Albums that are relationship makers or breakers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobdylansbarber, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdylansbarber

bobdylansbarber Ian Thread Starter

When I first met my wife, I recall scrabbling in the glove compartment of her car for something to play. I pulled out cassettes of Lou Reed's Transformer and Neil Young After the Goldrush. I knew then she was the woman for me.

However, what if it'd been a Ted Nugent album or a post-Gabriel Genesis one I'd pulled out? I couldn't have turned a blind eye (or ear) to those.

So in a hypothetical situation (it needn't be a romantic encounter) what would recommend a person to you, and what would present an insurmountable obstacle?

NB - this is a thread for a bit of fun, so anyone who would think to reply 'I don't care to comment on such childishness/I can see beyond musical taste/I'd rather talk about the Beatles etc ' please don't bother. ;-)

2. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Not quite the same thing, but I do like this story. An ex-girlfriend of mine (we were split up a few years at the time) bought me a Depeche Mode DVD for my birthday one year. I already had it. She was a fan too, so she decided to keep it for herself and said we could go to HMV and I could pick out something else that I wanted, albeit with this caveat: "... but not Phil Collins or anything like that", because she didn't want to go up to the counter with something she would find embarrassing. We go in and have a look around and I (quite genuinely) choose Genesis Live Over Europe 2007 on CD. The look on her face.

3. bobdylansbarber

hahaha

I confess there were too Dire Straits and a Billy Joel tapes in that glove box. I simply refused to every acknowledge they existed. There are some compromises you can make yes? ;-)

deredordica, NYMets41 and CBackley like this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

My wife and I were able to bond over the Stones, but she had no problem with Genesis, either- to the point of choosing "Follow You, Follow Me" as our wedding song:righton:

Sammy Waslow and bobdylansbarber like this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Albums that were a dealmaker.......All of them!
    Please allow me to introduce my wife"s likes and tastes.
    Not being from the Western World my wife knew nothing of rock music nor pop culture when we first met.
    Extremely fortuitously my wife to be happened to like all my 550 Stones lps which are on continuous rotation. A close friend explained to her first that for her husband to be, this band were a "Way of life" and in affect she was marrying motr than just me. Satisfaction aside the clincher was when she saw Mick in the Shine A Light DVD. She may be part of a select handful of people across the globe that can actually say that they have only ever been to ONE rock concert and that it was The Rolling Stones!
    Disclaimer: Ok she does not like On Their Satanic Majesties Request lp.

Nick Dunning and CBackley like this.
  6. bobdylansbarber

you are living the dream my friend!

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. prunus-

prunus- Forum Resident

My ex girlfriend was a diehart UB40 fan,. and I had a 5 cd changer at that time.

A combination from hell ,..... :bone: :sweating:

8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

When my wife and I were dating, we both liked a lot of the same music, but interestingly we didn't have any of the same albums (although we did have some albums by some of the same artists). When we got married, we simply blended our collections. The thing is that I like everything she likes, but she only likes SOME of the things that I like. I have 56 Johnny Cash albums that I can only listen to when she's not around, but we make it work. We've been married for 43 years.

9. All Down The Line

Ironically and fitting with this post today is actually our 6th wedding anniversary and Dandelion was one of our Wedding Songs.

bobdylansbarber and ohnothimagen like this.
  10. ohnothimagen

Congrats- last Saturday was my sixth anniversary...I remember on our first date explaining to my future wife the whole deal with the "inspiration" credits on Black And Blue which she never understood. When she told me that was her favourite Stones album I knew I wasn't dealing with some fair weather Stones fan, definitely a keeper:righton:

CBackley and All Down The Line like this.
  11. All Down The Line

12. All Down The Line

Sweet Sir, I love Black and Blue!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

One of the biggest rows my ex and I had (at least not fuelled by mutual infidelity and other frustrations) was when I gifted the six ABBA LPs I somehow acquired to a friend, only to be told that if they left the house, she would also be going.

When we split up, I threw those albums in the bin. I absolutely hate ABBA.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like a lot of different music, so it can be hard on them. I dont compromise on music.
    My ex-wife didnt like dylan or zappa, but i could live with that.
    My wife now has introduced me to some stuff i didn't know, bright eyes and wilco, and i like them both.
    She doesnt really understand my rotations .. for example, about a month ago dylan had the floor for a week or two, then cold chisel had the floor for a week or two. It's just how i do.... last week was zappa week, maybe this week too.....
    Frankly if music will make a woman go .... goodbye :wave:

15. All Down The Line

Quite possibly but she does like a lot of movie time with no records plus i have plenty of ahem assigned chores with 3 little ones.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  16. bobdylansbarber

hehe - loving these reflections. Mind you, I can't help thinking some of our discussion around this topic should be done sat in a circle in a church basement. But it does show (ridiculously) seriously we take our sounds. Despite my wife's apparent good taste, I quickly realized that my Beefheart, Zappa, Fall and the 'tuneless harmonica' (her words not mine) element of my beloved Dylan's oeuvre could only played when herself was out of hearing, as these are 'a bloody racket'. There have been times when I've wondered if that Neil Young cassette was actually hers...

NYMets41 likes this.
  17. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

When I first met my wife she casually mentioned “Royal Albert Hall” from Dylan bootlegs. (Years ago, before official releases).

It sealed the deal.

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Where are such women?

NYMets41, ohnothimagen and oneslip17 like this.
  19. bobdylansbarber

I'm not sure I could handle the competition from such a woman. I'd have nothing left to mansplain to her...

NYMets41 and JoeF. like this.
  20. All Down The Line

As it should.

NYMets41 likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

Married!

NYMets41 likes this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

When it becomes clear that breakup time is near, I like to accelerate the process with this little go-to:

[​IMG]

100% success rate, guaranteed.

23. ohnothimagen

Oh, they're out there...some of us just got lucky, I s'pose.
    Some of Crimson's stuff would undoubtedly send my wife screaming from the room but she can handle Red, and even seemed to like some of it...

gd0 likes this.
  24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Well I was going with this girl, you see... pretty seriously, too. She was cute.

My tastes at the time were Peter Gabriel, Iggy, and Bowie. She liked Styx (my most reviled band). Never was a problem. At all.

deredordica likes this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

My parents often mention that they listened to Simply Red's first two LPs a lot when they were dating. It's significant cause they've otherwise had no interest in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.