Albums that became heralded as masterpieces years after release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

That's interesting to hear. I was only a small child when the album came out, though. Don't think I had ever heard the album mentioned until the 00s.

2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Raw Power

3. I don't know if it's ever been declared a masterpiece in the vein of something like Abbey Road, but certainly it's considered a classic McCartney album. Whereas, when it came out, it got panned everywhere. I recall one review describing it as "more 'lame' than 'lamb'," and another that claimed that it, in and of itself, was justification enough for Lennon's "How Do You Sleep?"

The fact is, there was a period in the early '70s when it was pretty much compulsory to prove you were "with it" by ridiculing everything McCartney did after the Beatles breakup. It was only after Band On The Run that Macca became socially-acceptable to praise, and it was also about that time that Ram's reputation began to grow.

snowman872 and gja586 like this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow

5. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

I think "Vampire Blues" (side 2, track 1) is the weakest song on the album, but the three tracks after it, to close the album, are all quite good, imho. I think that the critical reevaluation of On the Beach is looking at the whole thing.

6. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

[​IMG]

BadJack and DJ LX like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It is? I thought it was mostly the backstory about mountains of coke and breakups and everyone screwing everyone that gets people salivating for some reason.

starduster likes this.
  8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska was well received but its status grew over time. It is the lone record in Bruce's catalog that non-fans will praise. It, like Exile, tended to inspire a deeper appreciation over time.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL. Really? A Masterpiece?

Come on, its still a patchy album at best that is still considered the weakest Doors album by far and will be forever. No way even the biggest Doors fan could even begin to make an argument for it being a masterpiece.

bopdd, Siegmund and jimmydean like this.
  10. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

Really.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You are aware that 'heralded as a masterpiece' is very different to you liking it yourself, just checking nothing has been lost in translation?

Therefore can you provide links to at least three recent (last 10 years) reviews which rate it as 5/5 or 10/10? BTW a review is not a customer review on Amazon but by an actual magazine or website.

12. anastasios

counting the stars of the reviews is a way but not the only one .you have to see more .,other bands and artist who had an impact in their work, experts opinion,musician opinions etc.soft parade present a new way of expression jazz rock and pop music.btw is your humor black? bad ? in your text or this is the way to address to other people.

snowman872 likes this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm with Jim on this one. The Soft Parade is widely viewed as the weakest of the original Morrison Doors albums. I don't doubt that there may be some fans out there who champion it, but that doesn't mean that it's considered to be some kind of masterpiece.

This may not count as irrefutable empirical evidence, but here's the Rate Your Music page for the Doors, drawn from thousands of fan ratings. The Soft Parade is ranked well below the others.

The Doors discography

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Jim B. likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

English is obviously not your first language so I was checking you had not misunderstood the question.

OK then, links to some of these 'expert opinions' please.

(BTW, I just watched a new documentary on Sky Arts on the Doors, and the consensus from those writers featured is still that it was the low point, and Morrison Hotel was a return to form.)

15. anastasios

You are right it is not, you doing much better now.we can communicate.
    Give me some time and i' ll provide you some interesting links.

Jim B. likes this.
  16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Kinks Muswell Hillbillies

Davmoco, oboogie and Raving Russell like this.
  17. [​IMG]
    ?

timind likes this.
  18. Prockrog

Prockrog Well-Known Member

Aren't all great albums like that? They sound so different and alien when first released, but then creeps up on you as time goes by until they suddenly whack you dizzy. For me, the albums I instantly love usually ends up in the "never to be played again" pile.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not in the UK at least where it was released to extremely positive reviews everywhere and it was pretty widely accepted to be a classic. I remember it was one of those albums where it didn't matter what you normally listened to it was an album to buy whatever.

HenryFly, Pancat and ddrexj like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin III used to get lost in the shuffle between I, II, IV and then more so after HOTH and PG.
    Now III is far more appreciated as a classic.

Def Leppard Hysteria was initially a huge disappointment in comparison to Pyromania but after a year of touring and releasing videos, the album finally skyrocketed with the single Pour Some Sugar On Me and everyone forgave their nearly 4 year absence and chalked it up to them making the perfect Pop/Metal album.

The Who Qudrophenia was well received but took decades to overtake Tommy as their best concept.

21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

blur blur
    vannier: L'Enfant assassin des mouches

22. Luckily have the internet; NME backs the claim up:
    When Critics Get It Wrong - Classic albums that were initially slated - NME
    Lots of ablums mentioned on this thread on this list as well.

"Creep" won me over immediately; remember were i was & who i was w/when 1st heard on the FM.
    Will agree it's a bit of a stretch.

Got to see the band at a "Live 105" KMEL free show in Golden Gate Park & talked w/the late great Jennifer Miro of "The Nuns".
    Beautiful day!

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

VU&Nico took about ten years to gain favour.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

How about Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited?
    That album was recorded 2 days after his folk world shattering dropping of the A-Bomb by picking up an electric guitar at the NewPort festival? That album was panned by his fans as a sellout to rock and roll, yet years later Bruce Springsteen credits that album as one that influenced him the most. Today it's considered a classic masterpiece and ranked #4 on Rolling Stone's top 500 all time rock albums...

ponkine, timind and Gramps Tom like this.
  25. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

probably due to the fact the rock as a genre is growing older and there is now a confirmed and growing body of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.