Albums that were mastered FROM vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyLizard, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Every instance of the Tommy James' song "Hanky Panky" on CD, LP, or 45 is from a needle drop (other than the original 45).

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

John Miles - "Zaragon" on Lemon Records.

Definite needledrop, and not a good one, either.

Pity, because it's a great album deserving of much better treatment - and confusing, because a compilation released a couple of years earlier (called the John Miles Anthology, IIRC) had pristine versions of two of the songs off the album.

So somebody has/had access to the master tapes...

3. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

According to Lennon at least one track on the Shaved Fish compilation (Power To The People) is a needledrop because the master tape couldn't be found. He also said the master for Cold Turkey was missing.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

No pop at 8" but the vocal entry by sting is scruffy
    The whole track is patchy,drop outy and weaving
    Must be a rough mix,still works,it was 'Punk' after all
    Send me your mail address, and I will mp3 it to you

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

Nobby thanks for the kind words but your are "king" of Can't Stand Loosing You

I do not hear a dropout at around 1:11 on Can't Stand Loosing You on my D32Y. I tried a dozen times and failed to hear any at or around the mark mentioned. I also tried my WG For US and Japan for US 3xCSR and same result.

Any chance for a upload a 20 sec sample that contains the drop?

P.S. Spinning my WG for US bring back some great memories, it was my Mom's CD and boy do I miss her.

6. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

The Lemon CD reissue of Ray Manzarek's 'Golden Scarab' was sourced from an LP, I'm pretty sure.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads (Folkways Records) reissue is most likely transferred from the original 78 rpm discs.

8. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

I think the OP's original intent was albums that have been mastered from a vinyl source in lieu of a master tape, or just sloppy work on the part of companies that won't search for a tape source. Culling stuff from acetate (ie: the early demo cuts on the Beckology box set) or glass/metal masters or the only remaining copy of a 78 (ie: Robert Johnston, Skip Jams, et al...) doesn't count IMHO.

Now that threadcrapping is over, I believe the first Canadian CD copy of The Guess Who's "So Long Bannatyne" was mastered from an LP, then secretly re-issued when the tape was located. I think this was only issued in Canada by RCA/BMG. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

9. TylerSt

TylerSt Active Member

I believe both of the newly discovered Lewis Baloue albums are mastered from vinyl. Whether the tapes are lost, destroyed or in someone elses hands, nobody knows.

10. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Was it the Rod Stewart box or the Beck box where the US label was impatient and just did not wait for the UK masters to arrive? For one of those boxes, that is why they resorted to needle drops. In the early days the two artists were together so the question is not brain dead.

11. As I recall it always sounded like that including when I had the original vinyl. It's supposed to sound like that.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Possible, but my recollection was that it was crisp. Of course, the vinyl was purchased back around '91 and given up around '92. So, that might be a faded memory. If Feeway Bill or Roger Steen pop by the forum, maybe one of them can clarify.

13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

14. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Wow, there are plenty, and most of them are terrible. An it's not always because the masters are lost, it can be a money saving tactic. When I used to remaster for Cherry Red records, my sources were often the vinyl in my collection, but I had developed a reputation at that point for being one of the best for vinyl remasters. And I will say, I'm pretty damn good. I even set up a YouTube audio channel a few days ago just to post some of my remasters in high quality for people to enjoy or discover, all from the New Wave and Post Punk era, most of which have never been on CD:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6yZiroYOHGN1HdM2Q_g4iw/feed

Some poor quality vinyl remasters that had been available on CD but the versions are now out of print are:

Krisma - Clandestine Anticipation
    Eyeless in Gaza - Drumming the Beating Heart (I have since remastered this for the label)
    Classix Nouveaux - Secret

And for some unknown reason, the 3 albums by Altered Images on iTunes are all needle drops, and not good ones, even though all have been on CD at some point from master tapes.

Scott

15. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I had that version too and it was obviously a needle drop. The 2 fers that were released later sound much better.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I've now listened to Can't Stand Loosing You from the UK CD (Thanks Nobby). The drop out, actually more like a volume bump up, is apparent at the 1:11 mark. The D32Y is the contains the superior digital version of the of the album track for the reason nobby detailed [see post below]. For the single version 1986's Every Breath YOu Take The Singles is my preferred by a large margin.

adding this to the main Police on CD thread..

17. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

The LITA reissue of the second Rodriguez album, Coming From Reality.

STEREO reissues of Gene Chandler's "Duke Of Earl" (Collectables)

Jack Scott's Carlton label recordings (Bear Family, etc)

Roy Hamilton's MGM and AGP label material (Cherry Red, Poker)

A few tracks on Real Gone Music's recent Grass Roots and Ronnie Dove CD's

The O'Kaysions "Girl Watcher" (the ABC "master tape" is a dub of a North State 45)

18. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Kenny Rankin's "Silver Morning" is a needle drop, and a bad one at that - audible pops and clicks between some tracks. A shame because that's my favorite album of his and I was hoping for a mastering that had more depth and tonality than the vinyl version. At least his other albums on the Little David label appear to be sourced from tape.

McLover likes this.
  19. Bill lives in the town next to me and teaches music at a local music shop. If I have time or can catch him before the holidays, I'll ask him. The others play in the Bay Area quite frequently so if I catch a show I'll pop them a question on that ask well but my recollection is that it was meant to sound that way like a cheaply pressed record.

Say It Right likes this.
  20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

You can add pretty much any compilation of obscure 60s,surf,garage,and psych.These are almost all mastered from needle drops.

In the case of pre war recordings,most metal parts and stampers are long gone,except for some opera,and the most popular jazz and pop music artists.

21. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Hey man, my RCA "Bannatyne" is the "secret" remaster, done from tape ( i think...) Its really clean and sounds great, can't hear any surface noise or turntable rumble. I think RCA/BMG used the same catalog number (06192-10615-2) but don't know if the matrix in the center hub was the same. (from what I can see with my eyes, it says #900219CC, Mfg By Cinram, 06192106152).

22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Max Roach/Abbey Lincoln - Freedom Now Suite
    Attilio Mineo - Man in Space with Sounds

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

[​IMG]
    "Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead," by Vivian Stanshall, originally issued on WB via tape master in 1974, but at some point the master for side two vanished. Reissued on LP/CD by Poppydisc -- officially sanctioned -- in 2012, with side two being sourced from vinyl.

24. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

It's never been officially released on CD, but I understand that there are some unofficial CDs out there that do come from a tape source.
    I've heard this one is tape source. Good luck finding one.

25. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have the old Japanese "Raw Tracks" EP cd that includes a couple tracks off the original Leathur mix that don't sound like they're vinyl sourced. Do you know if they are or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.