Alanis Morissette's version of "My Humps"...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greatest Hits, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

2. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

No idea, but this video is hysterical. It's total grassroots-style buzz. I saw it a about a week ago. Rumor has it the whole thing cost $2000 and she shot it in her house.

You want to see something else that's even funnier? Search on Sad Kermit's version of "Hurt." I'll warn you that it gets a little graphic in one scene.

3. Questn_Reality

Questn_Reality New Member

That kind of creeps me out a little bit. It's different. Hard for me to watch all the wildness that the song projects & listen to the song being sung low key. I keep waiting for her to bust out Fergie style. Heard it for the first time last week. Now after seeing the video it's complete.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

5. Greatest Hits

I searched for this too. Didn't come up with anything.

Anyway, I'd actually buy her version. I just love it when she goes into the line: "what you going to do with all that breast insi-yi-ide that shurt...". Alanis reminds me of a female Harry Nilsson. Started off pop (Nilsson's 60's/ Alanis' 80s), moved on to really hard-egded stuff and surprised everyone (Nilsson Schmilsson/Jagged Little Pill), did a really slow mushy depressing song that everyone seemed to like (Without You/Uninvited), and now is just goofing around (Sandman album/"My Humps" video). What do you all think?

6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think Nilsson had a great voice. I also liked his songs a lot. I never felt like vomiting when I heard his music. That's what I think.

7. Greatest Hits

I'm a HUGE Nilsson fan but I understand why people don't get into Alanis.
    She made a great album and it sadly got OVERPLAYED so now very few people like to hear anything else from her.

She's not the best but she's not terrible either. Her voice is like no other; that can either be a good or a bad thing.

She kind of lost me when she did that cover of Seal's "Crazy". I know it's like her favorite song but she brought absolutely NOTHING new or different to that song. BLAND at best.

That's why I like her "My Humps" so much. I know it was a joke but it just works so well. I love how she's totally serious with it too.

Other good Alanis cover versions:
    "Dear Prudence" - from the John Lennon tribute concert
    "Let's Do It" - from the De-Lovely soundtrack

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I was a little harsh, I should have just mentioned that Nilsson was a fantastic singer, started off writing great pop like "One" and "Everybody's Talking", was rocking hard ("jump into the fire") even as he killed ballads like "Without You," and isn't really "goofing around" these days, since he's been dead for a few years. I just don't see much similarity.

Over-familiarity didn't make me dislike Alanis, I really didn't like her stuff from the git go. That's just me, if "Humps" floated your boat, then more power to you!

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Not to be anal, but of course Nilsson didn't write Everybody's Talking, Fred Neil did.

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.