Albums that are relationship makers or breakers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobdylansbarber, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I confess I once declined to ask a woman out on a second date because, during the first date, she asked if I knew "that song 'Cat's in the Cradle' by Ugly Kid Joe". (No, of course that wasn't the only reason...but it was a pretty clear sign that we were on different wavelengths.)

Then there was also the ex who never could accept that I didn't like Alanis Morrisette because she couldn't carry a tune in a bucket - she (the ex) was always absolutely convinced that I felt threatened by her cutting-edge feminist lyrics. Although I can agree to disagree about musical tastes, if I were single now, that kind of attitude would be a deal breaker. It was a painfully clear sign both that she didn't trust me, and that she really didn't know me very well. (Mind you, I once gave her a Liz Phair CD for her birthday and she never even unwrapped it!)

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Modern country albums would be a relationship breaker for me. Life is short and unpredictable. Each moment should be lived to its fullest and that means eliminating the sonic stressors and toxins. Speaking from experience, no woman is worth being subjected to modern country, pop country or bro country garbage. Unless I'm being held at gunpoint, no playing country songs about dirt roads, sexy tractors, rednecks on beaches, pickup trucks or a human's rear-end.

3. bobdylansbarber

bobdylansbarber Ian Thread Starter

4. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

She indulges me patiently.

In college, she was 4.0 cum

I wasn’t.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I dated a woman who literally did not have a single album in her collection that I would like. That should have been a warning sign from the get-go.

I later dated a woman who had an original copy of Les Baxter's Hell's Belles, and I knew that I could not afford to screw this one up. I married her.

melstapler, deredordica and NYMets41 like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That makes her a keeper! ;)

melstapler likes this.
  7. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

The One That Got Away had a lot of 4AD albums in her collection.

8. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

In college in the fall of 1975, met a woman who knew her music, had worked in a record department in a big box store
    She had read about Bruce in Time/Newsweek but had not heard Born to Run. I asked her if she wanted to hear it up inMy dorm room. Have been together since:frog:

melstapler likes this.
  9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I've known two women who were Captain Beefheart fans. They were both incredible people in their 20s, and now in their 60s they still are. And they still listen to Beefheart.

Unfortunately, neither married me.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Tons of sobs, que sera.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.