Albums not on Spotify.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Swervedriver's Ejector Seat Reservation. The band got a bit screwed by Creation at the time of the record's release in 1995, and for some reason, that is the sole album of their's that is not now available on Spot.

A pity, as it's one of their finest.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

FWIW, anecdotally I find more stuff on Apple Music. There's still the usual holdouts (Crimson, Tool), but for whatever reason, labels' agreements for the iTunes store seem to have resulted in fewer missing things from Apple Music. For example, I can find all the Neal Morse stuff, including his Spock's Beard and Transatlantic albums on Apple, none of which are on any other streaming service (AFAIK).

And it also has Gn'R's "The Garden." :agree:

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I still don't get why Yes Talk isn't on Spotify. Is it available on other streaming services? I haven't checked Amazon yet. That's the only other streaming account I have.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I imagine the album is in some kind of rights limbo... wasn’t it released by a short lived label that folded a long time ago?

Terrapin Station likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So true about Ade! I was looking last month and the paucity of albums on Spotify by this prolific artist was alarming!

6. walrus

The label it came out on folded not long after the album came out. It's been licensed for reissue a couple times (not sure from who), but whoever owns it now doesn't have anything set up for digital distribution. Which is a bummer, since it's one of Yes' best records that no one's heard. I just added it to my Apple library myself, along with the few other missing Yes obscurities, no big deal, but it is an annoying omission when I want to send other people tracks to check out.

carlwm and Terrapin Station like this.
  7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

True. It took Spotify until 2015 to get The Beatles up and running when thousands of other rock bands already were. 2015!!! Although I think Apple may have made a deal with Apple. Not sure.

8. TwoTone25

TwoTone25 Well-Known Member

Type O Negative - Dead Again

9. walrus

The Beatles appeared on all services at the same time, IIRC, it wasn't just a deal with Spotify. But I think when dealing with iTunes, Apple Music is just part of the deal unless you're famous enough to be able to be a stickler about it, which most people aren't.

10. electricmetaphor

electricmetaphor Forum Resident

Still missing some later Nesmith solo records! And the Zwan album, which is a guilty pleasure of mine...

11. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

The last time I checked, there are no albums from Peter Gabriel or Slade on Spotify.

Most of Steve Taylor's albums aren't there.

While many of Larry Norman's essential albums are on Spotify, a lot of his albums aren't there (no albums with People, Street Level, Bootleg, Streams of White Light Into Darkness, The Story of the Tune, Tourniquet, and most surprisingly, his best-selling album In Another Land isn't there).

Most of Newsboys' albums are on Spotify, but Step Up to the Microphone is strangely missing. Their first three albums also aren't there, but that isn't as surprising, given that Peter Furler liked to pretend they didn't exist.

There may be more, but Ringo Starr's Stop and Smell the Roses, Old Wave and Y Not are also missing.

The Concert for Bangladesh isn't there either.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Added to Spotify last fall.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Peter Gabriel's catalog went up on Spotify recently.

Sean, dbone828 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I didn't think any Michael Nesmith post-Monkees was there, but they must have just added his RCA catalog - that's good.

dbone828 likes this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This is as close as thread as I could find, Keith...and I had to use Google search to find it.
    I knew there was something similar but I’d lost track of it.

What music do you love that's not on Spotify?

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I couldn't handle that constant MIA titles as I searched. But for newer releases and reissues, I think Spotify fills a need.

One needs to be able to check out and sample new music, and for that streaming seems to be the best thing out there now.

For back catalog, and for depth, no one can touch my collection!!!!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I think Joan Jett’s entire catalogue isn’t on streaming? Not that it is necessary tho...

18. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Awesome!

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Nowadays I just have a copy on a disk drive waiting for me.

Skydog7 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think I'm just too old fashioned for drives and streams ... unless we're talking about driving to a stream for a picnic :)

Mr Day, dalem5467 and sacsongs like this.
  21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Well considering it only costs ten bucks for all access to a huge majority of recorded music it's a risk easily mediated by buying an album they don't have...save the thousands of dollars for other endeavours. I like streaming and own my favorites on CD or sacd so I feel covered for two venti Starbucks mocha's a month. Good time to be a music freak.

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I came here to post Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway but I see its already been covered.

So...yeah. How 'bout dem Yankees? (I got nothin')

Sean, havenz and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am not against the idea.
    Im not bothered if folks prefer streaming, vinyl or eight track ... i was merely stating I'm not fond of the idea personally

24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

The whole catalog?

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The ECM catalog? A large amount of it. (It first appeared in versions with the crappy "Universal watermark," but in a very welcome surprise they reuploaded them without the watermark a few months later.)

McLover, ClassicalCD and Stereosound like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.