Albums that need remastering! Now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

RHCPs I'm With You - Wonderfully recorded and performed. Unlistenable.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Rykos are for you! Barely any bass to be found! :)

3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The River could use the same treatment. Remix, remaster, the works.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I obviously want bass, just not bloated bass...:)

George P and Man at C&A like this.
  5. SoundDoctor

Everything Vlado Meller has touched.

djnathan7 likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know, I wasn't being serious. I have a set of the Rykos (well the EMI UK versions of them) and they are incredibly thin sounding compared to the RCA original vinyl. An exception is The Man Who Sold The World, but there was always a ton of bass on that record anyway.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Vlado Meller did the original mastering (only mastering to my knowledge) of Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Truth
    Beckola
    Beck, Bogert, Appice

TimB and Chemically altered like this.
  9. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I downloaded on iTunes some classic Def Leppard and the tracks are totally unlistenable. They have the most extreme bizarre EQ I've ever heard.

I "remastered" them myself with my DAW and they are far, far, far better sounding now.

10. SoundDoctor

I know you were joking.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I have to laugh. Not only have we bought into the notion that we should re-purchase albums we already own again and again, we also clamor for them when they dont arrive in a timely manner. I picture the hazing scene in Animal House. "Thank you sir! May I have another?!"

Crimson jon likes this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I agree! I have never liked the mix on that record and it is one of my favorites.

RickH likes this.
  13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

A nice prominent low-end on this album.

skisdlimit, thxphotog and Dorian75 like this.
  15. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Perhaps you're right; I'm no expert. But I note that this is the first time I've ever heard anyone attribute Magic's crappy sound to the mixing and not the mastering. Perhaps it needs a re-do on both. :shrug:

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That was done by Classic Records for the most part.

17. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I take what the artists say about the sound of early albums with a grain of salt. The last few Testament records are sonic disasters. Brotherhood and Dark Roots have a DR of 6, Formation tops out at 7. The rest of the catalog after Souls of Black is no great shakes either. If they really cared about the "sound" of the record they wouldn't be brickwalling and compressing them to death or recording them entirely through Pro Tools.

They also re-recorded those songs because they don't have any control over the masters and hardly make any money off of the original recordings. Twisted Sister said they hated the sound of Stay Hungry when they re-recorded it. Then when the original got released they talked about how much they loved the original album.

mertoo likes this.
  18. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

You should feel sorry for a sap like me, who had everything on vinyl in the 70s, then bought the catalog when it came out on CD in the 80s. Those CDs are among the worst in my collection, if only because of the dismally low levels.

Chemically altered likes this.
  19. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I happen to like the '80s Zeppelin discs. The levels don't seem that low to me. LZ II, for example, peaks at 97%. All of the dynamic range is left intact. Besides, there's no reason to make a CD too loud. That's what volume controls are for. Crank it up!

Plan9 and George P like this.
  20. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

I know, the levels seem low only in comparison/because of the loudness wars. Still, it's jarring when it comes up after a more recently released CD. I'd like to compare the 2014 CD remaster of Zep II with the one I have. But I'm not going to buy it for a third time.

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Honestly, their entire output between 1989 and 2015 needs a remastering. Loud, compressed and even unlistenable thru cellphone and heaphones.

djoseph56 and George P like this.
  22. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I have a Japanese edition (digipak) that actually sounds gorgeous.

23. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I'm not really defending the sound of the modern records either. They're not my favourite sounding metal records at all. Practice What You Preach and The Ritual are the only two that sound decent enough to me. After that, The Gathering is probably their best sounding metal release, and that was 1999. It's unfortunate that they haven't been able to have truly good sounding records for most of their career. A lot of metal bands suffer the same circumstances.

Sentient Six likes this.
  24. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

The Ritual is probably my favorite sounding album for them (and one of my favorite albums by them). I like the recent remaster for The Gathering, although I'm not sure if it's the same remaster from 2007 on Prosthetic that was just brought forward as I didn't buy it.

I often wonder why metal bands still have albums mastered with low DR because it's not like they are going to get airplay on top 40 radio. It's most likely something that the label is doing and the band doesn't really hear it after they've listened to the original mix in the studio. Then again, it's probably that they are equating "loud" with the genre, which is unfortunate.

Ristifer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.