Albums ruined with fake applause.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I was just reading about the John's Children album Orgasm, which was presented to White Whale bathed in fake applause lifted from (according to Allmusic) The Beatle's A Hard Day's Night.

The other two that come immediately to mind are The Rolling Stones/Got Live If You Want It and The Yardbirds/Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page (which is live, but that crowd sure as hell isn't.)

Oh yeah, and The Kingsmen with Louie Louie. Ugh.

Why couldn't these things have been fixed when redone for cd?

2. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

The original release of Ellington at Newport.

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The Thirteenth Floor Elevators' third album, Live, is anything but. It's all studio outtakes overdubbed with extremely unconvincing fake applause.

Scope J likes this.
  4. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The Seeds Live at Merlin's Box.

Oh btw, glad the forum runs fast again, and my, isnt'it beautiful! :) :) :)

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

This is KINDA on-topic, but the added applause on "Johnny Cash At Folsom Prision" drives me absolutely nuts! Of course, most of it's real, but they used an audience loop suring the splices, and during the songs when it was felt that a sort-of "underlining" was nessessary. This wouldn't have been QUITE so bad, but they had the audience loop threaded in the wrong direction, so instead of "Clap clap clap", you hear "Phwap Phwap Phwap".

Listen for yourself. Once you notice it, it will stick out forever.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:confused:

7. Just about any applause that's fake will ruin it for me.

8. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

"Anniversary" by Split Enz. Recorded on A-Dat during their 1993 20th Anniversary tour and the audience wasn't mic'ed. Appallingly obvious loops of applause are used throughout the CD at high level.

Thankfully, the tapes were remixed last year and released as the double "ExtravagEnza' CD.

9. dnewhous

dnewhous New Member

KISS Alive? Was there anything real on that album?

dennis the menace and junk like this.
  10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yardbirds live at the Anderson Theater.

nolazep likes this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Surely you mean Alive 2? The crowd noise on that one is ridiculous!:shake:

junk and Mother like this.
  12. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

How about
    The Beach Boys Concert and Cheap Trick's "Live At Budakan"??

Chris

13. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I've always wondered about all that applause on Simon And Garfunkels Greatest His album.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Got Live *was* redone for CD, and in fact there was apparently *more* fake crowd noise. Actually, the crowd noise *may* have been real on the original LP (other than the two studio tracks, of course) - it doesn't sound too odd. The ABKCO CD/SACD version certainly has some loops in places, though, which are quite obvious.

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Duke Ellington - Jazz Party in Stereo

Elvis Presley - In Person (1969 live Vegas date - but "sweetened with extra applause overdubs). I think 1970's "On Stage" also contained "sweetening."

16. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Always liked the fake applause on various Bobby Bare albums during the 70's.

Listen To The Band is one of my favourite singles of all time. So simple but sung and played with real conviction. Of course, by then hardly anybody was listening to The Monkees. :shake: It was their loss. Still, if I had my way, the track would end without the canned applause. It's a minor point but it's always bugged me. I guess I should get over it :)

Now this last one isn't canned but I have a real problem with it. Hanson have evolved into a neat little band and I saw them give three superb shows recently, one acoustic and the others fully electric. Underneath is a fine album and shows a lot of promise. I was excited to hear that there was to be a live album. The electric shows opened with a great cover of Radiohead's Optmistic. So does Live And Electric but the screaming is at such a loud, shrill level I can't stand to listen to it. I'd love to see a waveform of that.:( It certainly wasn't like that at any of the gigs I saw.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, that's real applause from genuine live versions, the problem I always had was segueing those live cuts over the intros of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Sounds Of Silence." :wtf:

I always wondered how "live" that version of "Bye Bye Love" on Bridge Over Troubled Water actually was. It would be nice to hear "Song For The Asking" without the applause at the beginning.

18. vex

vex New Member

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills. I'd love to hear the album without the fake audience BS.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Funny to see this thread...just picked up BETTY WRIGHT LIVE the other day, and if that's not the poorest attempt at adding a "live audience" sound I'll eat my hat. Totally ruined my enjoyment of the record...what were they thinking?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

AFAIK, it isn't live at all.

21. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I'm not aware of fake applause on this one. Music overdubs, yes. But not any audience futzing. Details and sources please.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

The "In Person" album tacks a fake into and ridiculous cheers on top of the single. It's BAAAAAD.

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'd consider that more of an artistic decision on Nesmith's part, rather than someone trying to make a fake live track out of a studio performance.

Have you tried Nesmith's solo version from Loose Salute?

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the Columbia jukebox EP for Bridge Over Troubled Water. The first song on side 1 is "Song for the Asking," and according to a person who owns it (not me, alas, so I have to take his word for it), it does NOT contain the overdubbed applause.

Rojo likes this.
  25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In the wake of the success of the Johnny Cash live albums at Folsom Prison and San Quentin, Sun Records took some vintage Cash recordings and overdubbed crowd noise on them to make them sound "live." I don't remember the name(s) of the specific album(s) if there was more than one, but one of the songs with overdubbed applause, "Get Rythm" (sic), became a minor country chart hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.