Albums That Were Recorded FOR Quadraphonic Sound.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The only special Quad cartridges are for CD-4. Some Sansui models had CD-4 decoders as optional. For QS and SQ, the same cartridge you use for normal Stereo works just fine. Some cartridges with line contact styli, and with suitably wide response, can work well for CD-4 even if not advertised to do so.

2. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Someone was hinting in another thread that AF was going to stop releasing 4.0 SACD discs. I'm really at a loss to understand how the modern digital age has not fully embraced multi channel audio music for home release. More homes than ever before have surround home theater systems, but the artist and labels have little interest in producing any. The multiple albums that already exist from the 70's should have all been released by now. And new artist should be using the surround capabilities to increase interest in consumer product. Yet the trend is to do the opposite and brick wall and limit new releases. I am baffled by the lack of interest.

3. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

And there’s 5.1 FLAC as well. You can bypass the cost of physical media costs and release these mixes online for download.

While a lot of homes do have 5.1, the shift has been for less speakers, soundbars and Bluetooth speakers. We’re going backwards in Hi-Fi when we haven’t even explored what’s ahead.

quicksrt likes this.
  4. DaFreud

DaFreud New Member

I did an internet search for albums recorded in quadraphonic and found this form. Very cool! One album that I had always heard was in quadraphonic was Billy Thorpe's Children Of The Sun. Does anyone know anything about that?

paulisdead and sunspot42 like this.
  5. paulisdead

This is a late post, but needs to be mentioned in this thread.

The Unlikely Return of Quadraphonic Vinyl | ProSoundNetwork.com

Suzanne Ciani‘s LIVE Quadraphonic is the first album to be recorded for quad in four decades.

It’s encoded in QS and the vinyl LP comes with a decoder designed by Involve Audio. I’ve heard the decoder at last year’s Australian Hi-Fi Show and the results were amazing. I was told by the Chucky from Involve that the Surround Master Encoder (a device made by Invovle) is coming back on the market with a newer and nicer looking metal casing. This device can decode QS and EV out of the box and you can get an upgrade to decode SQ as well.

quicksrt and sunspot42 like this.
  6. paulisdead

Getting back Ciani, I highly recommend the lastest episode of The Vinyl Guide Podcast, which talks to the project’s producer about the album and the history of Quad.

Ep154: The Brief History of Quadraphonic Records

Also Techmoan review the album.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Seconded. And a lot of Project 3 records were recorded with Quad in mind in that time period.

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere that the Tommy soundtrack album is encoded in QS.

EDIT:

9. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

paulisdead likes this.
  10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I had "Overnite Sensation" as a quad 8-track in my car back in the day. It was very interesting to listen to in that format.

paulisdead likes this.
  11. paulisdead

The film was released in “Quintaphonic” sound. This once off, modified Quad system was 4 channel matrix in QS on the first two channel of the 4-track audio of the print, a discreet centre channel on the third track and the forth track was left silent.

So it’s quite possible that QS Matrix was considered for the soundtrack album

mBen989 likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I heard the quad mix of Dark Side ages ago thanks to the Internet.

In my opinion, it's to Dark Side what the stereo mix is to Revolver.

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Too cute.

mBen989 likes this.
  14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I still don't know why Zaireeka by The Flaming Lips still hasn't been issued on a DVD>SACD or Blu-ray. Seemed like a waste of recording to me

Zaireeka - Wikipedia

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Audio Fidelity did much for bringing surround 5.1 and 4.0 to the modern playback era. It is too bad that sales of physical media is shrinking just as this was happening.

But there does seem to be an equal number of modern 5.1 mixes of classic recordings as there is old quad 4.0 mixes of classic recordings. So many good ones to choose from at this time if one is interested.

16. paulisdead

Because, technically, Zaireeka is an 8 channel album (4 stereo discs - so Atmos maybe?). Besides, the whole point is that the content is different every time because of the nature of how it was intended to be played back (through 4 different stereos).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.