Album covers you don't like that much and wish another cover was originally used instead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Platterpus, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member Thread Starter

Back when I lived in St. Cloud, MN (1990-96) a friend of mine had the Edsel CD for the Count Five compilation "Psychotic Reaction." In 1994, I bought the Performance CD reissue of the whole 1966 album plus all the singles under the title of "Psychotic Reaction - The Complete Count Five." My friend and I did not know at that time that his Edsel CD was just a compilation rather than the complete Double Shot album. My CD was great with excellent sound, with great liner notes by Jud Cost and a nice looking package except for the front cover artwork. I was expecting the same artwork as my friends Edsel CD but I got this instead. While not terrible, it just didn't have that freaky/spooky sort of sick/humor vibe look to it like the artwork used on the Edsel compilation CD:

[​IMG]

I would have preferred that Double Shot had originally released this album with the vampire cover and thus the CD reissues would be the same:

[​IMG]

Now this photo is on the back insert of my Performance CD but I just feel it would have made a more interesting album cover from day one. Just my opinion of course, but the band posing as vampires in front of the old Winchester House just looks more interesting and "psychotic" like that house.

This photo would have been perfect to use for the album cover and it could have had some weird graphics on the border like the first album by the "The Music Machine - Turn On" to add to it's creepy nature:

[​IMG]

Anyone else here have an album they like that would have used different cover art from what was originally released?

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

KISS - Asylum. At the very least they could have just put the back cover art on the front.

Ivand likes this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think this photo is better than the one used for Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' band cover

[​IMG]

4. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. One of my all time favorite albums but least favorite covers. Love the photos of the band from the inner sleeve.

5. Platterpus

Looking at that album cover now, it almost seems like an Andy Warhol pop art type of look to it.

6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

ANYTHING is better than the Virgin Killer cover.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's a great album but the amateurish artwork doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]

Wayne Davis likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not a big fan of the B&N vinyl version cover of Ryan Adams' "Prisoner".

[​IMG]

I prefer the standard cover.

lesterbangs likes this.
  9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The ORIGINAL cover or this photo would've been much better than the awful one chosen for 'Live at Hollywood Bowl' CD

[​IMG]

Sean, BeatlesBop, O Don Piano and 8 others like this.
  10. Platterpus

When I lived in N.D. there was a small record store there that I frequented and knew all the staff/manager and they had the uncensored German cover hanging on the wall in plain view.

Horse Majeure likes this.
  11. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Squeeze - Domino

Surly likes this.
  12. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

"Sticky Fingers"

The last thing i wanna see on an album cover is a zipper and/or some guy's crotch up-close.

13. Platterpus

I kind of like the Spanish album cover. It's so gory.

Hammerpeg, Sean, Bill Why Man and 9 others like this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I was never fond of that 'Wall Live 1980-81' masks cover. It was plain awful

An actual photography of the historic, landmark show could've been much better. There're plenty of examples.

[​IMG]

Sean, Rich C, Deek57 and 6 others like this.
  15. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Hypocrites.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I actually hate that one even more.

Sean, Jimmy B., mikew and 1 other person like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

This is a mockup first seen in volume one of Bruce Spizer's Beatles on Capitol Records book, closely resembling what the cover of The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl album might have looked like if it were released in 1964.

[​IMG]

18. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Draw the line and night in the ruts comes to mind.

jeffd7030 and pablo fanques like this.
  19. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

20. Platterpus

It kind of makes my fingers hurt when looking at it though.

21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One of my absolute favorite Yes albums, but why, oh why was this cover used? I mean there’s enough asses on prog covers to begin with. We don’t need anymore!

22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite

utopiarun and DrBeatle like this.
  23. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

What pressing is that from...I've owned a few versions of that album and can't recall that picture being on the back of any of them!?!?

24. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn.They should done a killer psychedelic cover with a Garden of Eden setting showing a pan like individual with his panflute and his followers outside a pearly type gates gazing at the first rays of dawn.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I think that this is one of the worst covers of all time for a mainstream band, (barring the Millie Jackson covers which were deliberately shocking), I struggle to even look at it, ANYTHING would have been better than this....what were they thinking?

[​IMG]

Sean, BeatlesBop, Rich C and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.