Albert King Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SOONERFAN, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Another huge Albert fan here. I was fortunate enough to see him in the late 80s. I got into him after reading reading SRV talk about how great Albert was, and he wasn't lying!

I remember SRV talking about his playing on Bowie's Let's Dance album, and saying something along the lines of how he was trying to see how many Albert King licks he could make work in pop and dance music, and they really did work.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I really love his sound. Live Wire / Blues Power is great I also like Blues at Sunrise.

3. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

That Blues At Sunrise title has a Albert's smokin' version of the Ray Charles classic "I Believe To My Soul". He hits that one out of the park.:righton:

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I took the only chance of seeing him where i live in the late '80s and he did not have a good night.
    He moved the foldback monitors closer before he even played a note. This led to bad feedback and he refused to let anyone move them back.
    The whole thing was pointless. King stoppped playing and people walked out. Like I said, he did not have a good night.

The best part of the night was a young guy playing with his band filled in and was playing an upside down white strat. (I think) with great juicy blues licks and plenty of perfect control on a wah-wah pedal !
    Someone said it was A Kings son. Is this right and can we find his music anywhere ?

6. aural sax

aural sax Member

Albert called just about anyone he mentored on guitar his 'son'. I'm pretty sure the guy you saw was Little Jimmy King, who at the time was playing in Albert's band and played an upside down white strat like the one you mentioned. Little Jimmy King, who's real name was Manuel Gales, adopted the name Little Jimmy King after his two guitar heros, Jimi Hendrix and Albert King. He played an upside down guitar just like both of his heros did. Little Jimmy King released several CD's in the 90's on the Bullseye Label, some of them with Double Trouble, Stevie Ray Vaughn's backing band. Sadly, he passed away suddenly from a heart attack at the age of 34 in 2002. His CD's are well worth seeking out.

7. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

A good definition = soul-blues

Oh yes, I luv his music! And the music is not only blues, but includes a few other elements as well. For an example, listen to the horns on this one: Crosscut Saw. You could call his style to short of Soul-Blues, I guess. But there are many other things as well.
    He was one of the all time greatest blues guys in the world. And then what a lovely voice!
    The only thing is that I’d love to have his music a bit more rough. But then it wouldn't been Albert King.

Any tips of good sounding albums on CD?

8. aural sax

aural sax Member

If you prefer Albert with more of a raw edge, I would recommend his earlier recordings. Ace Records has a compilation called "More Big Blues", or try the Modern Records "Let's Have a Natural Ball".

His live recordings also have a bit of a rougher sound. I would recommend "Live Wire Blues Power", "Wednesday Night in San Francisco", "Thursday Night in San Francisco" and "Blues at Sunrise", all on the Stax label. The "Albert King Live" album on Tomato is also fine.

Albert definitely smoothed out his sound on his studio recordings after about 1969. He seemed to be trying to blend his trademark blues licks with the smoother Memphis soul sound. I preferred the less polished sound of his earlier recordings myself. You can't go wrong with any of the ones listed above if you prefer a rougher, less polished Albert.

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:righton:

Also one with his brothers (The Gales Brothers) Left Hand Brand

10. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

In the early 70's we had a very young aspiring promotor get the bright idea of presenting a series of "Blues For A Night" at the obscure San Gabriel (CA) Civic Auditorium. Over the course of several weeks we had front row seats to Albert King (and his V), BB King, John Lee Hooker, Etta James and seveal more just a few minutes walk from home. It was quite an education and a privilege.

11. snap

snap Forum Resident

When I listen to Mike Bloomfield's guitar on 'Super Session', I hear lots of Albert King.
    Not outright steals of licks and riffs, but technique. Esp. when they pull strings so high, they're a full step sharp (or beyond) above the usual note.

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Wow , thanks for that. After all this time i was wondering if i made half of it up.
    I have tracked the CDs down on Amazon etc.

I might even give A. King another chance.

13. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

How are the quality on these 2on1 CDs?

[​IMG]

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just picked up Wednesday Night in San Francisco. Great stuff. :agree:

15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Never seen that before. I wonder if they deleted any songs to fit them on one CD. Concorde has been doing that.

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

and don't forget freddie king! another amazing player.

17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's a great clip of albert from the 1970 fillmore east pbs tv special. interesting that it was never released considering the line up.

the byrds
    elvin bishop
    albert king
    sha na na
    van morrrsion

the allmans were there too but their portion wasn't used due to technical issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiWSrT1bDc

18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have the Modern Records "Let's Have a Natural Ball" and agree that it is first rate, and with more of a raw, immediate sound than some of his later recordings. The Atlantic albums are all fantastic, in my opinion.

I saw Albert live several times, and he ranged from very good to uttely fantastic.

In his later years, he was rather cranky onstage, and tended to go off on angry rants about people trying to videotape him from the audience and things like that. But the music always remained great.

I saw him live at Milwaukee's Summerfest in the summer of 1980, and it was one of the most exciting live blues performances I have ever seen. Maybe only John Lee Hooker in a small bar in 1976 equalled it.

19. I'm embarrassed to say that after having heard his name cited as an influence from the likes of Hendrix & SRV for the last 30+ years, I finally decided to pick up a Sundazed copy of Born Under A Bad Sign just last year. He really man-handles that guitar and how he played makes him all the more unique. He's the real deal for sure. And I can't reccomend this lp pressing enough for anyone else just getting acquainted.

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We saw him in August, 1996 at BB King's on Beale st. in Memphis. He was thoroughly blitzed but still played some amazing guitar. Behind his back, teeth, and all the usual schtick. Only problem was the sound was too loud in that club. We all had heard that he was Albert's nephew. Thanks for clearing this up.

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

No one has mentioned this one:

Blues at Sunset (Live at Wattstax & Montreux) [Live]

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I just picked up the Sundazed LP of "Born Under a Bad Sign" and though I've heard the title song many times before (on the Stax singles box) , I just realized the similarity between a guitar riff in the title song and the vocal line in the CCR song "Sinister Purpose" on their Green River album. Anyone think JC Fogerty was listening to this when he came up with that song?

Btw, this vinyl sounds real nice. My experience with Sundazed vinyls has been hit or miss, but this title is a definite HIT.

23. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If you find the Burgular LP on RSO with Clapton, GRAB IT. :cool:

24. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

You need this one too and adding some classic Otis Rush to your collection is a very good thing to do!

http://www.amazon.com/Door-Albert-King/dp/B000002OBE

[​IMG]

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I appreciate Albert very much, one of the great bluesmen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.