Albums where the record company broke down and cried or laughed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beagle, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member Thread Starter

Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Michael Jackson-Invincible
    Fleetwood Mac-Tusk
    Motels-All Four One (1st version)

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear

Regards,

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

boo hoo hoo

Mariah Carey "Glitter"

:(

Peace,
    Norm

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Peter Frampton - "I'm In You"
    Lou Reed - "Metal Machine Music"

HeavyDistortion

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Yeah, but they were laughing when "Frampton Comes Alive" came out of nowhere.....

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Good one, seeing as how it was intended to stick it to his ex-wife, who just happened to be Berry Gordy's sister!:D

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

EMI is still crying over Mariah Carey for Glitter!:)

8. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

I rememeber MC hammer flying in to Holland to promote hist latest CD (At that time). He brought 10 body guards to protect him from the fans at the Airport.
    Those bodyguards had not much trouble with the 4 fans!

I Can't remember the name of the CD.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The soundtrack to the movie version of "Sgt. Pepper." Having the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton on the same project must have seemed like a potential goldmine at the time!

10. Mike

Mike New Member

Carly Hennessy - Ultimate High (MCA).

According to the Wall Street Journal - 2.2 million dollars spent, 378 copies sold.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

A good call. I bet the record company was almost as distraught when he delivered "Live - Take No Prisoners" also. :)

I suppose we should add Stevie Wonder's "Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants" and the whole Prince "Black Album/Lovesexy" debacle to the list.

Regards,

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I wonder if Robert Stigwood shook his head later on this one.

13. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

How about Van Dyke Parks' song Cycle? I think I remember seeing ads from them trying to have a "Buy 1, get another for 1 cent" sale. And another one with the headline "How we lost $$$ on the record of the year" or something like that.

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

One of the biggest fiascos in record industry history. RSO thinking this was a surefire hit shipped out 8 million albums and got back 5 million in returns!!! You could find this album in cutout bins for years afterward for 50 cents. Funny since the album retailed for $13. Ironically, since this soundtrack was released on the heels of "Saturday Night Fever" and "Grease", the massive sales of those two albums helped absorb the losses of the "Sgt. Pepper" soundtrack. I know I laughed when it got reissued on CD a couple of years ago. Although it wasn't all bad. Of course it had Earth Wind & Fire's great version of "Got To Get You Into My Life", Aerosmith's version of "Come Together", and Billy Preston's solo version of "Get Back".

15. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Bob Dylan's - Self Portrait

16. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Dylan

Never released in the States on CD!

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, $13 in 1978 (the year it came out) equals to $35.39 today. I found this out at http://www.aier.org/colcalc.html

Many younger buyers did have a hard time saving $13 for it at the time. Based on these figures, the cost of recordings have gone down over the years.

18. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Richard,

That's odd, it's going for $9.58 at CDNow. Besides, the thread is on titles when they were first released. Which would mean LP's. If I'm sounding like a smart ass, I apologize.

Joe:D

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I know Geffen wasn't too happy with most if not all of Neil Young's 80's albums. I think "Trans" might have pushed them over the edge!

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

From what I've heard, the straw that really broke the camel's back was when David Geffen demanded that Neil Young make a rock and roll album Neil made "Everybody's Rockin'" which was all 50's rockabilly style tunes. Apparently then was when the lawsuits started flying. I always thought it was a pretty cool album. Loved "I'm Wonderin'" on that one.

21. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Dylan was a spite album. It was released to pay Dylan back for leaving the label. They dug up tapes Columbia Records knew he did not want released.

22. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I would add Lenny Kravitz 'Circus' and Judas Priest 'Turbo' to that list.

23. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

beastie boys-"paul's boutique"

capitol records exec's heads rolled when this was issued in 1989, ironic in light of the fact that it's arguably their best album.

capitol had just signed the group and were hoping they had a huge follow-up to "licensed to ill". they didn't. the album stiffed and every exec associated with the group or the album found themselves out of a job.

"paul's boutique" is still one of the most creative use of samples on a recording you're likely to find out there.

later, chris

24. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Cool thread.
    I know that his life was pretty screwed up when it was recorded, but Lenny Kravitz "Circus" never seemed that unusual to me- disillusioned sure, but not overly uncommercial.
    I love albums that are record label pariah's, or just plain head-shakers.
    I was actually listening to the second album of Michael Jackson "HIStory", the new songs, and that has got to be one of the most bizarre collections of songs ever. What did his label think ("he said "****", he said "****"!" :p )?! Who is that guy whose name he keeps repeating in "D.S"??? Incrdible how he went from a fascinating, and bizarre collection of songs to "Invincible", which was just a boring collection of modern R&B, with nothing remotely interesting.

I haven't read the new biography, but I always though "Trans" was Neil trying to please his new record label, because they wanted something "modern" sounding- like Peter Gabriel. He was all said to deliever "Island In The Sun", which was a "typical" Neil Young album (of which "Little Thing Called Love", "Like An Inca" and "Hold On To Your Love" survived).

nashreed

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have to agree whole heartedly with this one. Paul's Boutique is a very hearty stew of tasty sound samples, breakdowns, and lyric stealing. It's funky. It's funny. It's deep. It's almost an hour of crazy ideas that could have gotten to 2 hrs in length. I own the "Shadrach" single with the odd "B" sides (Some Dumb Cop Gave Me Two Tickets Already, Your Girlfriend's Def, Stuck In The Middle Of A 3-way Mix). All of these were primitive studio ideas with advance mindsets of timing and retro. If most Spin and fashion magazines were emulating it, this album was becoming it musically =at that time=.... Trendy, inventive and artistic using colors never used ever on record.

I'm not a fan of rap whatsoever, but someone took "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) and synched it with the "The End" from Abbey Road. Once I heard that, the rest of the album pulled me in. Someone was a pathetic genius behind the mixer and splicing block. Sick stuff. This album became to rap, was like how Velvet Underground & Nico was to rock. It sold millions, but not as much as Capitol thought. Still, a lot of people listen and re-analize this record. Out-of-Phase tricks, compression, old drum machinenes and a front cover that gives a realizistic view of 3-4 streets of Brooklyn, all at the same time. Paul's Boutique is a cult classic that rivals the experience of most monster movies on a great big alchaholic buzz.

I think the Beastie Boy camp gave Capitol something no one could top. They were right. I don't think the Beasties did anything even close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.