Albums with fantastic songs, that suffer from poor sequencing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run

Side 1
    01 Band On The Run
    02 Mrs. Vandebilt
    03 Let Me Roll It
    04 Helen's Wheels
    05 Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)

Side 2
    06 Jet
    07 Bluebird
    08 Mamunia
    09 No Words
    10 Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five

Hep Alien, DocShipe, Squealy and 2 others like this.
  2. Queen's Jazz album is definitely a frustrating example from a sequencing perspective, though I wouldn't change either the opening or closing tracks - Mustapha was clearly mixed to have listeners frantically checking their equipment, only to be startled when the louder section finally kicks in, while More Of That Jazz is a similarly constructed excuse to feature a mash-up of the album's previous tracks (or at least those completed by the time of its recording). More than anything, the one detail that annoys me about Jazz is the separation of Fat Bottomed Girls and Bicycle Race, which appears to have been made late into the mastering stage, as an early LP assembly exists with these obviously connected songs placed back to back. Perhaps they didn't want to repeat the effect of News Of The World, where We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions remained together not only on their parent album, but for much of their time in subsequent live setlists? Also, rather than its ending fading out, the aforementioned test pressing had Don't Stop Me Now seamlessly blend into the piano opening to Jealousy, and this particular version was even played once at a fan convention. In addition to a possible remix to bring out the drum and guitar elements, I'm hoping we'll eventually see this more logical running order finally restored...

P.S. The early instrumental version of Coming Soon doesn't actually date from the Jazz period, but was recorded during the initial batch of sessions for what became The Game in 1979. I'm not sure if this is an official title, though a copy was made from a convention playback and circulates under the name of Sandbox.

KIDNEYS!!! and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why is the sequencing poor?

Galaga King and Jimmy B. like this.
  4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Crown of Creation should have opened with the title track instead of Lather.

6. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I always thought "Jet", with its great intro, made a perfect side opener. I never liked it right after the title song, especially lyrically. But I do think the lines "Down in the jungle, living in a tent, you don't use money, you don't pay rent" from "Mrs. Vandebilt" fit nicely and it keeps the flow moving.

"Let Me Roll It" into "Helen Wheels" is also a good match, pairing the two rockers and capitalizing on the roll/wheel theme.

I prefer "No Words" into "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five" rather than "Picasso's Last Words", which is a nice Side 1 long closing track.

I was trying to consider flow and lyrics, again the most jarring mismatch being "Band On The Run" into "Jet".

Hep Alien and Monosterio like this.
  7. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I often think George Harrison's solo albums from '74 to '82 suffer from sequencing issues. I would never say Thirty-three & 1/3 has "fantastic songs", but it is a pretty strong album, and a solid tier-2 Beatles solo record.

But its sequencing is wonky as heck. There are 10 tracks, and in my opinion the three best all come at the very end: 'Pure Smokey', 'Crackerbox Palace', and 'Learning How to Love You'.

Hep Alien and DocShipe like this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I don’t care for the first-side sequencing of The Cars’ debut, as the first three songs all sound like side openers to me. There’s absolutely no flow there, IMO.

However, I don’t know what to do about it. And the last thing I want to do is mess with the terrific side 2 sequencing... :shrug:

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Hmm...that’s pretty darn good.

Ken.e., davesmoked, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I agree that "She Has Funny Cars" is a killer opening song. I never thought about changing the closing song on Surrealistic Pillow. "Comin' Back To Me" would work nicely. So would "Embryonic Journey."

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Since "Picasso's Last Words" has a quote from "Jet", it wouldn't make much since to me to have it sequenced before "Jet." I love Band On the Run the way it is, including the US addition of "Helen Wheels" which makes the 2 sides more symmetrical and hooks the album with another hit single.

Pierino likes this.
  12. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

The Next Day - David Bowie.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

On Dusty In Memphis, "Windmills of Your Mind" would have made a stronger closing song than "If You Got To Make a Fool of Somebody."
    On the Bee Gees' 2 Years On, "The First Mistake I Made" would have been a much better closing song than to have the album just peter out at the end with the slight "I'm Weeping." The Bee Gees usually came up with great closing songs, but not this time.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Oops! Dusty In Memphis closes with "I Can't Make It Alone", and doesn't even include "If You Got To Make A Fool...". I think I was confusing it with the Vanilla Fudge's Rock and Roll album, released the same year and also containing "Windmills Of Your Mind" and "I Can't Make It Alone". The Fudge album ends with "If You Got To Make A Fool...", but IMO, "Lord In the Country" would have made a much better closing song. And I still say "Windmills" would have made a better closing song on Dusty In Memphis.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Beach Boys - Shut Down Vol II

."Fun, Fun, Fun"
    "In the Parkin' Lot"
    "Keep an Eye on Summer"
    "This Car of Mine"
    "Shut Down, Part II"
    "The Warmth of the Sun"

"Dont Worry Baby"
    "Why Do Fools Fall in Love"
    "Pom, Pom Play Girl"
    "Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson"
    "Louie, Louie"
    "Dennys Drums"

Still fizzles at the end. Needs "Be True To School" single version.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  16. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

Do you happen to know the sequence you mentioned? It would be be pretty nice to see that! :D

ShardEnder likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Friends Will Be Friends' sounds more like an album closer to me. And I'd open Side 2 with 'Princes Of The Universe'.

