Albums that were buried by their creators or label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lugnut2099, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure there's been a thread about this in the past but couldn't seem to come up with much search-wise, so here we go again - what are some interesting examples of records that the band, label, management, whatever tried to bury and distance themselves from right from the moment of release?

My example, since I've been discussing them quite a bit in the wake of the release of their new album, would be KISS's 1997 Carnival of Souls album, the last to be recorded by the Kulick/Singer version of the lineup before the originals reunion happened. The album was worked on in some degree or another from late in 1993 to early in 1996, but once the reunion tour happened they were left with a record from a lineup that no longer existed and perhaps also now sounded dated due to its heavy "grunge" influence.

When it finally got released in late October of 1997, they threw away the original planned cover art and replaced it with a generic photo that made the record look like a bootleg and did absolutely nothing to promote it or even acknowledge its existence - perhaps a huge mistake since its lone single actually fared rather well in radio play and Mainstream Rock charts.

So what other examples do we have of something like this?

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well, John Fogerty allegedly destroyed the tapes for his second solo album for Asylum Records, 1976's HOODOO. There was a cover designed and a single had already been released ...

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Deep Purple (1969)

Tetragrammaton's financial problems were partially to blame (promotion was lacklustre), but also the change of lineup (musical direction)
    left this wonderful album out in the cold.

4. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Capitol famously tried to bury Pet Sounds by issuing the Beach Boys' first greatest hits album at around the same time.

Folknik likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Not exactly... Capitol panicked when the album failed to sell as well as expected.

7. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

In two weeks.. Capitol could of waited or promoted the album better and longer. Capitols fault for the most part. IMHO. John M.:wave::nauga:

Folknik and wayneklein like this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

And a few years later, Warner would panic over Carl & The Passions, and release it in the US only as the SECOND DISC of a twofer with Pet Sounds.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Melanie's 1976 album Photograph was deleted by Atlantic very shortly after release. It was reissued on Rhino Handmade a few years ago. Great album.

Folknik, Pizza and craigh like this.
  10. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

It used to happen all the time. I have forgotten all the artists, but it was common for sales reps to tell us not to order certain CDs because the label wasn't going to promote them. They knew they were never going earn the advance back so they weren't even going to try to sell them. Nowadays, those CDs wouldn't even get recorded.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Bob Seger has two. Brand New Morning and the Noah LPs.

12. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

wasn't there issues badfinger and thir label with the album being pulled

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've been involved with records that were not released. Some were aced before they were finished, but sometimes they were pulled after being completed and promoted.

As an example, we recorded an album with Maureen McGovern in 1978 chock full of top LA players. I thought the record was really nice, but at the last minute it was cancelled. I believe it was somewhat political and I'll probably never know the whole story, but it was never released and that was a real bummer for me as I had done quite a bit of work on it, including the mastering.

Pizza likes this.
  14. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Photograph is a great record,and should have put Melanie back in the upper reaches of the charts. But you just don't anger the label execs without suffering the consequences. The commercial failure of Photograph effective ended Melanie's chances to ever have the big comeback.

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Awesome album!:righton:
    I never understood why they did that to her. I'm very grateful for the Rhino release. I wish they'd release Madrugada and Phonogenic.

craigh likes this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Didn't Garth Brooks actually physically bury the master tape of his Hits album underneath his star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame?

17. mintcake!

mintcake! Forum Resident

Self's Ornament & Crime got squashed when Uni took over Dreamworks, and it is just fantastic. The tracks made it onto YouTube somehow - they're well worth a listen.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, her husband / manager Peter was both her biggest advocate and the biggest reason the industry turned their back on her. He was impossible.

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I would love to have As I See It Now and Sunset & Other Beginning as well. She had a really nice run of studio albums that got little exposure. And there are many unreleased recordings from that era as well.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Wasn't there an album called: This Is Howlin’ Wolf’s New Album. He Doesn’t Like it. He Didn’t Like His Electric Guitar At First Either.

Not sure if Wolf really hated it, or if it was just a gimmick by Chess Records. Arnie

21. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Cactus World News - No Shelter.

Buried by the label, went unreleased until the early 00's I believe.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes he did.

23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

It's really too bad Peter didn't just handle the production and allow her to have an outside manager.

24. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Their 1974 album "Wish You Were Here" was pulled off shelves a few weeks after release due to a dispute between the band's management and Warner Brothers. The band recorded one more album later that year, and it was never released until 2000.

Folknik likes this.
  25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Wouldn't have Garth Brooks had to practically excavate under his Walk Of Fame star to bury his greatest hits mastertape under it? It is a sidewalk in the middle of Hollywood! That seems rather odd to do something like that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.