Albums that were buried by their creators or label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lugnut2099, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

My friend the search engine tells me nobody's mentioned Prince in the previous eight pages, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Album_(Prince_album)

He did, of course, dig it back up again later...

2. More than likely. I certainly remember seeing it in the stores, but given that Kiss were on the commercial outs and a lot of people didn't like his first solo album at all, I can't see how it would've been anything other than a stiff. Plus, it looked more than a little like a disco album.

3. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Shame he hasn't released anything in 10 years, just an amazing producer and a pretty good songwriter too.

Also, Can - Delay 1968
    Was intended as their first album, but they released Monster Movie instead.

4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Ditto. :righton:

5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Bob Seger is the undertaker of his early discography.

6. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Duran Duran: "Reportage". The album was scrapped and instead they started to work on "Red carpet massace"

Elvis Presley
    : "Standing room only", a 1972 album with live recordings from Las Vegas 1972 one one side and studio cuts recorded i Hollywood, march 1972. The idea was scrapped and instead, they released his Madison square garden live album. The studio cuts was used on different albums/singles, but the live cuts was mostly released after his death.

Kraftwerk: Techno pop was planned to be released in 1983 if I´m not mistaken. Some tracks were re-recorded and used on Electric café from 1986.

ELO: "Secret messages" from 1983 was orginally planned as a double album. Some tracks have been released as B-sides and so on over the years, but "Beatles forever" is still unreleased.

7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

8. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I like Swing to the Right, but I thought Deface The Music was not a good concept to follow up the near break through album. But then Todd never followed anyone else's idea of what he should do.

9. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Swing To The Right was the last Bearsville Utopia album - and that's because it was the end of the label itself.

But, that was hardly the end of Utopia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Billy Joel with Cold Spring Harbor. He actively dissuades people from buying that record.

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The second Sinatra/Jobim album. A test pressing of the LP was made, and 8-track tapes actually shipped. A few tapes even sold before the title was canceled. Unsold 8-tracks were recalled and destroyed.

12. The first example that I thought of, but there are more unreleased outtakes than just Beatles Forever...

After All was originally a 40-second introduction piece that crossfaded into Hello My Old Friend (by the use of a short "wind" section, or so I've been told). This mix remain officially unavailable, though it's possible to recreate easily enough.

As for Hello My Old Friend, the only released version (on the Afterglow boxed set) is faded out just before the "welcome to the show" ending, which was later used for Rock 'N' Roll Is King following the album's reduction to a single disc.

Finally, it's believed that Danger Ahead may have been slightly different as well, plus the album cover was changed - a promotional poster found its way out, and I can only hope the rumoured 30th anniversary edition restores this element, too.

13. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

These 2 and "Back in '72" were the first that sprung to my mind. I still can't believe that Smokin OPs is available.

Pantera buried it's first 4 releases once "Cowboys from Hell" hit.

14. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

One of the tracks is available for download at the Pop Geek Heaven website...sounded pretty good!

http://www.popgeekheaven.com/music-discovery/elton-duck-surprise-box-48

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Surprised that "David" the great unreleased David Ruffin album hasn't been mentioned yet.

Another is the last and best Brinsley Schwarz album. That still has not gotten a proper label reissue and is only available on CDR from Ian Gomm. IMO is the best finished, unreleased, rock album.

16. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident

Ohhh....any link to that poster/cover on the web??

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The Iommi/Hughes album from the mid 90s that didn't see release until about 10 years later.

ifihadafish likes this.
  18. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

All this, and Casablanca was crumbling. PolyGram had invested in the label not knowing it was a financial sinkhole, and for a while Bogart and co. swept all the bad news under the rug. But after the Kiss solo album fiasco, they couldn't hide the huge losses anymore. Once PolyGram figured out just how dire the situation was, they took control and pulled the plug on all of Casablanca's money-losing acts... which was most of them. I would imagine PolyGram figured Peter Criss' second solo album would be as big a dud as the first.

There are a several Casablanca LPs from this time for which promo copies are now more plentiful than retail ones, suggesting that they gave away more copies than they sold. Hard to say if this was due to the albums being total flops, or PolyGram simply writing them off and deleting them without even bothering to try and sell them. Or both.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i saw this album EVERYWHERE when i was a kid in Australia, kiss reached their peak here around 1979 though unlike the US.

20. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Hall & Oates have actively dropped 1977s "Beauty On A Backstreet" from their list of releases. It wasn't included in the album list on their box set and John Oates mentioned in a recent interview that it was an album that they would rather forget. I find that strange, as it is a really strong album with some underrated tracks, favorites being "Winged Bull" and "The Girl Who Used to Be".

Octowen likes this.
  21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Same here. It's the most consistently great Badfinger album from front-to-back.

No Dice and Straight Up contain stronger singles tracks, but there both have weaker filler material (especially No Dice).

22. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's another one I've read about for years but never really known the details. Why did this get pulled? Did Frank have some kind of falling-out with Jobim at the last minute or something?

23. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

And "Why Do Lovers Break Each Others Heart" was a nice song.

Pavlov's Dog recorded a third album for Columbia that never saw the light of day. I believe a few LP's were pressed by the band for local radio stations and the album appeared much later on bootleg CD's (sporting atrocious sound quality)

Original version of Dwight Twilley's "Scuba Divers" was also canned.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Sheryl Crow - scrapped debut album

Probably a good move. Not much here folks IMO, move along please.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

For anyone who wants to hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vSulquS90

To me, it's not really bad, just very bland and forgettable. I can easily understand why it was shelved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.