Albums that are so bad... yet you can't stop listening to them!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Anything by Klaus Nomi--Eclipsed is a well-compiled anthology that is in print. This does not fit any resonable definition of "good" but it's still tons of fun to listen to!:laugh:

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I think anything by Nina Hagen might fit that bill too!

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Some Gave All is Billy Ray's debut CD title.

4. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

(does a bit of Googling)

You're right, my bad. And yep, Mark was actually born in the UK.

But that doesn't make the record sound any less ridiculous :)

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

So you wouldn't be a fan of Live & Sleazy huh?? ;) I recall one magazine had a "thing" about the Village People...lead singer Victor Willis in particular. But they actually liked the "Sleazy" disc of that 2-LP set since Nick Simpson (Valerie's brother) took over lead vocal duties. I did get L&S as a gift, so I technically didn't buy it...but I do have good 12" single remixes of "YMCA", "Macho Man" and "In The Navy". And I agree...I can only take so much "silly camp" myself. ;)

6. Graham Start

The Village People's debut wasn't really camp. Jacques Morali was simply writing music specifically for a gay audience. Although still shrouded in double-entendres and slang of the day (hint: the line "Someone might grab you, someone might stab you" isn't warning you about being mugged and knifed), it was as out as music could be at the time. Aimed strictly at the clubgoing audience, it sold an astonishing 500,000 copies despite not getting any conventional promotion. That was the point at which Morali reached for the top 40, settled on a proper "group", and made the whole thing very tongue-in-cheek. Thus came "Macho Man", and the rest is history...

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And amazingly, was issued on vinyl in.....England!:eek:

Another one of the little mysteries of collecting life....

ED:cool:

8. -=Rudy=-

MY OH MY isn't that a big 12" drink coaster you can buy in England! :laugh: :winkgrin:

9. -=Rudy=-

How many albums did they have then, under the original lineup? I'm going to guess...four? (If you count Live & Sleazy as their last album with the original lineup on the Live disc.) I know they had one after L&S, titled something like Can't Stop The Music.

10. stever

stever Senior Member

There were some 80s band that were so bad I actually liked some of their songs: Taco (Puttin on the Ritz), After the Fire (Der Kommisar), Night Ranger. Wait ... on second thought :hurlleft:

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

For me, a LOT of 80s albums fall into this category! There's just too many to mention, and i've gotta go now. I'll be back later today.

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

William Shatner's TRANSFORMED MAN comes to mind. The cult classic includes his, ahem, *interpretation* of "Mr. Tambourine Man", "It Was a Very Good Year", "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds", and others.

Jim W.

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

OK, here's one I bought for a quarter: Klaatu's first album! Gotta love "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" :)

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

that's not a bad album!!!!!
    you think it's bad?:confused:

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Well, I actually don't think it's bad, since I love it; but I feel that there's something goopilly crass about it which makes me think maybe I shouldn't. Sorta like I think I should think it's bad! I defend it all the time, actually....

16. Graham Start

- Self-titled debut, all studio musicians, line-up not formalized
    - Macho Man
    - Cruisin'
    - Go West
    - Live and Sleazy (Victor Willis leaves, first album with Ray Simpson)
    - Can't Stop The Music OST
    - Renaissance (cowboy Randy Jones replaced by Jeff Olson)
    - In The Street (AKA Fox On The Box) -- I think Victor Willis briefly reappears on this disc
    - Sex Over The Phone

Heaps of compilations and remix albums have appeared since. They've done the odd single or so after Sex Over The Phone, however this was without Jacques Morali.

Other pointless VP trivia:

Victor Willis was married to Phylicia Rashad (nee Allen) while he was in VP. That's right, he's not gay. However, he has become a total drug casualty since, being homeless and in trouble with the law.

Jacques died in 1992.

Original "Leatherman" Glenn Hughes passed away from lung cancer in 2001.

The others are all still alive.

17. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

A group called Vanilla Fudge had an album out years ago.

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Also, it was issued on vinyl in the US through Columbia House, one of their last vinyl LPs before they discontinued making new ones.

19. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

After The Fire I can certainly agree with. Der Kommisar is best heard in its original German by the late, great Falco (along with the cheesy video of him singing in front of a screen with a police car on it).

Cliff

20. Ian

Ian Active Member

One fave of mine has always been the album "Dirty Diamonds" by New Jersey (?) headbangers Diamond Reo. Musically it isn't half bad, in fact they're pretty good... Until the lyrics start up. Then it's a downright hoot. 1/2 of the lyrics are unintelligable the rest don't make sense. The lone ballad on the album is an outright ripoff of Jeff Becks version of "Shapes of Things" (sans midsong freakout). Never available on CD you'll have to scour the used LP bins.

You know, you just can't have a bad song/album thread without mentioning the mother of all bad music: Bobby Goldsboro "Honey"... 'Nuff said

21. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I have to agree wholeheartedly, that album was crap. But I can't be mad at Billy Ray. I got some seriously large bonus checks thanks to the awesome sales of that album.:D

22. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

Does this album contain his country hit "Say You'll Stay Until Tommorow"? Talk about oversinging......

23. Mr 5D

Mr 5D New Member

Not an album but the song Afternoon Delight by the Starlight something something......band. I really like it but at the same time i cant help thinking it's dodgy.

24. BradOlson

Starland Vocal Band being the band

25. BradOlson

I have Say You'll Stay Until Tomorrow on the Hard To Find 45s on CD country disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.