Albums that made you say WTF when you first heard them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mesfen, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white moses

white moses New Member

You guys have never heard of them but:

Medeski Martin and Wood
    Combustication

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ring modulation. :righton:

Former Scientist likes this.
  3. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Wtf good..Son Volt - trace
    Wtf bad.. Flaming Lips - The Terror

Zeki likes this.
  4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Not an album, but the first time I saw the Cowboy Junkies live, I was blown away. As much as I like their albums, they don't come close to live shows. More so that any other band I've seen.

6. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

If I may, I'll expand on that-Love You and SIP.

Aftermath likes this.
  7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Agree - walked into a record store in Chicago on Ashland Ave. while in college in '78 and they were playing it. Instantly bought it based on hearing Eddie's guitar work. Really blown away.

Clanceman likes this.
  8. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Age of Adz (Sufjan Stevens).
    Was not sure if it was love or hate (it was love).
    Another galaxy from Illinoise.

October Man and dylankicks like this.
  9. spiral sea

spiral sea Well-Known Member

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

love the band and all their other albums but still don't "get" this one.

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Robert Plant: Shaken N Stirred. I could not believe what I was hearing when I purchased this album upon it's release. It did eventually grow on me though and I love it to this day.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

This!

12. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Wondermints - "Mind If We Make Love to You" (discovered them as a result of the Brian Wilson connection)

Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories" (was not into them at all prior to their most recent album, although vaguely familiar due to my daughter being into EDM)

Springsteen - "Born to Run" (senior year of high school; was not aware of him until that album)

The Beatles - "With the Beatles" (already knew the songs, but at the age of 12 or so, the mystery of my first "import" album blew me away)

Cheap Trick - "In Color" (discovered the joys of "power pop", which was all the rage in the late 70's)

Devo - "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!" (really a WTF moment when I first heard it, but really grew to like the album)

Clanceman likes this.
  13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

MC5 Back In The USA - Bought the CD expecting to kick out the jams and got a tin can version of tutti frutti instead. Love the album now but the recording sounded so weak at first.

14. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Not an album specific WTF, but around the age of 13, the discovery of bootlegs was a real WTF.

Bizarre Bazaar was giant indoor mall in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago back in the late 60's and 70's that featured a ton of head shop type stuff. Included was a large wall full of what must have been the first bootleg albums available. Nothing fancy or high tech; just plain white album jackets with a piece of colored paper on the front with the title, artist, and songs. Still have some of the Beatle ones in my collection. Seemed a bit "dangerous" or "cutting edge" to me at the time.

15. Starsailor was one for me 25 years ago and has since become one of my most-listened to albums.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Nilsson - ***** Cats

The opening verse of 'Many Rivers to Cross' sounded like Harry's channeling of Wild Man Fischer....and perhaps he was.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. John54

John54 Senior Member

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

Totally too wack for my 15-year-old self. Eventually I came around, to some extent. Wee Tam is far more accessible though.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I could think of quite a few, but Low by David Bowie...holy crap. It expanded my musical horizons ten-fold. First time I had ever heard something so strange (that I had actually really enjoyed). Made me fully appreciate experimental and ambient music and if it weren't for this album, I probably would never had gotten into krautrock either.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Diamond Dog likes this.
  19. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I was about 14 or 15 and I talked my dad to take me and my friend Hubbard down to the New York Auto Show in the NY Colisseum on Columbus Circle (now the site of Time Warner's HQ). Off to one side of one of the car exhibits was a room with a light show and We're Only In It For The Money playing. Definite WTF moment. I don't remember how I knew that this was what they were playing, but I took a handful of quarters out of my bank and bought the thing the next time I was at the store. Changed my life! Lemme takaminnit ta tell you my plan. Lemme take a minnit to tell who I am. If it doesn't show, think you better go, I'm another person!

Runners up: Two Virgins (bought at some place on pre-Guiliani 42nd Street next to a strip joint) or It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest by the Fugs. Or maybe Have a Marijuana by David Peel and the Lower East Side.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  20. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Oingo Boingo - Good For Your Soul

The first WTF was listening to it.

The second WTF was my Dad saying he loved it.

The third WTF was when I saw Danny Elfman's name on the soundtrack for Beetlejuice (which I described at the time as an Oingo Boingo movie.)

The fourth WTF was moving to Japan, then moving back to the States six years later to discover that people (almost) young enough to be my kids worshipped the band, and looked at me with a combination of amazement and jealousy when I told them I had seen them live.

rodentdog likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Freak Out.

greenwichsteve likes this.
  22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

'Contact High With The Godz'

major WTF album

23. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Yes- Close To The Edge [at the age of 11].. If you've been raised on the Beatles (and nothing wrong with that) it was........quite an eye-opener.

zen likes this.
  24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

WTF on my first listening to:

The debut album from Metal Church

"Many, many years ago on a distant shore
    Men did gather secretly..."

White Zombie's La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One

"Meanwhile, behind the façade of this innocent-looking bookstore"...

25. Col

Col Forum Resident

Time-Bowie.I was very young!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.