Albums ruined with fake applause.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

You can tell it's going to be awful the moment you hear the "announcer" introduce him as "the first American Beatle".

2. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Can't prove it but both Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet live albums sound like they have enhanced applause and, in particular, Nine Tonight. The crowd seems way too enthusiastic at inappropriate times on that one.

Fullbug and driverdrummer like this.
  3. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Grand Funk LIVE Album! First thing that popped into my head. A smokin' LIVE performance that desperately needs the crowd noise turned down.

southamorican likes this.
  4. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Santana & Buddy Miles "Live"

Gahhhh!

I'd rather just hear the naked studio tracks as they were recorded

5. The applause at the end of Black Sabbath's "Spiral Architect" from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - not ruined, just unnecessary.

The Hud likes this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My number one Gripe :

The Ventures "On Stage" Lp. Liberty Records had the Ventures come to United Western one summer afternoon, and record one of their tried and true live sets. The Ventures just breezed thru a bunch of tracks, with absolute brilliance, precision and energy. Liberty then overdubbed fake crowd applause and fake announcers to make it seem like a real "live" album.

Even with the fake applause, the Lp is one of my favorite Ventures albums. Their playing was just incredible.

Luckily, ACE has now issued all the tracks from this Lp on CD without the applause, so we can make our own clean version .

geo50000, John Fell and MonkeyLizard like this.
  7. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl. They overdubbed so much screaming and crowd noise that you can barely hear the band.

:p

Fullbug and Slokes like this.
  8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

SLAYER - Live Undead

Sounds like they play a studiotape in a nuthouse...

9. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Red Hot Chili Peppers' Live In Hyde Park has the only known performance of Rolling Sly Stone. They could easily have mixed out the cheering, being a soundboard recording, but instead made it loud and noticeable.

10. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

That audience loop drives me nuts. You keep hearing the same whistle about every 10 seconds! And even more bizarre is that they reverse the loop about halfway through the first side.

11. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Caetano e Chico - juntos e ao vivo is a 1972 live album by Brazilian musicians Caetano Veloso and Chico Buarque. It was recorded in Salvador's Teatro Castro Alves shortly after Veloso returned from his exile in London, imposed by the ruling Brazilian military dictatorship. Because of the political connotation of the songs and the repressive nature of the regime at the time, audience shouts and clapping were made intentionally louder in some parts of the album which contained verses that the censors had vetted.

southamorican likes this.
  12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Speaking of the Monkees...
    [​IMG]

What is up with the crowd noise on this CD? As I understand it, this is from a soundboard recording (mono or close to it), but there is applause that drifts in and out throughout which is very fake sounding. Micky Dolenz did a solo live CD a couple years after this and on that one, I can hardly hear any crowd sound at all. Maybe it just wasn't audible on the original tape and whoever mixed the 2001 CD felt they needed to add some crowd noise? If so, they did a horrible job of it.

13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

So maybe it is an accurate representation of really being there.
    Brilliant! :righton:

14. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

15. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Only exceptions I'd offer are the things like "Bennie And The Jets" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" where the song is about a show and the canned applause fits into its presentation.

There's also an irony factor. Gram Parsons uses canned applause, along with canned shouts and canned smashing glasses, in his medley on GP supposedly recorded in some dive in Northern Quebec, "Cash On The Barrelhead/Hickory Wind."

16. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

:laugh:

17. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb Forum Resident

18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The fake applause on The Searchers Live at the Star Club doesn't ruin the album... it just makes it sound weird.

The tracks themselves have a great live feel and ambiance to them (with that slapback echo and all) as they were recorded at the Star Club... when it was closed in the afternoon.

The overdubbed applause just comes in so tight and cleanly at the beginning and end of each track. When listening to the middle of the tracks, you don't hear any audience at all, but then at the end of the track, the roar of a big crowd.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on the ACE CD! What is the name of it?

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Agreed, and it is from a complete 12 track fake live album, first released 30+ years later on a Bear Family CD - 'Promises'

22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

And to think, I'd been seeking out that CD under the assumption those dozen tracks were genuine live performances. Thanks for the heads-up.

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Oh ? Bugger ! I didn't know that. Is that the 'In the Volcano' album ? I guess there is only one right ?

24. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Yup...

For shame...

FOR SHAAAME!!!

E.Baba likes this.
  25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Peggy Lee & George Shearing's Beauty and the Beat! 1959 Capitol Records.

Luckily in 2003 the original tapes were remixed and the overdubbed spoken intros, applause and echo were removed.

"This album was originally released with overdubbed applause and background ambiance and issued as recorded at the 1959 Miami Disc Jockey's Convention. It was actually recorded in the studio shortly before or after the actual aooearance and is presented here in its pure state with greatly improved fidelity."

Don't get me wrong the original LP/original CDs are fun to listen to, but the Capitol Jazz CD is the best (also added a few extra songs from the sessions).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.