Teufelzkerl likes this.
  18. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

The Beach Boys - Love You

Side 1
    01 Let Us Go On This Way
    02 Roller Skating Child
    03 Let's Put Our Hearts Together
    04 Good Time
    05 Honkin' Down The Highway
    06 I Wanna Pick You Up
    07 Ding Dang

Side 2
    08 Johnny Carson
    09 Mona
    10 The Night Was So Young
    11 I'll Bet He's Nice
    12 Solar System
    13 Airplane
    14 Love Is A Woman

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. EchoStars24

EchoStars24 Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect the album for me, but McCartney II has two problems. The sequencing's not good, and it feels empty to me without it being a double album.

1. Coming Up
    2. Temporary Secretary
    3. Waterfalls
    4. Front Parlour
    5. Nobody Knows

1. On the Way
    2. Frozen Jap
    3. Bogey Music
    4. Darkroom
    5. Summer's Day Song
    6. One of These Days

If it was a double album:

1. Coming Up (Full-Length Version)
    2. On the Way
    3. Nobody Knows
    4. Bogey Music
    5. Temporary Secretary

1. Check My Machine (Full-Length Version)
    2. All You Horse Riders
    3. Blue Sway

1. Secret Friend
    2. Summer's Day Song (Original Version Without Vocals)
    3. Darkroom (Full-Length Version)
    4. Bogey Wobble

1. Mr. H Atom
    2. Waterfalls
    3. Frozen Jap
    4. You Know I'll Get You Baby
    5. Front Parlour
    6. One of These Days

I tried to put the more upbeat, commercial songs on side one, and put the more ambient songs on side three. Side two and four are a mix. I tried to spread out the instrumentals more. There's still the problem with Front Parlour and Frozen Jap being close to each other on side four, but whatever

Hep Alien and DocShipe like this.
  20. I once saw this mentioned online, but it's no longer available from what I can tell - two different early tracklists were more recently presented as part of the Queen Studio Experiencein Montreux, so I'm guessing QPL had this information pulled to keep it exclusive for those attending this exhibition. At the very least, a copy of the originally intended piano segue from Don't Stop Me Now into Jealousy circulates on YouTube along with the unedited instrumental track from the latter song, which includes an additional brief piece that was later recycled into part of Play The Game (both are wrongly described as demos, if that helps anyone to find these).

Dr. Robert likes this.
  21. Now here's one album I'd never be able to bring myself to resequence, partly because I've always considered the original running order to be a reflection of Brian Wilson in late 1976, similar to how The Beach Boys Today! had served as a similar snapshot into his mind just over a decade earlier. Indeed, these two LPs have quite a lot in common, with both sharing the same basic concept of their first sides being just a collection of the group's latest songs, while their second halves contain more reflective material with greater thematic cohesion.

22. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I've never been a fan of the slow side/fast side or latest songs/reflective material concept. I've found Side 2 to drag too much, even with The Beach Boys Today!, as good as those songs are. I prefer a mixture of fast songs and slow songs, along with some lyrical...coordination.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

To me, the song selection on The Monkees' Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones is ppretty poor, as two of the best songs from the sessions were left off. So I ended up with:

Side One:
    01 Special Announcement
    02 Salesman (extended version)
    03 She Hangs Out
    04 Love is Only Sleeping
    05 Words
    06 Cuddly Toy
    07 Don't Call On Me
    08 Goin' Down
    Side Two
    09 The Door into Summer
    10 Daydream Believer
    11 What Am I Doing Hanging Round?
    12 Daily Nightly
    13 Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky
    14 Pleasant Valley Sunday
    15 Star Collector (extended version)

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've had this album for years and have barely played it, perceiving it as being bland. I probably didn't even turn it over! I'll have to play it the wrong way round soon.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  25. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Hot Space by Queen. So misunderstood...
    Side A
    Put Out The Fire
    Dancer
    Under Pressure
    Body Language
    Action This Day

Side B
    Staying Power
    Calling All Girls
    Life is Real
    Backchat
    Soul Brother
    Las Palabras de Amor

... this sequence doesn’t scare off the rock fans so fast.

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.