Peas

:rolleyes:

(source)

15. I never liked the look Alanis went for in the '90s, but I've always thought she was attractive. Her look in the '80s showed off her beauty more.

I love the song 'My Humps'. It's a goofy song, not meant to be taken seriously. I also love the 'Black Eyed Peas' video for it.

16. Mike

Mike New Member

:laugh: All I know is, after hearing My Humps, I was walking around for a couple weeks randomly saying to people, "Check it out!"

17. evenreven

evenreven New Member

I hate My Humps, but I hate this even more. Spoofing something stupid doesn't make the spoofer any smarter. It's such an easy target. At least BEP - who I hate with a passion - at least halfway meant what they were singing, and didn't go for the snide, condescending and wink-wink-nudge-nudge. The giggle at the end makes me want to smoke crack - AAAAARRRRGGHH!!

I love absurd covers, though. The Flaming Lips' "Can't Get You Out of My Head" was brilliant. But that worked because Wayne Coyne took the lyrics at face value and sang the hell out of it - no "I'm smarter than you" attitude. And Wayne might be smarter than me - Alanis sure ain't.

If you want a good hip-hop parody video, check out Chris Cunningham's video for Aphex Twin's Windowlicker.

18. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

By the same token, not even Albert Einstein himself could sufficiently explain the theory of relativity to an imbecile. :D

19. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

Did anyone stop to consider that this was an APRIL FOOLS JOKE? I doubt Alanis was making some grand artistic statement, I think she was just goofing on a tragically horrific song. Any song that repeats the words "My Humps" FIFTY-FIVE (55) times in the span of three minutes is begging to be parodied.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm beginning to think that a lot of people just don't have a sense of humor.

21. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

As I posted on the messageboard, I didn't know that this song even HAD a emlody per se.

22. evenreven

evenreven New Member

I know it's a joke - I just don't think it's funny. As for begging to be parodied, the Black Eyed Peas could just as well parody Alanis' ridiculously overwrought, "sensitive" singing or her no-fun, whiny lyrics.

23. PaulKTF

They could; but they lack that whole pesky "musical talent" thing that Alanis has going for her...

24. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

reminds me of what she did with her Jagged-Little Pill starbucks remake

what a joker

25. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

:agree:

Weird Al should do a parody of it. If Alanis was trying to make the point that "My Humps" wasn't a paragon of feminist virtues, then apparently she was the last one to figure that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.