Alaska Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by orchidze, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Everyone!
    I l've been listening to Peter Gabriel I aka Car today.
    I have a question(maybe dumb) about the lyrics in "Excuse Me" :

You got the money back, that's okay
    Who needs a Cadillac anyway
    I got the medicine, make you see the light
    Call me in Alaska if it all turns out right (Allright)

Also I recall the same lyrics in Lou Reed's "Caroline Says II":

Caroline says
    while biting her lip
    Life is meant to be more than this
    and this is a bum trip

But she's not afraid to die
    all her friends call her "Alaska"
    When she takes speed, they laugh and ask her

So what does it mean: "To call "Alaska"?

Is there any connection between these two albums except the same production team and musicians?
    Or maybe I just don't understand the language right and it's a cliche expression (remember I'm not a native speaker)

2. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

In these examples, the usages differ but the symbolism is likely related… by distance. I just read the entire lyric of each song to better understand the context. With Gabriel, “Excuse Me” pertains to a need or desire to be alone. In American geography, of the states that can be reached by car, Alaska is the most alone, the most distant. Gabriel asks to be called in Alaska, which can be taken literally, in the U.S. state, or figuratively, poetically, in a state of aloneness. Since the word is capitalized, it suggests the U.S. state. With Lou Reed, “Alaska” is a nickname… pretty good, too, referring to color (of the drug, the stereotypical image of the U.S. state covered in snow, and likely of the woman in the lyric) as well as how distant she is from the others when she is zoning on amphetamines.

I have never heard of speed (amphetamines) called Alaska, nor the word as a cliché.

And, no, the question isn’t dumb, not in the least. In fact, it is admirable to learn more than one language and to pay attention to such nuances in the lyrics.

Cheers

3. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

In "Caroline Says II" and its source song "Stephanie Says" the key line for me is "It's so cold in Alaska". To mean it means that she is already cold and lifeless.

4. orchidze

Thanks for your explanation, George.
    Symbolism, Poetry.... You Know, when you live in the country covered with snow for the most part of the year you don't usually pay attention to white color. Now I see the referrence)).
    And yes, I forgot that Alaska is somewhat distant from other U.S. states

But it's a pity that these songs aren't related. I supposed if Gabriel listened to Reed's Berlin around 1977 when he recorded album with Bob Erzin he maybe used kinda link to Reed's song. I heard Gabriel used to improvise with lyrics a lot during recoding process.
    And he also covered "The Power of the Heart" in 2010.

5. orchidze

Thanks, extravaganza.
    It's more likely to be that meaning but then in "Caroline Says II" I guess it also could be a wordplay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.