Album covers, mould & plastic sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've recently put my entire vinyl collection into plastic sleeves (blake sleeves with resealable flap) and am happy with them. A couple of the old secondhand records I've bought though have small orange/brown marks which I assume to be mould.

I wanted to ask if if this is indeed mould and if so, how do you know if it's "live" or historic marks? I'm guessing sealing it up in a plastic sleeve if it is "live" is not the thing to do.

Does anyone here know much about mould on record sleeves? (Not that you'd necessarily want to define yourself by that.)

2. Porkpie

Thinking about it, I'm not sure these are mold marks, maybe it's damp or water damage? They're an orange/rusty colour

3. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

If it doesn't come off with cleaning then it's debris pressed into the vinyl, kind of a tannish/light brown color that shimmers a little in the light. Either way cleaning is your friend.

4. Porkpie

It's not the vinyl that's marked it's the album cover

5. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Ah, well you might try a light spritz of Simple Green on a soft cloth to see if that displaces it, otherwise probably not worth the worry.

6. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

It is sometimes the case that people store their albums in basements where it is damp.

I wouldn't try to hard to remove the soiled part because you might further damage the cover.

Scott

7. Porkpie

I'm not going to attempt to clean it, just wondered whether or not it should be kept in one of the sealable blake sleeves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.