Albums that were mastered FROM vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyLizard, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, so I have the 1978 Radar records pressing of the 13th Floor Elevators "Easter Everywhere" album. It was supposedly a needledrop, and it sounds pretty good (not much to compare it to but it sounds pretty good)

Are there any other albums out there that we're mastered from a vinyl source? Vinyl or CD (preferably no bootlegs), and what are your thoughts on them?

2. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

The CD of The Real Kids first album on Norton Records sounds like it was mastered from vinyl, though I could be wrong. Sounds good to me.

I think The Wake's second album, "Here Comes Everybody" on LTM is a needledrop, and possibly from off-centre or warped vinyl, judging by a slight quaveriness throughout. A bunch of Factory stuff has (or had) AWOL mastertapes. I wonder if the Captured Tracks vinyl issue reproduces this "mastering", I bet it does (actually, I've just remembered I have it somewhere but haven't played it yet.)

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  3. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Billy Nicholls told me he personally mastered 'Would You Believe' for the Sequel CD reissue from a mint copy of the original Immediate LP.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Domenic Priore told me that Sundazed's Yellow Balloon CD was needledropped from his copy of the LP.

Several of the McMaster'd Blue Note CDs are needledrops, ie: Horace Silver's "The Jody Grind."

MonkeyLizard and McLover like this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I read somewhere that (any) stereo reissues of the LPs "Runaway with Del Shannon" and "1661 Seconds with Del Shannon" were needledrops because the stereo tapes are MIA, but I don't have those.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

[​IMG]

Almost positive that this is from a vinyl source.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  7. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Most albums issued on ABC Records that were reissued on CD (save Steely Dan) were needledropped, no?

Ed

8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Many releases from Light In The Attic.Donnie and Joe Emerson and Lewis spring to mind.Maybe Shin Joong-Hyun as well.

By the way,Nostaljack I love your avatar.I used to shop at Murphy's Mart,too

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

At least the speaking portion at the very beginning of The Tubes' Completion Backward Principle. The vinyl scratches are more than clearly audible. Assuming that this wasn't included with the reels, which were probably the source for the music.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I am convinced that the James Gang 16 Greatest Hits LP on ABC was mastered from vinyl, at least for some songs.

11. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Time-Lag's excellent reissue of The Bachs' Out of the Bachs is from a mint original. Sounds great!

12. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

Hannibal Records first CD's of Phil Ochs's, "All the News That's Fit to Sing" and "I Ain't Marching Anymore" were needle drops.
    Liner notes gave details of their process of how they "de-clicked the vinyl for CD.

13. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Roadrunner Records mid 80's CD release of Au Pairs' "Playing with a different Sex" sounded like a vinyl rip to me.
    Wish I still had it. Great post punk new wave music.

Steve Bromsgrove likes this.
  14. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

Which version are you talking about?
    Capitol, EMI, BGO, Iconoclassic?

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Decca lost the tape master of Kathleen Ferrier singing Mahler and had to issue a disc transfer (from 78) for the cd
    This was a major cock up on Deccas part
    Its a brilliant performance,never bettered.

McLover likes this.
  16. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast
    The non-remastered from Chrysalis in Germany, EAN: 4007196100183 was a needledrop
    (listen to the intro/outro of Seal Driver)

17. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Wasn't the first 30 odd seconds of "Can't stand losing you" by The Police sourced from vinyl on the first cd editions of Outlandos de Amour?

I used to have this disc and you can clearly hear surface noise at the very beginning, then it segues into the mastertape version.

Does anyone know the story behind this?

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Not on my original CD of Outlandos
    Its tape sourced all the way

rxcory likes this.
  19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Thos
    Those awful Deep Purple Mk I albums from the 80's. Awful.

20. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

The jazz classic We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite has to be sourced from some poor quality vinyl, because all CD's I've heard have been terrible. A shame.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Mastered from more than one vinyl record:

[​IMG]

MonkeyLizard and IronWaffle like this.
  22. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Without a doubt:

The first Repertoire issue (jewel case version) of Giorgio Moroder's masterpiece From here to eternity. Apparently there was a new version released a few years ago - never heard it. That first version still sounds pretty good to me.

The Lemon UK version of Poco's Indian summer - a pretty bad needledrop. Both the Original MCA version and the BGO twofer sound way better.

The dreadful CD issue of Jon Anderson's Animation album - a serious contender for the worst needle-drop that ever got an official release. I've made my own needledrop of a pristine Polydor LP that sounds way better, though not fantastic. Still hoping for a proper and good-sounding reissue of this album, although it appears that the Original master tapes are lost.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  23. The only ones I can really think of are the Kraftwerk 1, 2, Ralf & Florian bootleg CDs you can find.

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Far, far too many to list.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Try the reissued LP on Drastic Plastic. Not mastered from vinyl, good sound.

kronning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.