Alanis Morissette- You Oughta Know radio edit oddity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I just heard a weird radio edit of Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know on Gen X Radio on IHeartRadio.

The word they edited out?

"Down".

As in "Would she go down on you in a theater?".

I've never heard a word edited out of a song based on context as opposed to actually being an obscenity.

I just thought that was a really strange edit.

Of course the F-Word is edited out of this radio edit and the music video, but I was expecting that. :)

"Down" is left intact in the music video, oddly enough.

The commercial single and promo single both have a "Clean Album Version" of the song:

http://www.discogs.com/Alanis-Morissette-You-Oughta-Know/release/368400

so I guess that must be what I heard today. I've owned the single since 1995 but I don't think I ever actually bothered to play the title track on it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    RelayerNJ likes this.
  2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I have the promo CD which just silences the F bomb, and the " extra clean version" that I have replaces the theatre line with the Mr Duplicity line from the later verse.

3. PaulKTF

Ah! Okay, that's interesting! Thank you for the information. :)

4. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

5. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I've heard radio play it both with and without the "down on you," so it seems to be a case-by-case basis which version is used. I do remember that even back when the song was new, MTV always edited the "down" out of the video version, while other stations like The Box didn't.

6. PaulKTF

Okay, so that probably means that the stations got the song with "down on you..." and it was up to each individual station (or cluster of stations) to edit it out if they wanted to. Interesting!

7. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Agreed.

I guess the only official versions are the ones on the CD single and the promo CD of the album.

Radio stations are prone to doing their own edits.

One station I worked at did their own "no rap" edits.

8. PaulKTF

They edited rap interludes out of songs?

Best radio station ever! :)

Nobby likes this.
  9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I remember on MTV back then they reversed "down" and the F word

10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I also thought there was a Radio Disney lyrics version where she says "would she make out with you in a theater" and "are you thinking of me when you kiss her"? Maybe I'm just imagining things.

11. PaulKTF

While there are a lot of Radio Disney exclusive versions of songs that change the lyrics, I don't think You Oughta Know is one of them.

The song is really too old of a "modern" song to be played on Radio Disney, and also it's not really kid-friendly even with altered lyrics (the song is about a scorned woman chewing out her ex-boyfriend, after all!).

But I would be highly amused if I'm wrong and there is a Radio Disney edit of it. :) I just can't find any evidence that there is.

"And are you thinking of me when you (INSERT GOOFY LAUGH HERE) her?". :)

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've heard similar edits on the radio. For instance, in Kid Rock's "Cowboy" they'd edit the "paint his wife" line in my area. I think in this age of big fines & vague rules from the FCC, they err on the side of caution.

13. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

In the mid 90s, MTV would edit the word "cold" from the line "Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold" from "Regulate" by Warren G.

14. PaulKTF

So now he's just "About to make some bodies turn"? What, like on a rotisserie? :)

elgoodo and Simon A like this.
  15. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Strange how a word like "down" would be edited out these days when the typical top forty station plays explicit songs with so mildly edited words and phrases that leaves nothing to the imagination.

On the other hand, I wish streaming sites like Apple Music would have a setting so that my kids' devices only played the clean versions.

When I was a kid, a local TV station in Toronto that played a lot of movies would censor bad words in what seemed like odd ways. For instance, the word "mother" would be the one bleeped out instead of the adjacent f-word. Always wondered if they did that 'accidentally' or if the m-word really was the one censors wanted cut.

16. PaulKTF

That is weird. Maybe the censors had mommy issues. :)

ARK likes this.
  17. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I remember that from city tv's late great movies. I think it's because mf was banned not f, so there's a lot less work to do to just censor the mothers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.