Albums Released in 1971... Celebrating Their 40th Anniversary in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Not the album, just the first single "I Fall to Pieces" (Capitol 3210) shipped in late September 1971. The album. Linda Ronstadt (SMAS 635) was shipped as a new release on January 19, 1972. We received our initial order from Capitol the following day, and had it in many of the local record shops by the 21st. Most of our out of town accounts got their shipments from us early the next week.

I set up a bunch of radio spots and newspaper ads for record stores in several states for this title, along with Leo Kottke's new LP, Greenhouse (Capitol ST-11000), which was released on the same day.

2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

You were born in 1958?

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wow. Fascinated by my own collection. Really.:laugh:

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Smack dab in the middle of the best few years ever overall for top quality music IMO. :edthumbs:

What strikes me seeing these kinds of lists all together, this was the popular stuff then--and it was quality great music. When we complain about there being no good music anymore, the argument is always "you aren't looking hard enough beyond what is popular" (which is a valid point). But back then you had great stuff that was popular, PLUS still being able to look beyond what was popular for even more great stuff. Everywhere you looked back then, quality abounds.

5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

No, 1972

6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

A year that begs the question, of myself; was this year really such a high-water mark of the album-as-art-form, or does it seem that way to me because it was a key year of my youth (1971 being the year I graduated high school and proceeded on to university)?

I suspect the former, but cannot possibly be objective. No matter: there is much to love on that list, by anybody's standards.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great list. Stairway to Heaven will be 40 years old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.